"In The Hopper" - March 6, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Colin wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 pm Oh boy (again). Saw RAP and got completely tied up in hip-hop... aka EMCEE. Not a fan of the genre, but saw a few names in the grid (with help of Mr G, also in grid!) and settled for HAMMER, as in MC HAMMER. Knew it had to be wrong, but no time left. Earlier, I blew past the obvious in the theme answers because only Rate of Progress, File a Return and (at a push) Went Out on a Date seemed to fit the theme, so I gave up.
Colin
As a general rule (not guaranteed as nothing is a sure thing) when you are looking for a word of the same length as the long answers, focus on those. and look for something that bridges the multiword answers. The one that got most of us going was Arab British which was a strange combination and the long answer of rabbit (with an extra letter) jumped out. Personally I saw F(p)rog right above that.

This kind of format is common for Mike Shenk puzzles.

Good luck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

By the way, we had 150 on the shore, tying the record set February 20.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
pookie

Post by pookie »

Bob, you're the best cruise director! Thank you for typing up those 150-name lists and keeping track of all :) ASHORE
Your work is appreciated. I hope you win the mug!
juliet

Post by juliet »

yourpalsal wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:16 pm I am an idiot. I got the right answer, but I thought it was just about animals and springtime. Only on returning to the muggleboard today did I realize that all the animals mentioned actually hop. That makes the puzzle ever so much more elegant. 🕺💃
Some time after submitting, I realized that the names of the animals required us to visually "hop" over the extra letters. . . only after reading today's comments did I realize that we had reached the day to "spring" forward. Time to go change some clocks. . .
asechres

Post by asechres »

SarasotaSun wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:32 am I thought it was refreshing that we DIDN'T have to read dozens of responses about going down "rabbit holes" this week. I can only wish that would continue.
I'd be happy with reduced frequency of posts from those explaining why they didn't submit solution Friday night. Don't worry, we know all muggles are smarties, so there's no need to make excuses for a Sunday submission. A correct submission is just as good on Saturday or Sunday as it is on Friday.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:38 pm
Colin wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 pm Earlier, I blew past the obvious in the theme answers because only Rate of Progress, File a Return and (at a push) Went Out on a Date seemed to fit the theme, so I gave up.
Colin
As a general rule (not guaranteed as nothing is a sure thing) when you are looking for a word of the same length as the long answers, focus on those. and look for something that bridges the multiword answers. The one that got most of us going was Arab British which was a strange combination and the long answer of rabbit (with an extra letter) jumped out. Personally I saw F(p)rog right above that.

Good luck
Thank you Bob - great advice. Rate of Progress, being so close to the theme, sent me on a search for another five answers with similar alignments. Failed logic on my part and truly a rabbit hole!
One world. One planet. One future.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Hello and congrats to the many of you who completed this delightful contest. We had a pretty big turnout: 1826 entries, about 93% hopping successfully to the correct answer.

The biggest rabbit hole was, indeed, RABBIT with 49. Also GRAINS and ASHORE (huh? to both) with 5 each, ANIMAL (2) and a few others.

Congrats to this week's winner: George Schane of Redondo Beach, CA.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Thanks so much to Joanne for a delighted puzzle. Also thanks to all of you "pros" who take the time to give encouragement to all of us newbies!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:03 am Hello and congrats to the many of you who completed this delightful contest. We had a pretty big turnout: 1826 entries, about 93% hopping successfully to the correct answer.

The biggest rabbit hole was, indeed, RABBIT with 49. Also GRAINS and ASHORE (huh? to both) with 5 each, ANIMAL (2) and a few others.

GRAINS is one letter off from SPRING, where P=A and then reordered. RATEOFPROGRESS is where the P comes from, and should be the source of the P. But it does contain "RAT", which *is* an animal (Not a hopping one), and could be the source of confusion.

ASHORE beats the $#!+ out of me, unless new players see everyone here saying they are ashore, and think that's us saying the answer???
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Colin wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 pm Oh boy (again). Saw RAP and got completely tied up in hip-hop... aka EMCEE. Not a fan of the genre, but saw a few names in the grid (with help of Mr G, also in grid!) and settled for HAMMER, as in MC HAMMER. Knew it had to be wrong, but no time left. Earlier, I blew past the obvious in the theme answers because only Rate of Progress, File a Return and (at a push) Went Out on a Date seemed to fit the theme, so I gave up.
Colin

Good luck
Thanks Bob, if I’m not mistaken I think you mean when looking for a word with the same length as the number of long answers, right?
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

DBMiller wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:11 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:03 am Hello and congrats to the many of you who completed this delightful contest. We had a pretty big turnout: 1826 entries, about 93% hopping successfully to the correct answer.

GRAINS is one letter off from SPRING, where P=A and then reordered. RATEOFPROGRESS is where the P comes from, and should be the source of the P. But it does contain "RAT", which *is* an animal (Not a hopping one), and could be the source of confusion.

ASHORE beats the $#!+ out of me, unless new players see everyone here saying they are ashore, and think that's us saying the answer???
Or maybe people in their excitement to be ashore, writing that instead of the answer? I almost made a mistake like that in MGWCC this week.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Streroto wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 pm
Colin

Good luck
Thanks Bob, if I’m not mistaken I think you mean when looking for a word with the same length as the number of long answers, right?
Exactly correct.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

asechres wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:25 am
SarasotaSun wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:32 am I thought it was refreshing that we DIDN'T have to read dozens of responses about going down "rabbit holes" this week. I can only wish that would continue.
I'd be happy with reduced frequency of posts from those explaining why they didn't submit solution Friday night. Don't worry, we know all muggles are smarties, so there's no need to make excuses for a Sunday submission. A correct submission is just as good on Saturday or Sunday as it is on Friday.
Don't worry. You're *not* required to read them on this FREE message board that others have so graciously allowed us to comment on a subject most of us have a lot of good-natured FUN with.
Rufus T. Firefly
pookie

Post by pookie »

"Don't worry. You're *not* required to read them on this FREE message board that others have so graciously allowed us to comment on a subject most of us have a lot of good-natured FUN with."
Tom Shea, My thoughts exactly, and you couldn't have expressed it better.
Geez, I thought everyone jumped ship from the WSJ comments to feel more free to express their thoughts and comments.
What? there are "NIT" censors now?
I, for one get a big kick out of the comments here, and some big laughs too.
COMMENT AWAY, Muggles!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Tom Shea wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:00 pm
asechres wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:25 am
Don't worry. You're *not* required to read them on this FREE message board that others have so graciously allowed us to comment on a subject most of us have a lot of good-natured FUN with.
You go, Tom!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

..and don't forget to tip your servers.

(Ed.: Original concept shamelessly stolen from Scott Adams/Dogbert answers fan mail. Secondary concept shamelessly stolen from Jackie Mason, who undoubtedly stole it from someone long dead.)
Rufus T. Firefly
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Tom Shea wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:39 pm ..and don't forget to tip your servers.

(Ed.: Original concept shamelessly stolen from Scott Adams/Dogbert answers fan mail. Secondary concept shamelessly stolen from Jackie Mason, who undoubtedly stole it from someone long dead.)
Jackie Mason steal a joke? I'm shocked... shocked, I tell you!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well heck, if we are stealing from Jackie Mason there is a perfect quote (well amended it is perfect) that fits the Muggle community superbly:

"We talk among ourselves because we like dealing with a better class of people" - altered from Jackie Mason
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:35 am
Tom Shea wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:39 pm ..and don't forget to tip your servers.

Jackie Mason steal a joke? I'm shocked... shocked, I tell you!
Well, at least Jackie got respect...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

and I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.