"These Go To Eleven" - March 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved. I'd be interested in hearing how the rest of you have altered your lives due to covid-19, and how many cases are in your local area. I'm in East Tennessee. We have 1 case in our county, diagnosed 4 days ago. We have maybe a bit more food in the freezer than usual, and we've decided to not eat out for a while.
Cynthia
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

On shore! Too easy?
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

On the beach.

With a strong ear worm.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I am on shore.

But I do want to point out that (according to Wikipedia) The Beatles recorded over 200 songs before they initiated their break-up in 1970, and cumulatively the former members of The Beatles released over 50 albums/projects/collaborations/etc., during subsequent solo careers.

Given the multitude of possible beaches, I paused before submitting!
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

Ashore, and looking forward to a weekend free of red herrings, rabbits, skunks -- and viruses.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:11 am
Omnibus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 pm Lounging on shore, sipping a cold beer.

But not a Corona.
Dang, didn't see this before I posted my own Corona play on words! Should have known that, of anywhere, this forum would not miss any obvious tie ins.
I think I will go out my way to have a Corona. I'm not an expert, but I'd be astonished if any connection between the beer and the virus is found,
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Rethinking the shore I'm on. Looks like there's another reasonable possibility.

Multiple possibilities + non-100% verification = unsatisfying meta
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:50 pm The first rabbit I saw took me right to a Beatles song.

I do wonder how our younger folks will do with this one.
Just one "older" millennial's point of view: The Beatles were the most influential and best selling pop music act in all of history and still hold the record for most #1 hits. Even my 1-year old daughter prefers them over the rest of our music collection. If younger folks have any difficulty here it won't be due to age or lack of exposure to the catalog.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Big Beatles fan, so knew I had a hunch, and eventually backed into it. Be safe out there everyone...
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Ahhhh, got it. I had a hard time getting started on the grid in the NW corner, but once a couple answers appeared, the rest fell into place. Not at all sorry this took me longer than many do; better to have my mind occupied by the puzzle than what's happening to my portfolio. And sincere there's no basketball...
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

CPJohnson wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:55 am Solved. I'd be interested in hearing how the rest of you have altered your lives due to covid-19, and how many cases are in your local area. I'm in East Tennessee. We have 1 case in our county, diagnosed 4 days ago. We have maybe a bit more food in the freezer than usual, and we've decided to not eat out for a while.
Thanks CPJohnson for your post. We're in central Pennsylvania (State College) where Penn State has told the 40,000 students here not to come back til April (this week was spring break week and many of us were expecting a rise in the virus if they brought it back from traveling) and the local schools have closed for next week at least to try to figure out future logistics. Our pastor emailed a request he said he never thought he'd be saying urging people NOT to come to church if they are in the high risk/ age group and saying the sermon can be heard live on audio/internet. Our local hospital has only tested a handful of people with no confirmed cases yet. Our groceries are running low on toilet paper (go figure) and someone posted a joke on Facebook saying Corona Beer was offering free toilet paper with each purchase. :)
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

CPJohnson wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:55 am Solved. I'd be interested in hearing how the rest of you have altered your lives due to covid-19, and how many cases are in your local area. I'm in East Tennessee. We have 1 case in our county, diagnosed 4 days ago. We have maybe a bit more food in the freezer than usual, and we've decided to not eat out for a while.
My main alteration is based on the fact that I have a nasty, lingering cold. I'm on the mend, and in normal times would be going about my business, but I know my resistance is compromised and, just as importantly, don't want to spread even a minor cold to others to compromise theirs. But I'm really starting to go stir crazy. I was hoping to occupy my time with hoops, but that ship has sailed.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore!

I didn't get to the puzzle til this morning, and as a lifelong Beatlemaniac was a bit despondent when I did not see the answer immediately. I took a coffee and email break, went back to the puzzle and there it was. Now I know what I'll be listening to all weekend. Especially since the two theater performances I was supposed to see (one professional, one HS production) have been canceled.

Hope all muggles stay safe and healthy!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Inca

Post by Inca »

D & D
Inca

Post by Inca »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:50 pm The first rabbit I saw took me right to a Beatles song.

I do wonder how our younger folks will do with this one.
Well, I'm definitely not from the younger folks but I know almost nothing about music. I googled the obvious (to me) and there it was. Someone posted about it being tied up with a bow, so although I cared nothing about it, I added one more word to my google search and the confirmation was there. So I think the young uns will do just fine.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I haven't started yet, but when I saw the title, I just had to smile!!!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Sharks circling? Reminds me of another recent meta! ;)
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

On shore. The Beatles was before my time, had to consult with Mr G.
David R

Post by David R »

Oops, I did the meta again.
cashk

Post by cashk »

On shore. Also used google for meta.

I think I see a way you could get 2 different beetles songs, but one seems more appropriate, neither is really further confirmed though.