"2+2=5" - February 28, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Rate the difficulty of the meta
Locked
User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 624
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: "2+2=5" - February 28, 2020

#141

Post by MajordomoTom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:08 pm

two plus two equals
five as long as six times nine
equals forty two
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#142

Post by KayW » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Tom Shea wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 pm
At first I was thinking - you know - math is hard. Then my second cup of coffee gave me the idea to stop using Laplace Transforms.

On shore. Martini time, then the Hilton Hawaiian fireworks.
ooh so jealous - you are on Oahu? We stayed at the Hale Koa twice which is next door to the Hilton. It's been far too long since I've been there... nice to hear they still have Friday fireworks. Enjoy!

User avatar
Tom Shea
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 am
Location: Freedonia, NH/VT/HI/Sydney/Earth

#143

Post by Tom Shea » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:44 pm

KayW wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:30 pm
Tom Shea wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 pm
At first I was thinking - you know - math is hard. Then my second cup of coffee gave me the idea to stop using Laplace Transforms.

On shore. Martini time, then the Hilton Hawaiian fireworks.
ooh so jealous - you are on Oahu? We stayed at the Hale Koa twice which is next door to the Hilton. It's been far too long since I've been there... nice to hear they still have Friday fireworks. Enjoy!
Discovery Bay across the street. Friends on the top floor with balcony/lanai closest to the fireworks. Incredible view. Hilton still does fireworks every Friday plus whenever there is a wedding that pays for them, which is about every other week.

Hale Koa did a massive rebuild of the pool area last year. Multiple pools, hot tubs and a water slide. It looks like a water park. Our speed is more toward the barefoot bar in the shade. That and feeding the cats at night.
Rufus T. Firefly

User avatar
Tom Shea
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 am
Location: Freedonia, NH/VT/HI/Sydney/Earth

#144

Post by Tom Shea » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:47 pm

Math is really hard
I have forgotten more math
Than I ever learnt
Rufus T. Firefly

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#145

Post by KayW » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:49 pm

Bob cruise director wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 am
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if we have any leap people here.

A humorous article (unless you are born Feb 29) https://www.wsj.com/articles/leap-year- ... 1582910410
The closest I know of is a cousin who chose to get married on leap day. Sadly that union didn't last until the first ... anniversary? quadriversary?

I enjoyed the article. And leap day is always a good excuse to watch the Pirates of Penzance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTSlr_WRgo

Libbypibby
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:32 am

#146

Post by Libbypibby » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:49 pm

Ashore!

Jud
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:34 pm

#147

Post by Jud » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Ashore and ready for happy hour.

User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 624
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

#148

Post by MajordomoTom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:05 pm

KayW wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:49 pm
Bob cruise director wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 am
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if we have any leap people here.

A humorous article (unless you are born Feb 29) https://www.wsj.com/articles/leap-year- ... 1582910410
The closest I know of is a cousin who chose to get married on leap day. Sadly that union didn't last until the first ... anniversary? quadriversary?

I enjoyed the article. And leap day is always a good excuse to watch the Pirates of Penzance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTSlr_WRgo
read the article - at the end, getting a coupon to use to celebrate your birthday, which expired on 2/28, that's ... rich.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#149

Post by KayW » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Tom Shea wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:44 pm
KayW wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:30 pm
Tom Shea wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 pm
At first I was thinking - you know - math is hard. Then my second cup of coffee gave me the idea to stop using Laplace Transforms.

On shore. Martini time, then the Hilton Hawaiian fireworks.
ooh so jealous - you are on Oahu? We stayed at the Hale Koa twice which is next door to the Hilton. It's been far too long since I've been there... nice to hear they still have Friday fireworks. Enjoy!
Discovery Bay across the street. Friends on the top floor with balcony/lanai closest to the fireworks. Incredible view. Hilton still does fireworks every Friday plus whenever there is a wedding that pays for them, which is about every other week.

Hale Koa did a massive rebuild of the pool area last year. Multiple pools, hot tubs and a water slide. It looks like a water park. Our speed is more toward the barefoot bar in the shade. That and feeding the cats at night.
From the comfort and privacy of your own balcony - nice!! Not sure how I feel about the "water park", but we loved the Barefoot Bar. Glad that remains! Now I get to do my Jack from Lost impression
Attachments
wehavetogoback.jpg

Susan Goldberg
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:16 pm

#150

Post by Susan Goldberg » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:24 pm

This is driving me crazy, and I know I must be way overthinking it. Posting that I’m still at bar in the hopes that writing here will inspire enlightenment.

User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 624
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

#151

Post by MajordomoTom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:43 pm

pop quiz tomorrow at 11 pm, hope you're prepared for it.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.

User avatar
MarkL
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:44 am
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

#152

Post by MarkL » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:36 pm

Colin wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:39 pm
Tony S wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:29 pm
TMart wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:43 pm
Quick trip to shore. I'll take a light beer - the Guinness is starting to show.
A 330ml serving of Guinness Draught has only 125 calories, certainly not enough to steer anyone toward those dreadful light beers on the market.
Take smaller sips and you will burn more calories!
:)
Or, if you drink fast enough your Fitbit will think you are running! 😉
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!

User avatar
MarkL
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:44 am
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

#153

Post by MarkL » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:37 pm

Tom Shea wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 pm
At first I was thinking - you know - math is hard. Then my second cup of coffee gave me the idea to stop using Laplace Transforms.

On shore. Martini time, then the Hilton Hawaiian fireworks.
Darned eigen vectors!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!

User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 624
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

#154

Post by MajordomoTom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:04 pm

it's ok, everything's orthogonal. All 20 something dimensions.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#155

Post by hcbirker » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:29 pm

DrTom wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:08 pm
Swimming to shore. Tried my darndest to make it harder than it was but saw the AHA today when I finally had a bit of time to stare at it.

Swimming to shore may be my only travel trip I see. We were due to fly to Italy and now I see the CDC has made it a Level 3 - DRAT!!! My problem there is not postponing, because Delta my carrier is making allowances, but the fact that we rent cottages/villas and they (1) want their money up front (2) are not often amenable to refund. :( So now I have to argue some more, and unfortunately it has been that kind of month/week where I have had to act the aggressor to make people do what good business sense and humanity should dictate they do without being asked. Seems humanity is in shorter supply than surgical marks! :x

On a more encouraging note I have been lurking and downloading those puzzles that were obtainable on the MGWCC and except for the "Illegal Activity" one I got them all (of course working on AKA now and that seems to be thwarting me). But I am now encouraged to go ahead and sign up for it. Who knows I may have the time I would have used in Italy to start doing puzzles...

Oh, and some topical humor:
Did you hear that they think the virus is now also a tick borne disease?
They are calling those infections Corona with Lyme.... :lol:
I have two words for you-travel insurance. We were booked to go to Germany and Amsterdam last year, but my husband got shingles. Every penny we had spent up front was refunded.
Heidi

User avatar
ky-mike
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:22 pm
Location: Louisville Ky

#156

Post by ky-mike » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Working in finance for a public company, we had an investor relations VP who always wanted us to aggressively round up EPS numbers. The running joke was that 1+1= 3 for very large values of 1. This puzzle title reminded me of that.

User avatar
jhcogan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:48 am
Location: Frontière Québec / États-Unis

#157

Post by jhcogan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:22 pm

Solved the grid yesterday. Can't figure out the meta. Won't get to it Sunday, either. Ship-board doubles cribbage tournament :-)

PHOFER
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:20 pm

#158

Post by PHOFER » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:27 pm

Ashore.

I was lost at sea
Until Casper the Little
Ghost showed me the light

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#159

Post by Bob cruise director » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:41 pm

hcbirker wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:29 pm
DrTom wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:08 pm
Swimming to shore. Tried my darndest to make it harder than it was but saw the AHA today when I finally had a bit of time to stare at it.

Swimming to shore may be my only travel trip I see. We were due to fly to Italy and now I see the CDC has made it a Level 3 - DRAT!!! My problem there is not postponing, because Delta my carrier is making allowances, but the fact that we rent cottages/villas and they (1) want their money up front (2) are not often amenable to refund. :( So now I have to argue some more, and unfortunately it has been that kind of month/week where I have had to act the aggressor to make people do what good business sense and humanity should dictate they do without being asked. Seems humanity is in shorter supply than surgical marks! :x

On a more encouraging note I have been lurking and downloading those puzzles that were obtainable on the MGWCC and except for the "Illegal Activity" one I got them all (of course working on AKA now and that seems to be thwarting me). But I am now encouraged to go ahead and sign up for it. Who knows I may have the time I would have used in Italy to start doing puzzles...

Oh, and some topical humor:
Did you hear that they think the virus is now also a tick borne disease?
They are calling those infections Corona with Lyme.... :lol:
I have two words for you-travel insurance. We were booked to go to Germany and Amsterdam last year, but my husband got shingles. Every penny we had spent up front was refunded.
However be aware that travel insurance has no value when the reason you are going is an epidemic.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Bird Lives
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

#160

Post by Bird Lives » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:41 pm

I'm with the small contingent still aboard. Frustrating not to see what so many others have seen. OTOH, I got the MGWCC right away and wondered if it was really a week #4.

Locked