"2+2=5" - February 28, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

two plus two equals
five as long as six times nine
equals forty two
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 pm At first I was thinking - you know - math is hard. Then my second cup of coffee gave me the idea to stop using Laplace Transforms.

On shore. Martini time, then the Hilton Hawaiian fireworks.
ooh so jealous - you are on Oahu? We stayed at the Hale Koa twice which is next door to the Hilton. It's been far too long since I've been there... nice to hear they still have Friday fireworks. Enjoy!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

KayW wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:30 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 pm At first I was thinking - you know - math is hard. Then my second cup of coffee gave me the idea to stop using Laplace Transforms.

ooh so jealous - you are on Oahu? We stayed at the Hale Koa twice which is next door to the Hilton. It's been far too long since I've been there... nice to hear they still have Friday fireworks. Enjoy!
Discovery Bay across the street. Friends on the top floor with balcony/lanai closest to the fireworks. Incredible view. Hilton still does fireworks every Friday plus whenever there is a wedding that pays for them, which is about every other week.

Hale Koa did a massive rebuild of the pool area last year. Multiple pools, hot tubs and a water slide. It looks like a water park. Our speed is more toward the barefoot bar in the shade. That and feeding the cats at night.
Rufus T. Firefly
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Math is really hard
I have forgotten more math
Than I ever learnt
Rufus T. Firefly
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 am Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if we have any leap people here.

A humorous article (unless you are born Feb 29) https://www.wsj.com/articles/leap-year- ... 1582910410
The closest I know of is a cousin who chose to get married on leap day. Sadly that union didn't last until the first ... anniversary? quadriversary?

I enjoyed the article. And leap day is always a good excuse to watch the Pirates of Penzance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTSlr_WRgo
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore!
Jud

Post by Jud »

Ashore and ready for happy hour.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

KayW wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:49 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 am Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if we have any leap people here.

A humorous article (unless you are born Feb 29) https://www.wsj.com/articles/leap-year- ... 1582910410
The closest I know of is a cousin who chose to get married on leap day. Sadly that union didn't last until the first ... anniversary? quadriversary?

I enjoyed the article. And leap day is always a good excuse to watch the Pirates of Penzance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WTSlr_WRgo
read the article - at the end, getting a coupon to use to celebrate your birthday, which expired on 2/28, that's ... rich.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:44 pm
KayW wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Discovery Bay across the street. Friends on the top floor with balcony/lanai closest to the fireworks. Incredible view. Hilton still does fireworks every Friday plus whenever there is a wedding that pays for them, which is about every other week.

Hale Koa did a massive rebuild of the pool area last year. Multiple pools, hot tubs and a water slide. It looks like a water park. Our speed is more toward the barefoot bar in the shade. That and feeding the cats at night.
From the comfort and privacy of your own balcony - nice!! Not sure how I feel about the "water park", but we loved the Barefoot Bar. Glad that remains! Now I get to do my Jack from Lost impression
Attachments
wehavetogoback.jpg
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

This is driving me crazy, and I know I must be way overthinking it. Posting that I’m still at bar in the hopes that writing here will inspire enlightenment.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

pop quiz tomorrow at 11 pm, hope you're prepared for it.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Colin wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:39 pm
Tony S wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:29 pm
TMart wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:43 pm Quick trip to shore. I'll take a light beer - the Guinness is starting to show.
A 330ml serving of Guinness Draught has only 125 calories, certainly not enough to steer anyone toward those dreadful light beers on the market.
Take smaller sips and you will burn more calories!
:)
Or, if you drink fast enough your Fitbit will think you are running! 😉
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Darned eigen vectors!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

it's ok, everything's orthogonal. All 20 something dimensions.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:08 pm Swimming to shore. Tried my darndest to make it harder than it was but saw the AHA today when I finally had a bit of time to stare at it.

Swimming to shore may be my only travel trip I see. We were due to fly to Italy and now I see the CDC has made it a Level 3 - DRAT!!! My problem there is not postponing, because Delta my carrier is making allowances, but the fact that we rent cottages/villas and they (1) want their money up front (2) are not often amenable to refund. :( So now I have to argue some more, and unfortunately it has been that kind of month/week where I have had to act the aggressor to make people do what good business sense and humanity should dictate they do without being asked. Seems humanity is in shorter supply than surgical marks! :x

On a more encouraging note I have been lurking and downloading those puzzles that were obtainable on the MGWCC and except for the "Illegal Activity" one I got them all (of course working on AKA now and that seems to be thwarting me). But I am now encouraged to go ahead and sign up for it. Who knows I may have the time I would have used in Italy to start doing puzzles...

Oh, and some topical humor:
Did you hear that they think the virus is now also a tick borne disease?
They are calling those infections Corona with Lyme.... :lol:
I have two words for you-travel insurance. We were booked to go to Germany and Amsterdam last year, but my husband got shingles. Every penny we had spent up front was refunded.
Heidi
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Working in finance for a public company, we had an investor relations VP who always wanted us to aggressively round up EPS numbers. The running joke was that 1+1= 3 for very large values of 1. This puzzle title reminded me of that.
jhcogan

Post by jhcogan »

Solved the grid yesterday. Can't figure out the meta. Won't get to it Sunday, either. Ship-board doubles cribbage tournament :-)
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore.

I was lost at sea
Until Casper the Little
Ghost showed me the light
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:29 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:08 pm Swimming to shore. Tried my darndest to make it harder than it was but saw the AHA today when I finally had a bit of time to stare at it.

Swimming to shore may be my only travel trip I see. We were due to fly to Italy and now I see the CDC has made it a Level 3 - DRAT!!! My problem there is not postponing, because Delta my carrier is making allowances, but the fact that we rent cottages/villas and they (1) want their money up front (2) are not often amenable to refund. :( So now I have to argue some more, and unfortunately it has been that kind of month/week where I have had to act the aggressor to make people do what good business sense and humanity should dictate they do without being asked. Seems humanity is in shorter supply than surgical marks! :x

On a more encouraging note I have been lurking and downloading those puzzles that were obtainable on the MGWCC and except for the "Illegal Activity" one I got them all (of course working on AKA now and that seems to be thwarting me). But I am now encouraged to go ahead and sign up for it. Who knows I may have the time I would have used in Italy to start doing puzzles...

Oh, and some topical humor:
Did you hear that they think the virus is now also a tick borne disease?
They are calling those infections Corona with Lyme.... :lol:
I have two words for you-travel insurance. We were booked to go to Germany and Amsterdam last year, but my husband got shingles. Every penny we had spent up front was refunded.
However be aware that travel insurance has no value when the reason you are going is an epidemic.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I'm with the small contingent still aboard. Frustrating not to see what so many others have seen. OTOH, I got the MGWCC right away and wondered if it was really a week #4.
Jay