"Capitalized Words" - April 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

DrTom wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm On shore, tried to make it a little harder than it was because there is yet another pattern I ma wondering if others saw? Anyway, I like my second choice (and first I submitted) better.

I drove past Woodstock area in 1969 on my way to the Catskills with my paramour of the time making the comment, "looks like it will be way too busy and it's only a concert, besides it might rain", seems like I was no smarter then than now.
Sounds like it could be a line out of “Small Circle of Friends”
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On shore. Pretty quick swim. And now for watching the NFL draft.... kind of sad that I’m anticipating it so much for a sports “fix”
TPS

Post by TPS »

Well I guess this is the week my streak ends. The Grid was easy but not seeing anything for the meta.

At least I'll have something to do all weekend.
Last edited by TPS on Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Nice and easy one. On shore. Will give us plenty of time to agonize over tomorrow's MGWCC.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:27 pm Well I guess this is the week my streak ends. The Grid was easy but not seeing anything for the meta.
It's only Thursday. You've got plenty of time. You'll get it!
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

Onshore! Had to look at it three times but it finally dawned on me.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Ashore galore! And now back to Fauda... Anyone looking for a bingeworthy show will not be disappointed!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:42 pm Firmly on shore.

I made up for it by attending multiple Grateful Dead concerts (where they were coherent, unlike at Woodstock).
I think the amps blew while the Dead was performing. Or something. It’s not clear. And who knows if that affected coherence.
TPS

Post by TPS »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:35 pm
TPS wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:27 pm Well I guess this is the week my streak ends. The Grid was easy but not seeing anything for the meta.
It's only Thursday. You've got plenty of time. You'll get it!
I doubt it - I usually get it the first night or not at all. Also, I'm way too young to know Woodstock bands. I also am very bad at metas with incredible difficult methodologies - I can get easy ones like the past two weeks week the answer is just literally staring you in the face. Ones that require another step I can never get.
Last edited by TPS on Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Ashore!

Thanks to Matt and Mike for a gentle puzzle during this mind numbing quarantine.
Jack Sullivan
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:09 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm On shore, tried to make it a little harder than it was because there is yet another pattern I ma wondering if others saw? Anyway, I like my second choice (and first I submitted) better.

I drove past Woodstock area in 1969 on my way to the Catskills with my paramour of the time making the comment, "looks like it will be way too busy and it's only a concert, besides it might rain", seems like I was no smarter then than now.
Sounds like it could be a line out of “Small Circle of Friends”
I was an extra in that movie. Got a free haircut out of it. (I had a ponytail previously -- damn hippie!)
Rufus T. Firefly
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Meta done. Finished. Kaput. 🤸🏼‍♂️
I have no first hand knowledge of Woodstock, but have waaay too much of stocking wood for a good winter’s supply. So off to help the ashore Muggles gather lots for a celebratory beach bonfire.
🔥🔥🍣🍻🍻🍻
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

boharr wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:40 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:42 pm Firmly on shore.

I made up for it by attending multiple Grateful Dead concerts (where they were coherent, unlike at Woodstock).
I think the amps blew while the Dead was performing. Or something. It’s not clear. And who knows if that affected coherence.
There were other things that affected their coherence. Mr. Augustus Owsley Stanley provided them. Supposedly (unwittingly -- yeah, right) led to a great performance by Mr. Carlos Santana. Not the baseball player.
Rufus T. Firefly
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

On Shore. We'll bring chocolate and marshmellows for s'mores for MaineMarge's bonfire. Happy times.
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

Ashore! I envy those that got to experience Woodstock. I was born about 3 years after. What an experience that must have been!
-Doug Morack
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I also have an "almost" answer that fits for the Monday discussion.
Rufus T. Firefly
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Tom-As I’ll explain on Monday, only one answer fits.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Ok - I think I got something akin to a methodology. Printing the grid really does help - I guess I should save that statement until I am actually onshore.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Ok - I think I am onshore and if I am its funny because if my answer is right - it is one of only two bands I knew performed at Woodstock.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:51 pmThere were other things that affected their coherence. Mr. Augustus Owsley Stanley provided them.
See, I know who that is. Mainly because I’m a big Steely Dan fan.