"2+2=5" - February 28, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I got the MGWCC Week 4 in about 20 minutes. I don't have this one yet. And I teach math. Oh, the shame!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Oh there it is. Time stamp please? LOL

Tequila time. Payday...think I'll get a nice anejo this time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

KayW wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:08 am
Dplass wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:32 am
KayW wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 am On shore quickly and 125%. I liked it! and predict a very crowded beach.

Sigh. I guess that means I have no excuse not to finish up my taxes this weekend...
What's "125%" mean?
Normally I'll say I'm 100% certain when I am as confident as I can be in my answer. I was applying some exceptional arithmetic provided by this week's meta title to come up with 125%. I thought it was fair game for comment since it refers to the title and not the solution in any way I can fathom - unless of course I'm 125% wrong! And any posts anyone deems inappropriate can and will be removed ASAP.
Kay - it is kind of like giving 110% that you hear on the sports interviews all the time
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore. But I won’t be submitting my answer as I was the grateful recipient of a couple of welcome life preservers.
cashk

Post by cashk »

On shore.

Feel stupid for getting half way there and then spending so long on the obvious second half of meta.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Tony S wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:29 pm
TMart wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:43 pm Quick trip to shore. I'll take a light beer - the Guinness is starting to show.
A 330ml serving of Guinness Draught has only 125 calories, certainly not enough to steer anyone toward those dreadful light beers on the market.
Take smaller sips and you will burn more calories!
:)
One world. One planet. One future.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Joining the shore party! I missed last week, having never played Tetris (really!).
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:40 pm
tbmet wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:02 pm Where can I find answers to previous Friday contests?
You came to the right place. Thanks to Joe Ross, we have a library of all the previous contests and answers.

Go to Come Aboard/FAQs-community/Past WSJ Crossword Contests and Solutions.

and welcome to the group
steveb put as much, or more, work into creating this resource for muggles. Bob - your Cruise Director, BrianMac, BarbaraK, and KayW all contributed valuable help, advice, and secured permissions to bring it about.

Welcome!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

howardl wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:47 pm I'm on shore. I was ready to despair thinking that this was going to be one of those that is just too hard, when suddenly the meaning of the title hit me over the head, and I found one answer, then another, and I was on my way.
Just noticed the stats on the index page, and it seems that yours was the 10,000th post in the WSJ forums!

Wow! This merits an extra round of drinks or something!

🎆 🎇🎉🍾🥂
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

On shore, fairly confidently, unusual for me to solve so early, what will I do for the rest of the weekend? Are there jigsaw puzzles or trivia contests in the bar on shore as there surely are on the ship?
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

femullen wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:25 pm This week is typical: puzzle was straightforward, except I'd never heard of Audrey Tautou or her movie.
For femullen and others who haven’t seen it, the movie is wonderful, well worth renting at your local Blockbuster.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm on shore, but not confident it's the right beach. Is there a muggle word for that?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LittleGood wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:03 pm I'm on shore, but not confident it's the right beach. Is there a muggle word for that?
Either a deserted isle or the back of a whale. Either way, we don't prejudge and count saying you are on the shore as being there. :)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

eagle1279 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 pm
femullen wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:25 pm This week is typical: puzzle was straightforward, except I'd never heard of Audrey Tautou or her movie.
For femullen and others who haven’t seen it, the movie is wonderful, well worth renting at your local Blockbuster.
I'm heading straight to blockbuster in my delorean. You'll need to fax me the directions, or send them by telex. And I'll have to dig the betamax out of the basement.

Wait, it's too long of a drive. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/busi ... store.html

I'll have to purchase the laser disc. Now to find that old player...
Rufus T. Firefly
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

At first I was thinking - you know - math is hard. Then my second cup of coffee gave me the idea to stop using Laplace Transforms.

On shore. Martini time, then the Hilton Hawaiian fireworks.
Rufus T. Firefly
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

On shore!! Too late for Guinness tonight, but tomorrow I will enjoy some draught! Even more now that I have all that great info about calories in various beers... Guinness is the way to go!!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Re: the calorie list of beers ... Bud Light Lime is one of the nastiest things you'll ever drink. And I'm a St. Louisan, so I'm allowed to bash the product.

Still at the bar with Isaac, I've been spending time on the Patrick Berry Sweet 16, and have 12 done and a few strong guesses.

Back to Gaffney, probably tomorrow.

Yes, I'm still new to metas, only started this past Nov, so this one ... OMG, so many rabbits, so little time.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Solved and submitted. On shore.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

On shore. Grid was filled with fun clues and possibilities. Meta less of an AHA and more of an OOH.
Just re-watched 46D recently. Quite enjoyable!
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

DBMiller wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:05 pm
tim1217 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:23 pm I seem to get the challenging metas fairly quickly and struggle over those that everyone says are easy. Taking a break and revisiting doesn't help. All I see are the same old rabbit holes. I'm most likely over-thinking it, but that has always been one of my strong suits. In the meantime...

...about an hour west of me there is an eagle's nest on the Iowa side of the Mississippi. The nest is in a tree on the property of the Arconic company. 11 years ago a pair of eagles (since name Liberty and Justice) built the nest and have fledged eaglets every year since. Arconic installed a live cam with an amazing view. I watched last year as Windy and Storm were hatched and raised. Unfortunately the Spring rains caused flooding that knocked out the cam, so we all missed the pair fledging. Liberty and Justice are currently mating and Liberty should be laying an egg or two very soon. Zoom in for a fantastic look. If you don't see them in the nest, check back. Before the eggs are laid, they spend time away from the nest hunting for food and gathering more materials for the nest.

https://www.arconic.com/eaglecam/
Cool. I was born and raised in the Quad Cities. Tried to go down to the river to photograph eagles the last time I was back home, but didn't have any luck.
I lived in the Quad Cities for a few years after college. I’ll be heading back for a few days this summer to visit some friends and go to the John Deere Classic. I’m looking forward to it!