"2+2=5" - February 28, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Ok, so Isaac needs some company, I'll pull up to the bar on the boat and spend the night there.

Been working through tax season and also Berry's Sweet 16, so need to let the brain percolate a bit to solve this math meta. Hopefully tomorrow the lightning will strike.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
burak

Post by burak »

A presumably easy puzzle for seasoned muggles -and thousands are already ashore- but I can see this one creating problems for newbies.

Fun one.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore quickly and 125%. I liked it! and predict a very crowded beach.

Sigh. I guess that means I have no excuse not to finish up my taxes this weekend...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Tony S wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:29 pm A 330ml serving of Guinness Draught has only 125 calories, certainly not enough to steer anyone toward those dreadful light beers on the market.
For your breakfast reading (a can of Guinness is 16 ounces):

guinness.png
budbusch.png
miller.png
coors.png
natural light.png
keystone.png
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Well, I'm lost at sea.
Cynthia
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore.
Enjoy leap day everyone!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Yes, itโ€™s Leap Day, but Iโ€™m not leaping off the ship just yet. Still leaping around with the rabbits, but I seem to be closing in on the right one. So one last mimosa, Isaac. ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™€๏ธ
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

KayW wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 am On shore quickly and 125%. I liked it! and predict a very crowded beach.

Sigh. I guess that means I have no excuse not to finish up my taxes this weekend...
What's "125%" mean?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Dplass wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:32 am
KayW wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 am On shore quickly and 125%. I liked it! and predict a very crowded beach.

What's "125%" mean?
Kay had Guinness for breakfast?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our Friday report is a little early. We have 54 on the shore and 4 in the ship's bar plus innumerable others searching out the rabbit holes.

by the way, does anyone know if they still have Sadie Hawkins dances in high school? Do high schoolers even know about Sadie Hawkins
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KayW

Post by KayW »

Dplass wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:32 am

What's "125%" mean?
Normally I'll say I'm 100% certain when I am as confident as I can be in my answer. I was applying some exceptional arithmetic provided by this week's meta title to come up with 125%. I thought it was fair game for comment since it refers to the title and not the solution in any way I can fathom - unless of course I'm 125% wrong! And any posts anyone deems inappropriate can and will be removed ASAP.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:01 am Our Friday report is a little early. We have 54 on the shore and 4 in the ship's bar plus innumerable others searching out the rabbit holes.

by the way, does anyone know if they still have Sadie Hawkins dances in high school? Do high schoolers even know about Sadie Hawkins
Bob,

Is that a Crossword Champion beer stein?
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:01 am Our Friday report is a little early. We have 54 on the shore and 4 in the ship's bar plus innumerable others searching out the rabbit holes.

FWIW we didnโ€™t in the early 90s.
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

On shore. Took a few minutes earlier, got nowhere, saw that this one was not considered hard, and it fell quickly to a fresh look an hour later. I was definitely overthinking it.
MaryCC

Post by MaryCC »

On shore!
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

On Shore!! A little slow. WAAAAY too many red herrings.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Oh shore too! Fun and straight-forward, feels like potentially a good intro puzzle for someone new. (Says the old salt who's been at this for 3 months.)
Joe

Post by Joe »

That took WAY longer than it should have. I will have a tall Maker's and Ginger.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.