"Variety Show" - March 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

steveb wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:04 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 am
PHOFER wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:22 pm I don't recall a prior puzzle in which one of the theme answers is itself the key to deciphering the meta using all of the theme answers. Am I correct there? That was one reason I didn't solve sooner. I was looking at all the theme answers to find a commonality that linked them all.
8/20/16: The key was the center across answer ITS ON ME. The answer ICE CREAM SUNDAE was spelled out by letters appearing over ME in the grid.
That's the one. The title was "My Treat", which was also the clue to the center across answer of "It's on me".

So very similar. "Variety Show", leading to the clue "Show", giving us "Third Place", the key to solving the meta.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.