"Variety Show" - March 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Finally made it to shore (with a story to tell on Monday). Is there still room enough on the beach for me to stay 6 feet away from everyone?
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'll send the dogs over to say hi, I don't think they can get it. Internal temp is much higher than ours.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MaryCC

Post by MaryCC »

On shore!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

Midnight Loo Inspiration

Not for the first time, I found inspiration while drifting off to sleep after my bazillionth trip to the loo to service my aged bladder, whose suppleness approaches boiled leather ("TMI, Shane!" I can hear the wailing ...)

I am mentally reviewing the grid when... click (what's that sound)... breadcrumb... loose thread... wascally wabbit?

Like Nero Wolfe catching the first faint whiff of motive, I examine the loose thread and keep pulling. Ten minutes of mental exercise and ...

BANGO!!!!

First instinct is to bolt upright, fill my lungs, and scream "I JUST SOLVED THE META!"

Instead, in an abundance of consideration for my beloved, long suffering wife, without whom I would soon be subsisting on beans and beer, I crept like a ninja out of bed, walked on cat's paws to the desk, fumbled silently for pen and paper, wrote the answer, and left it on the keyboard, where I found it this morning.

What makes a man leap out of the bath and run naked through the streets of Syracuse screaming "EUREKA!!!!"?

I understand Archimedes perfectly. As, I am certain, do the rest of our merry band.
Jamespower56

Post by Jamespower56 »

if it is a variety show then [spoiler removed] is a ten letter word but I don't see how to get there
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Late start (lovely Mrs L's Bday TH) but Done & Done.

Haven't felt better since 3/17, going with theory that Guinness and Jameson are the best preventive medicines.

In all seriousness, be prudent, be patient, be safe!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore. Put it away after finishing the grid and then this morning it popped out.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Jamespower56 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:18 am if it is a variety show then [spoiler removed] is a ten letter word but I don't see how to get there
Remember, we don't openly suggest possible answers until the contest is over...
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

CallMeShane wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:10 am
Instead, in an abundance of consideration for my beloved, long suffering wife, without whom I would soon be subsisting on beans and beer, I crept like a ninja out of bed, walked on cat's paws to the desk, fumbled silently for pen and paper, wrote the answer, and left it on the keyboard, where I found it this morning.

I thought for sure this was going to end with your finding the note in the morning and reading "mphxlxzegj" or something. My middle-of-the-night epiphanies have not been as successful as yours!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On Shore.
Hope we can all stay separate together and wish the best of health to everyone.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MaryCC wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:57 pmOn shore!
Nice writeup on you and the boys. Did they help?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jamespower56 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:18 am if it is a variety show then [spoiler removed] is a ten letter word but I don't see how to get there
I have learned a couple of things
1) think outside the box
2) don't give up. Your brain is solving these things even when you are doing something else
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

At the bar with Isaac. Easy grid, but not seeing any rabbits leaping. Back to work for a while, which these days just involves switching screens. Pretty nice commute!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On shore!

I could only get to the puzzle this morning. Our internet was out all last night. Local authorities suspect it was vandalism. As in: wires cut. Can you believe that? Folks around here have been SO NICE during the social isolation. Then someone goes and does that. And further isolates us. I hope it’s not true!
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

On shore! Not sure what to do with myself all weekend since golf is postponed for the foreseeable future... Luckily, while most people were foolishly stocking up on toilet paper, I was stocking up on beer. I think I managed to hoard enough to keep myself entertained for a while. Maybe I’ll turn on the 2019 Masters and take myself back to a simpler time when I’d never heard the words “social distancing” before. Have a great weekend, everyone!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

On shore at the Tiki Bar, in my jammies. Nice one!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
WBYonder

Post by WBYonder »

Did the grid, then spent some time with Isaac until I had an “aha” moment and went to bed. Double-checked it this morning and submitted. Ashore!
Jamespower56

Post by Jamespower56 »

I am new to this site, does anyone comment on their thoughts of how to solve the meta?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Jamespower56 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:29 am I am new to this site, does anyone comment on their thoughts of how to solve the meta?
Only after the Sunday midnight deadline. There are many muggles who will gently help via Private Messaging, but commenting about specific solutions & strategies on this public thread is not allowed.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!