"These Go To Eleven" - March 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Is the puzzle late again this week?
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:53 pm Is the puzzle late again this week?
Yes Ma'am. The crack team from WSJ is working the problem.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

COME ON, WHERE'S MY PUZZLE! I'VE GOT THING... oh wait.. No, I don't. I've got nothing to do and nowhere to go. Never mind...
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:53 pm Is the puzzle late again this week?
Is that the problem? They're on crack!
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

DBMiller wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:03 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Is that the problem? They're on crack!
They wish!!! In these times you find every small issue in your electronic communications systems and functions that are done routinely that you don't even know have to be done.

I have spent the better part of the last week trying to get my computer camera to work so I can participate in a class I am taking. No it is not my virus checker. No it is not some random setting in my computer. The computer does not even recognize that the camera is even there - and it is built in by HP. :oops:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm COME ON, WHERE'S MY PUZZLE! I'VE GOT THING... oh wait.. No, I don't. I've got nothing to do and nowhere to go. Never mind...
Chug a dozen Guinness's so that you have slowed down to the speed of the rest of us.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:10 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm COME ON, WHERE'S MY PUZZLE! I'VE GOT THING... oh wait.. No, I don't. I've got nothing to do and nowhere to go. Never mind...
Chug a dozen Guinness's so that you have slowed down to the speed of the rest of us.
Well, okay! (the things I'm willing to do to have people accept me).
Meg

Post by Meg »

I taught my first online class today! Yay! It wasn’t that bad! Not like in person, but workable.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Someone posted a list of 450 classes you could take on line for free from Ivy League schools -- great for retirees, it said -- I excitedly looked through the computer course names... racing at first... then slowed down a little... memories started crashing back... uh, NO thank you! I...um, I don't want to clog the bandwidth and keep someone else from learning (so when exactly did they stop teaching Fortran IV? I've got my Commodore 64 all fired up)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Meg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:13 pm I taught my first online class today! Yay! It wasn’t that bad! Not like in person, but workable.
What did you teach? and what system did you use?
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I am on day 3 of the flu. Seriously. Self-quarantined for two weeks. No need to be tested, unless my breathing goes south. On the low side of 60 by a few days. Shwew!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:13 pm I taught my first online class today! Yay! It wasn’t that bad! Not like in person, but workable.
I taught ESL to 11 students using ZOOM. I am so tech-savvy at 64 that I scare myself!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Meg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:22 pm
I taught ESL to 11 students using ZOOM. I am so tech-savvy at 64 that I scare myself!
I am in a Learning In Retirement Association at UMass Lowell and we are using Zoom for our meetings on various subjects.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Hmmm... Puzzle is up. Nothing given in the contest info pop-up to tell us what we're looking for regarding the meta
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm I am on day 3 of the flu. Seriously. Self-quarantined for two weeks. No need to be tested, unless my breathing goes south. On the low side of 60 by a few days. Shwew!
Speedy recovery!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

DBMiller wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 pm Hmmm... Puzzle is up. Nothing given in the contest info pop-up to tell us what we're looking for regarding the meta
"the answer to this week's contest crossword is a ten-letter word".
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Meg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:22 pm
Have you considered a course called EFL for engineers
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Janet P wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:41 am Look at us! We made the paper!!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fried-brai ... ge=1&pos=1

Thanks to Matt Gaffney for writing up such a lovely article and even mentioning this very forum :)

P.S. Also thanks to whichever editor headlined the print article "Crazy for Crosswords: Meet the Journal's Weekly Contestants" which is more pleasant than the "Fried Brain Fridays" given it in the online edition.

P.P.S. While the print article has Matt discussing one puzzle (ARGO, 2018) there are THREE examples with analyses in this online piece.
Unfortunately, I have let my subscription lapse, I can only read the first paragraph.

This would be one of the few times I miss the subscription since ending up here.

Edit: Found it. Thanks to those that posted for us cheapskates!
Rufus T. Firefly