"Look Inside" - April, 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:43 am
MarkL wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 pm Grid done, but Isaacizing. Going to have to print working grid #2 and keep at it. Cheers!
I just noticed your tag line. I wonder how many muggles are old enough to know where that comes from?
Well I'm not THAT old and I know where it comes from but I know where it comes from because of Stand By Me - I definitely didn't watch the show in its original run.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TPS wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:04 am
MarkL wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 pm Grid done, but Isaacizing. Going to have to print working grid #2 and keep at it. Cheers!
I just noticed your tag line. I wonder how many muggles are old enough to know where that comes from?
Well I'm not THAT old and I know where it comes from but I know where it comes from because of Stand By Me - I definitely didn't watch the show in its original run.
I am and I did.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Still on the ship. Right off the bat I saw something that has to be part of the solution. But the fog has rolled in, and I can’t find the other parts.
Jay
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Wow - that was fun! On shore. The last few weeks have had some of the most satisfying solves in a while.

Hats off to Marie!!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 am

I am and I did.
Me too
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 am Still on the ship. Right off the bat I saw something that has to be part of the solution. But the fog has rolled in, and I can’t find the other parts.
Same. After a half-hour I saw something too but nothing has materialized.... The fog is thick here around the boat.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm on the ship still having a soda water with Isaac. I've been on a good streak lately and feel uncomfortable to be so challenged! Can't seem to find a start even yet.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our early Friday report

We welcome our newest muggle bigmelr1180.

And we have 14 on the ship and 28 on the shore. It seems that Mike/Marie is trying to keep up with Matt from last week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MarkL wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 pm ...
Have Pint Glass, Will Travel!
But of course! It's from Robert Heinlein's classic juvenile SF novel, "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"! I remember it well! (Yes, I've been a nerd for a very long time:)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I grok that, but no grok this meta.

:(
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:01 pm
MarkL wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:31 pm ...
Have Pint Glass, Will Travel!
But of course! It's from Robert Heinlein's classic juvenile SF novel, "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"! I remember it well! (Yes, I've been a nerd for a very long time:)
Barbara - how about if we take a vote for either Have Gun, Will Travel from the 50's TV show or have Spacesuit, Will Travel from the SF novel. I will put my money on the TV show - :)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Barbara - how about if we take a vote for either Have Gun, Will Travel from the 50's TV show or have Spacesuit, Will Travel from the SF novel. I will put my money on the TV show - :)
Paladin gets my vote and it's easier than this meta!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Money? Are you buying votes? This isn't going to turn into one of those negative campaigns with dirty tricks and mudslinging and all that, is it?
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Hector wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:09 pm Went very enjoyably (week 2-ish, MG-wise), after wasting much of the day (instead of doing the puzzle) working with four separate heating firms to diagnose a broken furnace. I'll celebrate this fun meta sitting in front of the . . . oh, yeah, we're out of firewood, too.

As a Californian, I need to know: approximately how many Manhattan cocktails does your body require to prevent freezing solid with extended exposure to temps in the 50s?
RE: your question: the absolute number of cocktails does not matter. One simply must maintain a constant level integrated over the desired time span of about one drink in the system. (One drink, in this case = 1 Manhattan made with standard beverages.) (For fellow geeks among Muggles, alcohol metabolism is steady-state, aka. zeroth order.) Bottom line. Have a Manhattan. An hour or so later, have another. Repeat. Enjoy. Stay warm. Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Remember Winston Churchill: "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." Cheers ....
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

boharr wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:39 am
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 am

I am and I did.
Me too
Ditto.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Natalie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:58 pm RE: your question: the absolute number of cocktails does not matter. One simply must maintain a constant level integrated over the desired time span of about one drink in the system. (One drink, in this case = 1 Manhattan made with standard beverages.) (For fellow geeks among Muggles, alcohol metabolism is steady-state, aka. zeroth order.) Bottom line. Have a Manhattan. An hour or so later, have another. Repeat. Enjoy. Stay warm. Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Remember Winston Churchill: "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." Cheers ....
Interesting! Does the same reasoning apply to Sazerac cocktails? On second thought, don't tell me -- sometimes armchair reasoning and the empirical method are happily compatible.

And "Have Gun..." does ring a bell. Would have been re-runs, and I don't remember actually watching them.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Hector wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:08 pm
Natalie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:58 pm RE: your question: the absolute number of cocktails does not matter. One simply must maintain a constant level integrated over the desired time span of about one drink in the system. (One drink, in this case = 1 Manhattan made with standard beverages.) (For fellow geeks among Muggles, alcohol metabolism is steady-state, aka. zeroth order.) Bottom line. Have a Manhattan. An hour or so later, have another. Repeat. Enjoy. Stay warm. Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Remember Winston Churchill: "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me." Cheers ....
Interesting! Does the same reasoning apply to Sazerac cocktails? On second thought, don't tell me -- sometimes armchair reasoning and the empirical method are happily compatible.

And "Have Gun..." does ring a bell. Would have been re-runs, and I don't remember actually watching them.
Yep ... and I heartily endorse empiricism in such matters. Individual variations can be significant. Enjoy the experiment! : ) ) )
Guy

Post by Guy »

I am having fun chasing the rabbit, but it would be more fun to catch the critter. For the record, Manhattans and Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, rock.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On Shore.
RIP BIll Withers.
Aptly, "Ain't No Sunshine" in the local forecast this weekend.