"Parting The Waters" - January 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

KarenO wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:47 pm If I live to be 110 I could never have gotten this ever.
Karen
This was one of the hardest contests, if not the hardest, so don't be discouraged. A lot of the pros here either struggled with it or did not get it. Hang in there and keep at it.

Also look at the old puzzles that Joe Ross has assembled under Come Aboard/FAQs-Community/Past WSJ Crossword Contests and Solutions to get the hang of all the different ways that the evil creators can come up with.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

KarenO wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:47 pm If I live to be 110 I could never have gotten this ever.
If I live to be 110, I could never do what Joe Ross does!!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

I was away for the weekend and couldn't work on the puzzle. Seems like Harry Chapin's "Dance Band on the Titanic" pretty much sums up the meta this week.

Dance band on the Titanic,
Sing "Nearer my God to thee".
The iceberg's off the starboard bow,
Won't you dance with me?
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Scrablett

Post by Scrablett »

I was stuck on Eerier for a long time, trying to find names hidden within single words. Then I found my inroad with CHESS APEAK.

To add to the rabbit hole list:
Bible Verses (my son thought of that one) - yes, we were looking up chapters and numbered verses in Exodus for clues LOL.