"Variety Show" - March 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

Made it to shore. Enjoying an “umbrella drink” in my home island here in S.E. Michigan. Upside is no driving while drinking at homestead. 😉👍🏼🍷
Inca

Post by Inca »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:26 am So yeah, my "story" is going to be nothing more than a quick description of "La chasse du lapine." But I did want to mention something cool I'm doing with my grandkids (I never had grandparents, so I wasn't familiar with the whole "when I was young, my grandfather used to..." kind of thing). But I've always done mystery hunts with my kids, and now my grandkids -- you know, read a clue which leads you to another clue, etc., until you find the treasure. But this time, I'm writing a kids mystery in the style of the old Juvenile Fiction mystery books -- even using the same font and style. They are the characters -- the Adventure Kids Detective Agency -- and I mail them a chapter every week or so which, so far, sets up the story and had them solve a coded message from Mr. E who has heard of their agency, and wants to hire them to find his lost [something or other]. Eventually, it'll get out of the book phase and into the physical stage, where they'll have to solve puzzles, collect objects to use later on (e.g., they might get a blank sheet of paper and remember that they found a black light a couple of steps ago...). They're loving it, I'm loving it... and hopefully someday they'll tell their kids "when I was young, my grandfather used to..."
I'd say you've got a real good grasp of the "grandfather thing". That is a great idea! And clever
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

DBMiller wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:18 pm
Geoduck wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:43 am What is this "Kas-2" I keep seeing?
forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35
Thanks!~ I should have thought to check there.
juliet

Post by juliet »

My meta-solving style is usually in sync with Shenk's puzzles, however, I'm still on board, taking comfort that the effort to find the solution is creating new synaptic connections.
Inca

Post by Inca »

That's weird. I posted a whole long post and it got lost in cyberspace. Maybe that's a sign that I shouldn't have posted it. Part of what I wrote was that I wasn't seeing it and then I went back through previous puzzles a bit and came back and I think I've now got it because it can't be coincidence. I'm not that into it, I guess, with all that I am hearing here in the hot spot of corona virus. Praying for my husband's friend who is in critical condition and others I've heard of and also heard of some deaths in the community (albeit I did not know them personally). And, when there does not seem to be an end in sight, it is almost unbearably taxing.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

On shore! And not the ten-letter word that first came to mind.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Dom beat me to shore and then had to cajole me to get me on track. We’re here. I’m the curmudgeon keeping social distance and murmuring about how this was not my favorite meta ever, not by a long shot.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

AnnP wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:19 pm On shore! And not the ten-letter word that first came to mind.
So sorry Inca. It's a terrible time. Hope your husband's friend pulls through.
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Don't know why that post came up instead of Inca's. Sorry AnneP.
Heidi
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

Inca wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:11 pm That's weird. I posted a whole long post and it got lost in cyberspace. Maybe that's a sign that I shouldn't have posted it. Part of what I wrote was that I wasn't seeing it and then I went back through previous puzzles a bit and came back and I think I've now got it because it can't be coincidence. I'm not that into it, I guess, with all that I am hearing here in the hot spot of corona virus. Praying for my husband's friend who is in critical condition and others I've heard of and also heard of some deaths in the community (albeit I did not know them personally). And, when there does not seem to be an end in sight, it is almost unbearably taxing.
Yes, it's the uncertainty of it all that is so hard. I have to force myself away from the constant news to stay sane. Take care
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

This one eludes me. Not even a trace of rabbit in sight. OTOH, I got the MCWCC (or whatever it's called now) almost immediately.
Jay
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

I have seen these Friday puzzles for a while but never took the time to see what they are all about. Instead, I had my heart primed for the Saturday (non-cryptic) word puzzle. Having (unfortunately for us all) some extra time, I began to explore this world.

As suggested, I looked at a number of Mike's old puzzles. No clues for me. And then, by osmosis mostly I think, I wondered, how about ...

On shore. Now I am probably hooked. :)

As several have noted, once you see it, you think, "Well, of course!"
Last edited by flyingMoose on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

flyingMoose - my condolances. I started with these very casually last November. I picked up a Tuesday puzzle and solved it. Then on Friday, I said "ok, let's do another one ... hey, what's this 'meta' thing"?

And it just took one "hit" and I became addicted. It is a very fast acting substance.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I love that "Well that was a good night's sleep maybe I'll go look at the meta with fresh eyes" feeling. Especially when it works!

On shore!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:40 am Good Sunday morning

We have had a lot of motion since yesterday. We are up to 107 on the shore and 18 on the ship.

Add The Commodore to the shore party. In at 7:35am Sunday. I want to be part of another record this week.
- "Keep shooting Muggles, till the whites of your eyes are bloodshot."
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I’ve been staring at this thing since Thursday afternoon without luck. I’ve taken the suggestion of others and gone over all the past Marie/Mike metas. Twice! I tried to apply the techniques in those puzzles to this one, but I’m no closer to solving than I was three days ago. Yeah, I see things in the puzzle, but they go to dead ends. Perhaps I’ll run through the old puzzles one more time this evening but, for now, I’m LAS. Not having any luck on MGWCC either.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:53 pm I’ve been staring at this thing since Thursday afternoon without luck. I’ve taken the suggestion of others and gone over all the past Marie/Mike metas. Twice! I tried to apply the techniques in those puzzles to this one, but I’m no closer to solving than I was three days ago. Yeah, I see things in the puzzle, but they go to dead ends. Perhaps I’ll run through the old puzzles one more time this evening but, for now, I’m LAS. Not having any luck on MGWCC either.
I'm with Jeremy on this one. Despite reviewing the past metas, Marie Kelly's secrets are also staying socially distant from me and I cannot see my way to shore yet. But hats off to the muggles who took the time and effort to post all of the old metas -- such a big help to someone like me still learning the various meta tricks.

EDIT/UPDATE: ..and just like that...post enlightenment. on shore at last.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

flyingMoose wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:52 pm I have seen these Friday puzzles for a while but never took the time to see what they are all about. Instead, I had my heart primed for the Saturday (non-cryptic) word puzzle. Having (unfortunately for us all) some extra time, I began to explore this world.

As suggested, I looked at a number of Mike's old puzzles. No clues for me. And then, by osmosis mostly I think, I wondered, how about ...

On shore. Now I am probably hooked. :)

As several have noted, once you see it, you think, "Well, of course!"
Welcome to the party. Make sure that you do not fly over my car at the inappropriate time. Bugs and birds are bad enough but a moose :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
juliet

Post by juliet »

Well, I've dragged myself to shore--finally! Looking forward to basking in the warmth of the sunny beach and the conversation on Monday. While working on the puzzle, I came across a positive message to share during these tricky times, though will wait to post as it crosses into spoiler territory.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done (on Thursday) and done (Sunday evening, with a full six hours to spare).

Amazing how the process goes from "I don't have a freaking clue" to "yep, it all makes sense now."

Y'all may be on shore, but it's not our shore. They were closed a couple of days ago. Let's pray it won't be for too long.