"These Go To Eleven" - March 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

EdStrong wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:43 pm Was also hoping for a Spinal Tap song or album - maybe Listen to the Flower People or Stonehenge. Oh well. I have the first step (maybe the only step?) so count me on shore...
Shark Sandwich (which gave rise to a succinct 2-word review!)
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I was bummed while at work that it wasn’t posted at the usual time. I am trying to get to sleep but I thought to check for the meta before turning in. Rare grid + meta solved in <15 minutes performance by me. Still waiting to hear from Dom.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm on shore. The Beatles are before my time, but it was easy with some help from Google.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Solved and submitted. Off to wash my hands !!
Softie

Post by Softie »

I'm on shore, but I have a quibble.
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

Ashore (unless I'm missing 2nd and 3rd steps)?!
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

On shore! (but standing at least 6 feet away from you all)

Thanks - this was a nice pick-me-up in a week that's been rather extraordinary. A toast to your good health.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, so the Beatles were distinctly my generation, and since I was a military brat stationed in England I saw them before everyone here. The song seemed to leap out at me, BUT I've gotten burned a few times by thinking I knew it and not going the one step extra. The aha moment is there but is anticlimactic because I cannot tie it all together.

Oops, the AHA light JUST went on when I realized something that I should have picked up immediately. Ah Michael, you are the tricky one...

Count me with dry feet ashore and glad to be away from the ship in these circumstances. I'd say pour me a Corona, but considering the current pandemic (which I am now certain is the combination of panic and epidemic) I'll settle for that other Mexican Restaurant standard - Margarita please, rocks, in a LARGE glass. Oh. and make sure the tequila is at least 140 proof, I'm trying to protect my insides from the virus.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Omnibus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 pm Lounging on shore, sipping a cold beer.

But not a Corona.
Dang, didn't see this before I posted my own Corona play on words! Should have known that, of anywhere, this forum would not miss any obvious tie ins.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Was very shocked when someone recently pointed out that the Beatles have been broken up for 40 years. They made most of their famous music all within one decade.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

WDunbar wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:27 am On shore. Was very shocked when someone recently pointed out that the Beatles have been broken up for 40 years. They made most of their famous music all within one decade.
Actually 50 years.

On shore.
howardl

Post by howardl »

On shore and quite confident, but I'd feel better if I had one more subtle hint or affirmation; so I think my answer is right, but I'm not confident my analysis is whole and complete.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore ... with the earworm that hitched a ride.
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore. Got it before I finished the grid, a first for me. Actually, I was expecting the puzzle to be upside down, as that's how the world turned this week.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Heh! On shore.
In a world gone mad, nice to take a moment with the grid and my trusty ball-point. Best to all you muggles out there.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

My memory of this song: A “group dynamics” course in college where a student one day brought in a cassette recorder with this song on repeat, got up and started dancing, and tried to get the others to join. Just trying to get others to share his wonderful experience. With the same justification, he had had a party at his house and had laced the tea with LSD without telling anyone. Ah, the sixties.
Jay
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

On SOME shore ...

Hello ... Yoo hoo ...
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Nice and tidy! Ashore.
femullen

Post by femullen »

At least got off this ship this week, but good thing I brought a life jacket. Bobbing around the reef now, humming all the Beatles tunes I can recall. I was young; don't recall many. Sharks circling.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved!