"Grid Daring" - February 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Inca wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm I'm quite sure I have the correct solution (it's too perfect to be otherwise) but some have posted that they got the 2nd half but can't find the first and that has me wondering how that's possible.
agreed
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
howardl

Post by howardl »

On these weekends with a holiday Monday and the official answer won't be released until midnight on Monday night -- Is is okay to talk about the answers we got after midnight on Sunday? Or will people still be submitting answers during the day on Monday?
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

I was completely wrong before, when I thought I had the answer but couldn't quite justify it. Am 100% on the right shore now with a compass and a map and wow this was a terrific puzzle. Some real red herrings in there, though!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

howardl wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:42 pm On these weekends with a holiday Monday and the official answer won't be released until midnight on Monday night -- Is is okay to talk about the answers we got after midnight on Sunday? Or will people still be submitting answers during the day on Monday?
Good question. I think our administrators need to make the decision.
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Inca wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm I'm quite sure I have the correct solution (it's too perfect to be otherwise) but some have posted that they got the 2nd half but can't find the first and that has me wondering how that's possible.
Tune in in 10 hours and all day tomorrow what will be a protracted discussion.

If you liked last week, you will love this week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

howardl wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:42 pm On these weekends with a holiday Monday and the official answer won't be released until midnight on Monday night -- Is is okay to talk about the answers we got after midnight on Sunday? Or will people still be submitting answers during the day on Monday?
Since the contest rules at the bottom indicate that answers have to be in by 11:59pm February 16 (tonight before midnight), my opinion is that after midnight, all discussions are fair game. Anyone submitting answers on Monday will not be allowed.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

For the MLK holiday, January 20th, we discussed at midnight, Sunday.

Also, that solution was posted on WSJ at 4 PM, Monday.

685581059671825985.png
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Colin wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:06 am Been grid-glazed for too long...
Amen, brother!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

Newbie here. Got last week's. Floundering in the water this week. Have no clue what to do with what I've got.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:13 pm
Since the contest rules at the bottom indicate that answers have to be in by 11:59pm February 16 (tonight before midnight), my opinion is that after midnight, all discussions are fair game. Anyone submitting answers on Monday will not be allowed.
Good. Don't know if I could take another whole day at the bar drinking with Isaac. Well, maybe I could.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Finally on shore!!! It was right there all the time. Phew.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

JimJim wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:36 pm Newbie here. Got last week's. Floundering in the water this week. Have no clue what to do with what I've got.
Tune in tomorrow as there will be a lot of discussion and it will be a learning experience for a lot of us.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:57 am Good Sunday morning muggles
We have two new muggles since yesterday: Libbypibby and tonyrobots - we welcome them and wish them good luck winning the mug.

Progress to shore has been steady but wobbly and we have a solid contingent of 17 on the ship keeping Isaac company while there are 93 of us on the shore.

Making their way to the ship's bar since yesterday are:
Susan G
LLinNC
MajorDomoTom
Tom S
Patty
Brian D
and Janet P

While getting to either the shore or a shore are:
Libbypibby
Hidden in 3D
Matthew M
tonyrobots
SusieG
Debbie
maprasad
Jim and Anita
Limerick Savant
phofer
Bill T
horsesense
DrTom
Kay
Peter A
ImOnToo
howardl
Janet
Colin
and David Wa

Since this is the week of data and calculations, with the help of Barbara K's data, I have observed the following:

There are a lot more of us on shore each week than every before and the number is continually growing. The down side is that your odds of winning the mug are not improving.

On Shore per weeka.jpg

Also the percentage of us on shore compared to the total of the WSJ entries is pretty constant at 7-8% so while our numbers have been growing so has participation of nonmuggles.

On shore vs WSJ Entriesa.jpg
Knowledge & Thoroughness! Very nicely done!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

On shore. Fun one!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Solved!
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

On shore with what I think is the correct answer. I jumped from "got the first part" to "I think this is the meta answer", but missed the Aha! Hmmm?
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

If I'd not been "spelling challenged" (more later on that), I'd have had this either Thursday night or Friday morning.

But ... I fixed that and it fixed my answer.

I do like Matt Smith ...
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on shore. i really got sidetracked for awhile - guess that's why they call it a rabbit hole. happy to finally solve it!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I got the meta.....but I didn’t have the entire process, which caused several hours of searching. Fruitless, rabbitless searching, because Gaffney metas are not vague or unfinished. Then I realized that the explanation was right there. In plain sight. At the end of my nose. Pick any idiom you like. Sometimes I just try too hard.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Meg wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:09 pm I got the meta.....but I didn’t have the entire process, which caused several hours of searching. Fruitless, rabbitless searching, because Gaffney metas are not vague or unfinished. Then I realized that the explanation was right there. In plain sight. At the end of my nose. Pick any idiom you like. Sometimes I just try too hard.
At the end of your nose appears to be some kind of greens. So lettuce be thankful you got the answer!