"Game Pieces" - February 21, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:07 pm
Geoduck wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:51 pm
I think I like YOURS, too -- but... what the heck is it?
Periodically I do some high speed photography. This is a drop of food coloring hitting the surface of a glass of milk. The red ball at the top is most of the drop of food coloring bouncing off the surface of the milk. It loses some of its volume in the process which is the column below it. The flash time was about 50 microseconds.

I have some of a pellet from a pellet gun hitting a balloon or an egg. I would like to stop a bullet but I would have to get a submicrosecond flash which goes for about $1000.
So a disciple of old Doc Edgington at MIT?
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I have made it to the (very crowded) shore.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I have a slight bone to pick about how to come up with the answer, even though I saw the answer immediately based on what I got. I haven't played this game, so not sure if this bone has something to do with the way the game is played.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:59 pm This is not a game I know, which I guess could be said about every game except perhaps ring-a-levio and strip poker. But I have heard of it and thus find myself on shore.
Ring-a-levio, I hadn’t heard that game mentioned in fifty years. I grew up in the Bronx and we used to play that in the streets.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I gotta tell ya I was feeling REALLY stupid when I saw 5 pages of posts by about midnight THURSDAY and I'm looking and saying WHA?????

Then something I saw earlier casually jumped out at me and said, in its most Homeric way, DOH! I am glad to have solved it early, but of course now I have nothing to do. I'm going to have to join the MGWCC I suppose and really embarrass myself.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:12 am
Bird Lives wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:59 pm This is not a game I know, which I guess could be said about every game except perhaps ring-a-levio and strip poker. But I have heard of it and thus find myself on shore.
Ring-a-levio, I hadn’t heard that game mentioned in fifty years. I grew up in the Bronx and we used to play that in the streets.
I'm pretty sure I saw a TV ad for that game! Isn't that the one where people hide and then the other team tries to collar them? Yep, I'm certain of it now - Ring-a-levio around the collar.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh, and I once played strip poker with a bunch of people but at the end of it all we had was a bunch of very clean pokers and what's the fun in that? Took me days to get the soot off my hands as well - silly game. :lol:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh, and to be clear - ashore.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:26 am ... I am glad to have solved it early, but of course now I have nothing to do. I'm going to have to join the MGWCC I suppose and really embarrass myself.
That's exactly how I feel. Happy for the early solve, but then disappointed I don't have a puzzle. There's just no pleasing me! ha ha I will also have to join the MGWCC. I took a stab at it last week without joining and got the puzzle, but I'm sure once I get the subscription it will be all downhill.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

On shore.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Had to sleep on it, but I now I’m surely on shore.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On shore enjoying a glass of lemonade. Fun puzzle and beautifully constructed.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

billkatz wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:25 am
Periodically I do some high speed photography. This is a drop of food coloring hitting the surface of a glass of milk. The red ball at the top is most of the drop of food coloring bouncing off the surface of the milk. It loses some of its volume in the process which is the column below it. The flash time was about 50 microseconds.

I have some of a pellet from a pellet gun hitting a balloon or an egg. I would like to stop a bullet but I would have to get a submicrosecond flash which goes for about $1000.
So a disciple of old Doc Edgington at MIT?
absolutely
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LittleGood wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 pm I've been lurking here for a while. So happy tonight to make it ashore for the first time since Just My Type.
Welcome to the clan. We love lurkers so hopefully we will see you frequently. Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Scooby wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 pm I see nothing, whyyyyyy...still chilling on the ship. Feeling so defeated that everyone said it's easy...will report back once there's light.
It's easy only if you know the game.
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved. Cynthia J
Cynthia
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Ashore with semi-strong confidence. And the more I look back at it, it's turning into strong confidence. Second Friday contest in a row with a 61A reference.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Love the avatar :lol:

That's something I've thought about toying around with. I've done a bit on the opposite side of the speed spectrum -- slo-mo stuff.

Any kind of photography is fun.

My father studied under Doc Edgerton at MIT.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Scooby wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 pm I see nothing, whyyyyyy...still chilling on the ship. Feeling so defeated that everyone said it's easy...will report back once there's light.
I'm with you, Scooby. Grid is solved. I see a few interesting things but no games yet. I don't know all that many games, but I managed to solve the SETTLERS OF CATAN puzzle that Bob referenced (11/10/17) despite never having heard of it, thanks to google-ability provided by that meta's construction. Sitting with Isaac and keeping my fingers crossed that this week will be similarly solvable.

...and hoping my comment doesn't provide any unintentional spoilers. It sure isn't a spoiler to me as I'm still on the ship!

Time to put this on the back burner for a bit and let things simmer...

p.s. Thanks again to Joe Ross for posting all the past puzzles. Which made finding that 2017 puzzle so much easier!!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Got it, but I broke my previous record for over-thinking a puzzle. I was misled (pronounced correctly as mizzled) by a few things that I thought could not be coincidences....but they were. And there is still something I don't understand, but assume it has to do with the game, which although well-known is not one I have ever played.