"Grid Daring" - February 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, well I am going to make the jump to the water for a swim to shore. I'm pretty sure that what I have is the answer, though I truthfully can say that I backed myself into it and am DYING to see it explained in anything less than a page and a half. I keep trying to find the second part and rearranging things to get to where I think I should be but I have a feeling I could do this forever and never get very far.

So, over the side for me, and hopefully I will not land on a sandbar and crack open my MELLON as I part the waters then find my location and make a DASH for the ALLURING shore and ORDER a drink and a SPRING ROLL. :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

I have washed ashore with the... rest
And so best save my limerick lest
Someone g‘get a slight edge
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
KayW

Post by KayW »

Aha!!!! Inspiration strikes while stuck in midnight traffic jam. Confirmed my hunch when I got home and looked at the puzzle.

Relaxing on shore with the first of several 26As.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore somewhere though we felt like we still had some loose ends. The solution we submitted is the one we found Thursday night but we kept looking for closure. Happy week to all.
howardl

Post by howardl »

I'm ashore and 100% certain of my answer. But I expect there to be one additional hint to the answer that I've missed.
Patty

Post by Patty »

It's quite calm here at sea. I think I will be here for the duration!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore! 🌴🏖🍷
Konnie
Abide

Post by Abide »

FInally made it last night after treading water for the last two days. I had the idea for the "second part" early on, but took me way to long to figure out the "first part". Nice work by the Meta Master!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Janet

Post by Janet »

AHA! Found the wascally wabbit! I was about to abandon my approach, when I noticed something....
Ashore with the others now.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Been grid-glazed for too long, so turned in my answer which, on the face of it, seems solid. But like others here, I have a missing final link and it is nagging me.
Time will tell!
One world. One planet. One future.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Still at Isaac's bar. He's suggesting I use the seat belt at this point.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Tomorrow is a holiday. Will we get the solution tonight?
Heidi
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm headed to shore. No click at all, let alone a resounding one, but I can't see any other rabbits to chase. I guess I'll find out at midnight if I made it to the correct beach party.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

Still on ship. I had some momentum but hit a dead end. I will submit what I think is happening but there must be something wrong in my grid to get past this hurdle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles
We have two new muggles since yesterday: Libbypibby and tonyrobots - we welcome them and wish them good luck winning the mug.

Progress to shore has been steady but wobbly and we have a solid contingent of 17 on the ship keeping Isaac company while there are 93 of us on the shore.

Making their way to the ship's bar since yesterday are:
Susan G
LLinNC
MajorDomoTom
Tom S
Patty
Brian D
and Janet P

While getting to either the shore or a shore are:
Libbypibby
Hidden in 3D
Matthew M
tonyrobots
SusieG
Debbie
maprasad
Jim and Anita
Limerick Savant
phofer
Bill T
horsesense
DrTom
Kay
Peter A
ImOnToo
howardl
Janet
Colin
and David Wa

Since this is the week of data and calculations, with the help of Barbara K's data, I have observed the following:

There are a lot more of us on shore each week than every before and the number is continually growing. The down side is that your odds of winning the mug are not improving.
On Shore per weeka.jpg
Also the percentage of us on shore compared to the total of the WSJ entries is pretty constant at 7-8% so while our numbers have been growing so has participation of nonmuggles.
On shore vs WSJ Entriesa.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:55 am Tomorrow is a holiday. Will we get the solution tonight?
We will get it *midnight, tomorrow, with the publication of Tuesday's puzzle PDF.

Last year's publication dates around Presidents' Day:

Presidents Day 2019.gif

*EDIT1

EDIT2: Last year, the answer was posted 24 hours later than normal. The latest holiday, MLK Day - January 20th, the answer was posted Monday, 4 PM.
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Finally figured out why my answer works.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

wife & I now have an answer which meets all the puzzle criteria, but we need to confirm a few letters in the second part to be 100%.

count us on the shore
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Count me ashore & submitted, please.

I may have a completely unique take on this week's meta, but I have repeated paths to components of the answer, which definitely is an entertainment category .

EDIT: Decompressing with a Taft's Brewing Co. Maverick Chocolate Porter:

Screenshot_20200216-152207.png
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Inca

Post by Inca »

I'm quite sure I have the correct solution (it's too perfect to be otherwise) but some have posted that they got the 2nd half but can't find the first and that has me wondering how that's possible.