"Continuing Education" - February 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Oh, I also thought the group would get a kick out of this...

https://money.cnn.com/2015/10/02/media/ ... index.html

The man, the myth, the legend...
sactonortherncal

Post by sactonortherncal »

Very late to the game on this one but I have to comment.

I got MELLON easily and instantly thought of Carnegie, who I eventually submitted, but it felt inelegant after googling to find out the two Mellons founded the other school.

My rabbit holes were the clue at the end of the Dartmouth line being “Not NEG.” which felt like a hint that it wasn’t Carnegie, the clue at the end of the Cornell line being “ANDean CARriers” and the clue at the end of the Baylor line being about a CAR... even EGG being in the grid started seeming meaningful. Thats when I knew my brain was in trouble.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

sactonortherncal wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 am Very late to the game on this one but I have to comment.

I got MELLON easily and instantly thought of Carnegie, who I eventually submitted, but it felt inelegant after googling to find out the two Mellons founded the other school.

My rabbit holes were the clue at the end of the Dartmouth line being “Not NEG.” which felt like a hint that it wasn’t Carnegie, the clue at the end of the Cornell line being “ANDean CARriers” and the clue at the end of the Baylor line being about a CAR... even EGG being in the grid started seeming meaningful. Thats when I knew my brain was in trouble.
I think Dr. Seuss was thinking of us meta-solvers when he wrote "Oh, The Places You'll Go!"