"Grid Daring" - February 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:52 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:41 pm I started in November 2015 ("SCOTTIE PIPPEN") and I'm 203/208. Last miss was PAGEANT in Dec 2017. There is an asterisk though... when I was out of commission and delirious for days with a still-unknown "viral thing" in July 2019 and spaced out that there was even a puzzle, my Muggle buddies on this forum gave me a pass -- don't count as a solve or a miss -- so with that (and my thanks!) my streak is now 110. And still no mug.
The problem is that you are so fast that the WSJ computer can't keep up with you so they miss you when they have the drawing for the mug.

LOL
Ah, it all makes sense now... My ex-wives must have been referring to winning the mug when they said "He's not good, but he's fast." Got it.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I believe I got the final step towards solving the meta last night before dropping off to sleep. (Yes, I am often running the theme answers through my mind when my head touches the pillow!) But I decided it would be wise to wait until morning to submit. After my first cup of coffee today I was able to remember what my pitiful little brain had pieced together after turning off the light and was still hesitant about submitting because the Aha moment was just not as satisfying as it normally is. Now I've decided to go with what I've got, so I am pronouncing that I am on shore, hoping it's not the wrong shore.

And hey - isn't it great how we Muggles often have meta insights before settling in for the night, immediately upon waking up in the morning and some of our members even dream about the WSJ Crossword Contest?!!!
Sara
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:55 pm I believe I got the final step towards solving the meta last night before dropping off to sleep. (Yes, I am often running the theme answers through my mind when my head touches the pillow!) But I decided it would be wise to wait until morning to submit. After my first cup of coffee today I was able to remember what my pitiful little brain had pieced together after turning off the light and was still hesitant about submitting because the Aha moment was just not as satisfying as it normally is. Now I've decided to go with what I've got, so I am pronouncing that I am on shore, hoping it's not the wrong shore.

And hey - isn't it great how we Muggles often have meta insights before settling in for the night, immediately upon waking up in the morning and some of our members even dream about the WSJ Crossword Contest?!!!
My "aha's" usually occur in the shower or while folding laundry!
Heidi
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

Ashore before Sunday again!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Still on the boat. I see the obvious parts, but not putting it all together yet. I will give my mind a rest and look at it again later.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’m jumping ship. Swimming to shore and hoping it’s the right one.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Just starting to do the WSJ after starting with Matt Gaffney's Weekly puzzles in December. This is just my third week, and having floundered on the first two, I believe I am now finally on shore... but not so sure how I got there. Will hold off submitting until I can connect more dots. Either way, very happy to be a newly-minted Muggle!
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Finally ashore after a day of drifting at sea, with a sudden aha moment that came unexpectedly:

Ready to call it quits
with meta beyond my wits
But hey, I'm a muggle
who's used to the struggle
And lucked on an answer that fits!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I am still hopelessly foundering. I have the 10 (I think?) but cannot make anything from them that makes sense let alone any category of entertainment. Because of that I cannot help but feel I do NOT have the 10 since my experience is that either they make the answer or I've made a mistake.

I think I'll go join my wife for an actual cocktail (as opposed to Isaac's which though virtually delicious do not provide the soothing touch I need when I am sure I am an idiot for not solving what everyone else feels is easy). Perhaps a duller sensorium will help cause the current one sure does not.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well darn, I think I just go the first part, so I think I can figure out the second. But I'll be darned if I could explain how to get all the way home from where I am except for "WAG" or perhaps "EWAG" (Educated Wild A** Guess) :shock:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I’m with Isaac, but I’m not giving up. It’s right there somewhere.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:36 pm Well darn, I think I just go the first part, so I think I can figure out the second. But I'll be darned if I could explain how to get all the way home from where I am except for "WAG" or perhaps "EWAG" (Educated Wild A** Guess) :shock:
Keep at it, you'll figure it out!
Heidi
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:14 pm
... I think I'll go join my wife for an actual cocktail (as opposed to Isaac's which though virtually delicious do not provide the soothing touch I need when I am sure I am an idiot for not solving what everyone else feels is easy). Perhaps a duller sensorium will help cause the current one sure does not.
Reality is such a drag... I'd much rather be where I am. As my brother wrote for our latest CD:

"I'm going out again tonight to drink away my funk,
Don't tell me what I did when it's all over.
It's not so much the case that I love being drunk;
I can't take the real world when I'm sober."
LLinNC

Post by LLinNC »

I guess my mind does not work the way others' do. I see what I think must be something, but I can't make it into anything. Feeling hopelessly lost at sea. Going to take a break and see if something comes to me in the morning. Isaac, I'll take a dark and stormy to go along with my mood.😕
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

Ashore.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Bob, I'm still on the boat.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

On shore after a pleasant swim. Pleasant but with some twists. It’s a 100%-er.
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

Ashore and submitted.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Count me on the boat.

With no printer this week, I doubt I will leave Isaac's side. The rabbits keep multiplying, and they are all laughing at me.
Rufus T. Firefly
Colin

Post by Colin »

Almost there (I think),
But reluctant to jump in the drink,
Isaac’s still pouring,
I’ll soon be a-snoring,
With the sun, I will look for the link
One world. One planet. One future.