"Continuing Education" - February 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Wow, very nice construction! I made the grade.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Huh?

Edited: ashore
Last edited by Dplass on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Ashore somewhere warmer than the chess apeak
Good luck everyone!
KayW

Post by KayW »

69A! On shore ...watching the pageant of (with?) trepidation. If it's the wrong shore I think I'll have lots of company.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, on shore, done and done, off the boat! Whew.
Cynthia
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Ashore.

If it's the wrong shore, then it's an incredible coincidence. If it's the right shore, then I liked this one a lot.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Count me hanging with Isaac yet.
Might be over-complicating things but seeing so much trepidation here is disconcerting.
Bloody Mary, please, and with extra horseradish!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I believe I am on shore, but all these posts are making me trepidatious!!
Sara
Don S.

Post by Don S. »

Yes, there are 2 completely legitimate answers to this puzzle, IMHO. I went with the one that I believe the constructor intended, though I can easily see it being the other one...
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Went down one bunny hole, but quickly pulled myself out and am now ashore! Much better than last week.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Toes in sand!

The answer I found fairly quickly is so clear, it seems like a 100%-er. So, with much to do this weekend, I'm not going to look for the other legit answer that some here seem to be finding. Monday morning's reveal will be interesting!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On shore, but I'm going to hold off a while before submitting.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

On Shore!

I think I know what this "trepidation" thing is that people are referring to. I saw it right away. But it doesn't fit the pattern correctly, so I had very little trepidation ignoring it.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Don S. wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:49 am Yes, there are 2 completely legitimate answers to this puzzle, IMHO. I went with the one that I believe the constructor intended, though I can easily see it being the other one...
I agree. The clue clearly states "A college founder" indicating singular--only one. However, I also feel that there are 2 equally valid answers. Is there more to this puzzle that would clarify the issue? Pageantry? I'm leaning toward the obvious. We'll see.
damefox

Post by damefox »

There seems to be 1 intended answer, >1 "valid" answers, and no "correct" answers, IMO. I haven't submitted yet because I feel like there must be more to it, since if this is all there is, then as stated the prompt is essentially wrong.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

As documented to a fellow muggle who has submitted, I see 4 possible answers, with my subjective handicapping, below. Explanation on Monday.

60%

30% My submitted answer.

9%

1%
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Hector

Post by Hector »

damefox wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:53 am There seems to be 1 intended answer, >1 "valid" answers, and no "correct" answers, IMO. There's an obvious school this person is supposed to have founded, but it is not at all accurate to describe the institution's founding that way. Check Wikipedia if you don't believe me. I haven't submitted yet because I feel like there must be more to it, since if this is all there is, then as stated the prompt is essentially wrong.
That's why I said I submitted something they didn't ask for. We'll see!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning

First a warm welcome to our three newest muggles: yourpalsal, SusieG and michaelm. They have all made their way to the warm and dry shore.

We have 6 on the ship, mostly with an answer but... and we have 78 on the shore.

Last thing for those of us in New England, 42 years ago, we were in the midst of a blizzard which was legendary.

And 50 years ago, I was sitting in our apartment playing cards with my mother in law while my wife was in labor with our son. (for those who forget, the hospitals at that time did not allow the father in the labor room or the delivery room). And my wife has not let me forget!!!
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

The comments here convince us more and more that we have the same trepidation as others. There are plausibly 4 answers to this, assuming we're thinking the same school as others.

Do we roll the dice? Still stewing about it here in Colorado, where we're getting another 3 inches today after 5 on Thursday. (talk about icy!)

Rita and George