"Just My Type" - January 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:09 am Sending beams of love to Joe, BrianMac, Bob, Mike and any others involved in making this treasure trove of past metas available to all of us. Thanks! I needed that!
I’m sure all Muggles join me in this heartfelt appreciation. ❤️🙋‍♀️
Add steveb to the list to thank, please. Steve offered to share every PDF of past Crossword Contests, which he has saved. Thank you, Steve!

Puzzles from January of 2019 through today have been posted, along with February 2017 through August 2017.

With apologies for tardiness, the very first puzzle & solution that should have been posted:

20171229 WSJCC Play Grounds - PAGEANTED.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Therbsman wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:50 am Hey just out of curiosity, the star rating for puzzles is for perceived difficulty? fun factor?
It’s the difficulty.

When I look at this site on my desktop, it actually says that, but on my phone it doesn’t.

What I’m not sure of is whether the difficulty is based on the Kas scale
forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35
or something else.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning. We have had a steady progression of muggles getting to the shore so that we have 118 currently on the shore and 3 keeping Isaac company.

For everyone who does not have senior moments, here is what you have to look forward to. Each week I do a "find" on the name and then I have a column where I put in ship or shore depending on where you are. So when I found "Guy", what I put in the column was "Guy" instead of shore. Fortunately it came to the top when I sorted it.

New to keeping Isaac company is Diane from the WSJ comments

And joining us on the shore are
Barry
martin
Nalugirl
NuYear68
Ann P
phofer
higgysue
Phil and Kelli
jag
garryj
Amanda
and Guy

Fortunately we have a very large beach and a well stocked tiki bar so everyone is welcome

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:57 am
MaineMarge wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:09 am Sending beams of love to Joe, BrianMac, Bob, Mike and any others involved in making this treasure trove of past metas available to all of us. Thanks! I needed that!
I’m sure all Muggles join me in this heartfelt appreciation. ❤️🙋‍♀️
Add steveb to the list to thank, please. Steve offered to share every PDF of past Crossword Contests, which he has saved. Thank you, Steve!

Puzzles from January of 2019 through today have been posted, along with February 2017 through August 2017.

With apologies for tardiness, the very first puzzle & solution that should have been posted:

20171229 WSJCC Play Grounds - PAGEANTED.gif
Ah yes, I remember it well. I had "solved" it, the clues made sense, it fit the "asks" and it was WRONG. Hmm - to quote Hans Solo "I've got a bad feeling about this"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Never tell me the odds.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 am It’s the difficulty.

When I look at this site on my desktop, it actually says that, but on my phone it doesn’t.
Try looking at it in portrait & landscape views on your phone.

IMG_20200126_125557_01.png
IMG_20200126_125149_01.png
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

As usual, I "think" I have the answer and have submitted. For me, a very clever puzzle!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 am It’s the difficulty.

Try looking at it in portrait & landscape views on your phone.

IMG_20200126_125557_01.png

IMG_20200126_125149_01.png
No difference on my little phone, but interesting.
Therbsman

Post by Therbsman »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 am
Therbsman wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:50 am Hey just out of curiosity, the star rating for puzzles is for perceived difficulty? fun factor?
It’s the difficulty.

What I’m not sure of is whether the difficulty is based on the Kas scale
or something else.
Oh yeah, there it is when I flip my phone. I've never checked this forum except portrait mode on my phone.
jhcogan

Post by jhcogan »

Solved the grid, but have only made it on shore twice in the last couple months of attempting the contest--and the last time was for Ted Talks. This weekend has been another one spent with Isaac (& my girlfriend who helped with the grid)--so it's not all bad. I won't get to shore again this time. Have a 4am start to my workweek tomorrow, so I wish everyone well until next week (February!!!). -John in Vermont
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

jhcogan wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:41 pm Solved the grid, but have only made it on shore twice in the last couple months of attempting the contest--and the last time was for Ted Talks. This weekend has been another one spent with Isaac (& my girlfriend who helped with the grid)--so it's not all bad. I won't get to shore again this time. Have a 4am start to my workweek tomorrow, so I wish everyone well until next week (February!!!). -John in Vermont
Hang in there and keep trying. They will start to come sooner than later. And listen to your girlfriend ;)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore--late as usual. I hope there's room at the tiki bar for one more.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

plenty of room, but the rum is starting to run low
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our final count is 4 on the ship and 120 on the shore.

jhcogan just went to the bar and Dennis and DaveWa just made it to the shore

Good luck to all winning the mub
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:07 pm Our final count is 4 on the ship and 120 on the shore.

Count me with Isaac. Can't get past the first step.

Happy Australia Day
Rufus T. Firefly
garryj

Post by garryj »

XWord Muggles Forum
A place to discuss the WSJ Weekly Crossword Contest and other "meta"-style crosswords
forums/
The KAS Scale
Page 1 of 1
The KAS Scale
Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 am
by Bob cruise director
As we solve (or don't solve) these puzzles, we go through a range of emotions. Kas DeCarvalho created this scale to capture our levels of emotions - repeated verbatim

1. The Metas that yield the A-Ha Moment too early...and I'm irritable about it, because I'm a dork;

2. The Metas that I torture myself over, then the a-ha moment is basically a head-slapping "Oh DUH!! You Eeeediott!!" Those make me laugh, self-deprecation is no problem;

3. The Metas I gut through, *eventually* figure out...and then walk around the rest of the weekend like I just solved The Middle East or learned Sanskrit;

4. The Metas I DON'T get...but *should* have. (It happens. I don't want to talk about it.)

5. The Metas I don't get, and after the answer is revealed I think, "Yeah...that wasn't going to happen." (Those mostly make me want to put out a Mob hit on certain genius MUGgles here...YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. Lol!)
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:45 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:07 pm Our final count is 4 on the ship and 120 on the shore.

Count me with Isaac. Can't get past the first step.

Happy Australia Day
After several seconds of (not-so-)careful contemplation, I submitted an answer. It seems to fit Marie's style, so I'm swimming to shore. Hope there are no pageant sharks in the water.
Rufus T. Firefly
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Being a frequent,unreformed practitioner, I don't normally point out typo's. But I couldn't help thinking of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VdMdboymT8
Rufus T. Firefly
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

one of his more brilliant scenes.

apt natural
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:24 pm

Being a frequent,unreformed practitioner, I don't normally point out typo's. But I couldn't help thinking of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VdMdboymT8
OK, now I wanna win the mub! I have had little to no luck with the mug and I do not mind being a mubble (a distant cousin to the famous TV actor Barnie who was Fred's friend).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!