"These Go To Eleven" - March 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Rate the difficulty of the meta
Locked
User avatar
Wendy Walker
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 pm
Location: Unionville, PA

Re: "These Go To Eleven" - March 13, 2020

#281

Post by Wendy Walker » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Is the puzzle late again this week?
Good luck, fellow Muggles!

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#282

Post by Bob cruise director » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm

Wendy Walker wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:53 pm
Is the puzzle late again this week?
Yes Ma'am. The crack team from WSJ is working the problem.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Al Sisti
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Whitesboro NY

#283

Post by Al Sisti » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm

COME ON, WHERE'S MY PUZZLE! I'VE GOT THING... oh wait.. No, I don't. I've got nothing to do and nowhere to go. Never mind...

User avatar
DBMiller
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm
Location: New Hampshire

#284

Post by DBMiller » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:03 pm

Bob cruise director wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Wendy Walker wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:53 pm
Is the puzzle late again this week?
Yes Ma'am. The crack team from WSJ is working the problem.
Is that the problem? They're on crack!

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#285

Post by Bob cruise director » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:07 pm

DBMiller wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:03 pm
Bob cruise director wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Wendy Walker wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:53 pm
Is the puzzle late again this week?
Yes Ma'am. The crack team from WSJ is working the problem.
Is that the problem? They're on crack!
They wish!!! In these times you find every small issue in your electronic communications systems and functions that are done routinely that you don't even know have to be done.

I have spent the better part of the last week trying to get my computer camera to work so I can participate in a class I am taking. No it is not my virus checker. No it is not some random setting in my computer. The computer does not even recognize that the camera is even there - and it is built in by HP. :oops:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#286

Post by Bob cruise director » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:10 pm

Al Sisti wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm
COME ON, WHERE'S MY PUZZLE! I'VE GOT THING... oh wait.. No, I don't. I've got nothing to do and nowhere to go. Never mind...
Chug a dozen Guinness's so that you have slowed down to the speed of the rest of us.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Al Sisti
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Whitesboro NY

#287

Post by Al Sisti » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Bob cruise director wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:10 pm
Al Sisti wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm
COME ON, WHERE'S MY PUZZLE! I'VE GOT THING... oh wait.. No, I don't. I've got nothing to do and nowhere to go. Never mind...
Chug a dozen Guinness's so that you have slowed down to the speed of the rest of us.
Well, okay! (the things I'm willing to do to have people accept me).

User avatar
Meg
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

#288

Post by Meg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:13 pm

I taught my first online class today! Yay! It wasn’t that bad! Not like in person, but workable.

User avatar
Al Sisti
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Whitesboro NY

#289

Post by Al Sisti » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Someone posted a list of 450 classes you could take on line for free from Ivy League schools -- great for retirees, it said -- I excitedly looked through the computer course names... racing at first... then slowed down a little... memories started crashing back... uh, NO thank you! I...um, I don't want to clog the bandwidth and keep someone else from learning (so when exactly did they stop teaching Fortran IV? I've got my Commodore 64 all fired up)

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#290

Post by Bob cruise director » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Meg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:13 pm
I taught my first online class today! Yay! It wasn’t that bad! Not like in person, but workable.
What did you teach? and what system did you use?
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#291

Post by Joe Ross » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm

I am on day 3 of the flu. Seriously. Self-quarantined for two weeks. No need to be tested, unless my breathing goes south. On the low side of 60 by a few days. Shwew!

User avatar
Meg
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

#292

Post by Meg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Bob cruise director wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm
Meg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:13 pm
I taught my first online class today! Yay! It wasn’t that bad! Not like in person, but workable.
What did you teach? and what system did you use?
I taught ESL to 11 students using ZOOM. I am so tech-savvy at 64 that I scare myself!

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#293

Post by Bob cruise director » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Meg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:22 pm
Bob cruise director wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm
Meg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:13 pm
I taught my first online class today! Yay! It wasn’t that bad! Not like in person, but workable.
What did you teach? and what system did you use?
I taught ESL to 11 students using ZOOM. I am so tech-savvy at 64 that I scare myself!
I am in a Learning In Retirement Association at UMass Lowell and we are using Zoom for our meetings on various subjects.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
DBMiller
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm
Location: New Hampshire

#294

Post by DBMiller » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Hmmm... Puzzle is up. Nothing given in the contest info pop-up to tell us what we're looking for regarding the meta

boharr
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 am

#295

Post by boharr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Joe Ross wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm
I am on day 3 of the flu. Seriously. Self-quarantined for two weeks. No need to be tested, unless my breathing goes south. On the low side of 60 by a few days. Shwew!
Speedy recovery!

User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 624
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

#296

Post by MajordomoTom » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:29 pm

DBMiller wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 pm
Hmmm... Puzzle is up. Nothing given in the contest info pop-up to tell us what we're looking for regarding the meta
"the answer to this week's contest crossword is a ten-letter word".
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#297

Post by Bob cruise director » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:30 pm

Meg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:22 pm
Bob cruise director wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm
Meg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:13 pm
I taught my first online class today! Yay! It wasn’t that bad! Not like in person, but workable.
What did you teach? and what system did you use?
I taught ESL to 11 students using ZOOM. I am so tech-savvy at 64 that I scare myself!
Have you considered a course called EFL for engineers
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Tom Shea
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 am
Location: Freedonia, NH/VT/HI/Sydney/Earth

#298

Post by Tom Shea » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:51 pm

Janet P wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:41 am
Look at us! We made the paper!!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fried-brai ... ge=1&pos=1

Thanks to Matt Gaffney for writing up such a lovely article and even mentioning this very forum :)

P.S. Also thanks to whichever editor headlined the print article "Crazy for Crosswords: Meet the Journal's Weekly Contestants" which is more pleasant than the "Fried Brain Fridays" given it in the online edition.

P.P.S. While the print article has Matt discussing one puzzle (ARGO, 2018) there are THREE examples with analyses in this online piece.
Unfortunately, I have let my subscription lapse, I can only read the first paragraph.

This would be one of the few times I miss the subscription since ending up here.

Edit: Found it. Thanks to those that posted for us cheapskates!
Rufus T. Firefly

Locked