"Variety Show" - March 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jamespower56

Post by Jamespower56 »

ok, thx. How do I hook up with someone privately to discuss our thoughts?
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Jamespower56, I am probably not the best person to answer this, but if you click on the word bubble containing the three dots which appears to the right of Contact: (on the right, under Posts: and Joined:), then click on the blue square that comes up, you'll see "send private message." If you can't figure it out from there, post again.
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, and agreeing with the others who said they tried to make it harder than it is. Cynthia J
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jamespower56 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:38 am ok, thx. How do I hook up with someone privately to discuss our thoughts?
Also at the top of the page, you will see "notifications", "private messages" and then your profile.
Under private messages, you can select who you want to send a private message to.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
femullen

Post by femullen »

Finally got one.

I'm on shore. Shake my hand. Lemme have a sip of your drink.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Really stumped. I can't fathom being on the wrong path, but alas I must be, because I can't get it to work.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles. I hope everyone is safe and sequestered.

We welcome several new muggles this week: Robert B, ectoplasm, Uncle Teeter and Jamespower56. I suspect that we will get more as a result of the WSJ articles and we welcome them to both the ship and the shore.

Currently we have 4 on the ship and 46 on the shore with the expectation of a well crowded shore. Both the ship and the shore are large enough to allow the required six foot separation.

A couple of things for all of us.

We all enjoy the challenge of solving the grid and the meta and we should take care not to spoil that enjoyment.

There are a variety of definitions of "spoiler" and we each have our own preferences. At one end is a comment which directly leads toward the solution to the meta. These can be in the eye of the beholder and in some cases where we don't have the answer we might make comment that is a spoiler even though we don't know it is a spoiler. So be careful about making specific comments that might lead to giving away the path to the meta, even if you haven't solved the meta.

And then we get into hints or nudges toward the answer. Each of us has their own opinion about these. Asking for hints or nudges is best done off line through private messaging. At the top of the page on the right side is the option to send a private message. This provides a good way of communicating either about posted spoilers or establishing a relationship with another muggle.

Depending on your viewpoint, hints can go from a gentle nudge in the right direction to a full fledged shove into the water (dead giveaway). My personal view (and it is only my opinion) is that if I get something other than a gentle nudge, I will consider myself on the shore but will not send in the answer to the WSJ. But, again, that is a personal viewpoint.

This is definitely not to discourage the communication here. If you want to get a good laugh, look at CallMeShane's comment above. My wife was in tears reading it.

If you have any comments, thoughts or opinions, I welcome them, probably best in a private message so we can focus on the meta.

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Lucas S wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:51 am On shore! Not sure what to do with myself all weekend since golf is postponed for the foreseeable future... Luckily, while most people were foolishly stocking up on toilet paper, I was stocking up on beer. I think I managed to hoard enough to keep myself entertained for a while. Maybe I’ll turn on the 2019 Masters and take myself back to a simpler time when I’d never heard the words “social distancing” before. Have a great weekend, everyone!
So many possible candidates for Miriam-Webster's 2020 "word(s) of the year"
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

On Shore!

The only mystery left is... well Mr. Bob leave me in the water for a 4th week in a row?

I think not!
spotter

Post by spotter »

They're not letting me off the boat still... Hoping to be released from quarantine before Sunday's deadline! I've filled it out online and on paper now and still no aha moment... I'm sure it will happen.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Count me among those who are in quarantine on the ship. Isaac doesn't even hand you your drink now - he just sets it on the bar and walks into the back till you pick it up.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Not seeing it yet..
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Well, I made that harder than it had to be. All the clues were there, I just didn't see it until this morning. Count me on shore our illustrious Cruise Director!
Heidi
spotter

Post by spotter »

I've been released from quarantine! Woo hoo! Time to find my 12' diameter bubble on the sand!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I am stuck. Got a late start due to a minor family emergency. Realized how difficult it is to see a doctor in the midst of a contagious pandemic. All is good now and maybe I can figure it out with a clearer head. My husband thinks he’s an expert now after solving last week’s, so maybe he can help.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Nada, seeing nothing....yet
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

strongly recommend you hold the paper so you can both see it and have your spouse look at it and ask you questions ... that's how I've solved this one and more than a few others.

she doesn't understand why I don't wait for her to solve the grid - that's because I usually (not this week) have solved it at the office before bringing it home. :0
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Still in the bar with Isaac. I think I will take a break and see if something pops up when I look again.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Lost in the clear blue sea on this one. Had an original idea that has been hard to let go.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Self face-palming, just saw it! Onshore!

Stay healthy everyone!