"Grid Daring" - February 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

cashk wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:52 pm I think I'm on shore, for the first time ever, but

I think I got first half of answer correct as the meta is obvious, but am I supposed to make an obvious guess for second half of answer, or is there a way to solve the second half with meta?
Title, title title.
Heidi
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore and headed for the cooler. I usually stick with Yuengling - never mix, never worry - but the mere mention of a Rolling Rock pony wets my whistle. Cheers!
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach 🏖 🍷!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Count me ashore. I’m sure what I have is right though I don’t see where others have said it clicks.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Grid finished, and I've seen something interesting, but don't know what to do next. I'm hoping there's a logical mechanism, and not mere guesswork here.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

On shore! Took me a little longer than it sounds like it did for others.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Fun to read of the drinking preferences here. For once I'll top you all. Valentine's Day dinner needed to be the day before this year. Delightful little place in Ann Arbor called Logan. Champagne toast, followed by the cocktails Alpini (with rye, scotch, and other stuff, to accompany a gnocchi puttanesca) and a Sazerac (to accompany a wild board bolognese), then a glass of Riesling (to play off the spicy Thai scallops) and a Spanish white (for a Mexican-tinged shrimp and grits), finally a little chocolate and raspberry tart-like thing -- all for less than $200 with tip. Half-plate sizes helped.

There are advantages to living in the frozen north. Cost of living (and drinking!) is low.

Oh, yes, and I got the puzzle just before leaving the house, so I didn't need to obsess on it over dinner.

Treat your sweetest well tomorrow!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Ashore!

Phew! Now I can focus on getting work done in the morning.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Ashore...giggling on 48D clue, pretty wicked.
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

Grid solved, still in my usual spot on the boat.... 1D + 27D.... intentional? Another Miller Lite please, Isaac.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:01 pm Fun to read of the drinking preferences here. For once I'll top you all. Valentine's Day dinner needed to be the day before this year. Delightful little place in Ann Arbor called Logan. Champagne toast, followed by the cocktails Alpini (with rye, scotch, and other stuff, to accompany a gnocchi puttanesca) and a Sazerac (to accompany a wild board bolognese), then a glass of Riesling (to play off the spicy Thai scallops) and a Spanish white (for a Mexican-tinged shrimp and grits), finally a little chocolate and raspberry tart-like thing -- all for less than $200 with tip. Half-plate sizes helped.

There are advantages to living in the frozen north. Cost of living (and drinking!) is low.
Wow, Chris, that sounds fancy! But in true Heck style, we will be spending less than that for our Yuengling/Miller Lite and chicken tenders/quesadilla. Advantages to having the palate of a (beer drinking) toddler. :D
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:01 pm Fun to read of the drinking preferences here. For once I'll top you all. Valentine's Day dinner needed to be the day before this year. Delightful little place in Ann Arbor called Logan. Champagne toast, followed by the cocktails Alpini (with rye, scotch, and other stuff, to accompany a gnocchi puttanesca) and a Sazerac (to accompany a wild board bolognese), then a glass of Riesling (to play off the spicy Thai scallops) and a Spanish white (for a Mexican-tinged shrimp and grits), finally a little chocolate and raspberry tart-like thing -- all for less than $200 with tip. Half-plate sizes helped.

Oh, yes, and I got the puzzle just before leaving the house, so I didn't need to obsess on it over dinner.

Treat your sweetest well tomorrow!
Tomorrow I’ll be making filet mignon with roasted potatoes and homegrown sugar snap peas. And a salad with Bibb lettuce, pears and Gorgonzola. So there! Glad you had a great dinner!
Last edited by hcbirker on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Ashore. Very enjoyable “Aha.” Thanks, Matt.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I think I can see the mechanism and I also think I can get the letters. However, that is where this little train stops because I cannot seem to make anything intelligible out of them. Gonna be a long week-end I can tell, or I think I can.

RATS - I hate it when I get so far and then cannot get out of the woods - come HERE rabbit!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Streroto wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm Count me ashore. I’m sure what I have is right though I don’t see where others have said it clicks.
Exactly! I'm sure I'm ashore, but I can't quite explain how I got there. It's like those movies where the ship goes down and our hero wakes up on the beach...
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

I'm curious how many folks on this chat have won the mug, and how many years of playing it took?
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Dawned on me = 0535... Oh! Forehead smack!!
Ashore!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
KayW

Post by KayW »

LAS. Feeling like the dog that caught the car - I see what must be the mechanism but not what to do with it. ...What category are the Wonder Twins?🙂

(And I hope that’s not In any way a spoiler; I am so lost it would be completely inadvertent)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:06 am Well I think I can see the mechanism and I also think I can get the letters. However, that is where this little train stops because I cannot seem to make anything intelligible out of them. Gonna be a long week-end I can tell, or I think I can.

RATS - I hate it when I get so far and then cannot get out of the woods - come HERE rabbit!!!
I'm in the exact same boat (so to speak) as you. Working hard for that as of yet "aha" moment. Frustrating to be so close!
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

On shore.