"In The Hopper" - March 6, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:01 pm Ashore, tough grid but a nice Meta. I even got my friend who usually thinks these are missives from hell (the Meta not the CW) involved and he saw some of the AHAs before I did so I may have him hooked (obviously this was one of those gateway metas).

No if someone can tell me if the MGWCC is difficult or not this week because I am new to them and solved a few of the free ones. I signed up, got the Friday "In the Mix" one and am floundering badly. Don't know if it is hard or if because I finally pulled the trigger and joined I am having "premature exasperation".
Yes, I'd say this week's MGWCC is harder than the usual week 1. And that seems to be the consensus on its board here.
forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=314
pookie

Post by pookie »

I'm finally on shore! Yay!
It's really fun when it finally becomes clear. What's really frustrating is when, after I've solved the grid, I go to the Muggles blog and see 7 pages of "On shore!" And that's from THURSDAY! Just kidding. ;)
Now I can concentrate on something else for awhile.
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

Here on the beach!
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

Happily on the beach after having taken a little vacation from meta-solving. Nice to be back!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

DrTom wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:01 pm Ashore, tough grid but a nice Meta. I even got my friend who usually thinks these are missives from hell (the Meta not the CW) involved and he saw some of the AHAs before I did so I may have him hooked (obviously this was one of those gateway metas).

No if someone can tell me if the MGWCC is difficult or not this week because I am new to them and solved a few of the free ones. I signed up, got the Friday "In the Mix" one and am floundering badly. Don't know if it is hard or if because I finally pulled the trigger and joined I am having "premature exasperation".
On a par with this one DrTom. Maybe a bit harder than usual week 1 say 1.5. You’ll get it!!
lusophile

Post by lusophile »

On shore, perhaps on a sandbar that will disappear at high tide, but at least I'm in the game!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on shore!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:17 pm this is what you want Isaac to bring you - incredible flavor.

https://sprudge.com/coffee-beer-white-m ... 26544.html
I will put in on my list. Will have to track down a place that pours it.

As for Isaac, I had a bit of a hangover from his Martini last evening, especially with Kimo Kahoana warbling "Aloha Friday" in the lounge. But I got over it quickly enough to figure out the meta. Nicely fell into place. Hadn't noticed the constructor before.

Left Isaac a nice tip and paddled to shore. Heading to a restaurant tonight that unfortunately does not have a porter OR stout on the menu. It *is* a tiki bar, so that's a plus.
Last edited by Tom Shea on Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rufus T. Firefly
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore, got the meta but still have a few holes in the grid.

Presumably, still eligible for The Mug even if I don't finish the grid by midnight Sunday ...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

eagle1279 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:22 pm Ashore, got the meta but still have a few holes in the grid.

Presumably, still eligible for The Mug even if I don't finish the grid by midnight Sunday ...
I think there's an Honor Code that would be relevant reading.

Bob - I've misplaced my copy, can you assist?

:)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
asechres

Post by asechres »

Safely ashore.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

**sob**

missed me again..

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:42 am Good Saturday morning muggles.

Again, a warm welcome to our contest creator, Joanne Sullivan.

And we have several new muggles from both the WSJ comments and here. A muggle welcome to jackindahl, alec, Lyle and edot.

We have 5 keeping Isaac company for now and a crowd of 122 on the shore. Tom S, jackindahl, Fishmagik, boharr and Diane are working to make their way to shore.

The shore party is (and I hope I have not missed anyone either in reading the comments or typing)
Leslie
Scott M
LesY
Frankie
damefox
Tmart
Meg
joequavis
Brian M
Al
Wendy
mark L
Jazzvibist
docison
steveb
joe
David K
geeteebee
Mike H
Jeremy
Julie O
Billkatz
streroto
ky-mike
higgysue
Anita
Moi
DBMiller
alan H
oldjudge
michaelm
hector
Laura M
Jim and Anita
Heidi
Eric P
Trey and Marion
Jeanrosz
spotter
Cindy
the Thurman8er
tim1217
MajorDomoTom
Bird Lives
Inca
Richard
Drysdale
martin
Tony S
elan
Tina
scooby
Beth A
Glyn
Cynthia J
Frank
Chris
Lacangah
Guy L
Jeffrey G
LittleGood
SusieG
Commodore
SewYOung
WBYonder
Saxerbrau
Michael S
Obie J
Barbara K
dplass
Ed S
Jacksull
burd
Jeff S
Rad26
Sean
Joe R
Tom Wi
JimJim
yourpalsal
Erik
anjhinz
Kay
ALS
Rita and George
Janet P
Homer
Deb F
Jennifer
Howardl
NuYear68
Debbie
Fred F
garry j
PaterLee
sharkicicles
Devil Bunny
NLobb
Janet
Natalie
Kris
Nalugirl
Jackie68
John W
alec
Mary CC
AnnP
Joedbee
Lyle
Juliet
Lucas
maprasad
MatthewB
OGuyDave
Ann
Kas
Scott L
edot
RDaleHall
CallMeShane
ImOnToo
and Maine Marge

Good luck to all. Going for the record of 150.
David R

Post by David R »

Did the xword tonight and just solved the meta, took longer then expected even though I spotted part of the answer right away, I discarded it and looked for something else.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

was your mug nearby? Perhaps it was jealous of the attention you were paying to this puzzle?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. I agree the grid was tough. The meta also took a little work even after I saw the path. Fun puzzle!
Patty

Post by Patty »

Just got to the grid this afternoon. 24D and 69A made me wince. The meta hasn't popped out so may follow the advice of a nap and a drink or a drink and a nap to see if that helps!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:38 pm
eagle1279 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:22 pm Ashore, got the meta but still have a few holes in the grid.

I finished the grid (a tough one as many have noted), but if there's an Honor Code that forbids consulting Mr. G or getting hints from other solvers, then I don't want to see it. :D
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

eagle1279 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:35 am
MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:38 pm

I finished the grid (a tough one as many have noted), but if there's an Honor Code that forbids consulting Mr. G or getting hints from other solvers, then I don't want to see it. :D
The only code is if you enjoyed yourself.

I have no problems using Mr. G or getting nudge if I am desperate. If the nudge becomes a push, I won't send in the answer. But that is a judgement call for each of us.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles.

The shore is extremely crowded with 140 muggles on the shore and 3 keeping Isaac in business. Several people have jumped ship in the last day so Isaac appreciates his loyal crowd.

Hew to the shore since yesterday are:
Burak
tonyrobots
Doug M
DrTom
Susan G
diplomat
jag
pookie
rexthree
lusophile
HowardH
boharr
eagle1279
phofer
the Geoduck who was on the shore yesterday but since ducks are low, I did not see him
asechres
David R
and Tom Shea

Good luck winning the mug.

And stay safe, the coronavirus is nothing to fool around with especially for those of us over 60
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director