"Just My Type" - January 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
elan

Post by elan »

Martin wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:56 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:43 pm DASH is also a symbol on the same row on the keyboard as ^, %, @ and *.

That's why it's the answer.
That's a hyphen. There's no dash, neither emdash nor endash, on the keyboard.
- is the minus key
⇧- is _, i.e underscore (like ⇧5 is %)
⌥-i is –, i.e. en dash
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

When the infamous PAGEANT puzzle was shown a few days ago (and after I submitted my answer of FONT) I thought - "oh' how like that infamous day". I had seen all the football bowls and the statement that what we were looking for was a competition of sorts and bit on BOWL GAMES. BUT, and I'll argue long and plaintively, FONT did fit ALL of the parameters of this puzzle:

The second part of each of the four two word long answers was a font name, font is a four letter singular noun and a font is certainly TYPE.

So, I was wrong (well, incorrect at least) but for all the right reasons. I think this one should, like the only other puzzle I remember having two possible answers, be considered for the alternate ( :cry: ). I mean that time the answer was clearly hidden in the clues and an allowance was made for another answer that fit the clues? I mean gosh if there were only 36 FONT answers I'll have a much better chance.

OK, I'm off my knees, picking up my hurt pride and girding myself for the next one, I was doing OK for a while but I'm 50% in the New Year I believe and feeling like I have been given a thorough and exhausting examination by the puzzles - in other words a meta physical!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
spotter

Post by spotter »

Well I didn't even look back at the puzzle after my last comment on here. I was one of the few that stayed on the boat this week. Percent was the first thing I noticed, and later on I saw STAR, but didn't really associate the two for whatever reason. I didn't know Caret was the spelling for ^. I got too fixated on four letter singular nouns. TACT or CARE which had TAFT and CARP in the puzzle, CENT which didn't get me anywhere except looking at COIF instead of COIN which always felt like a stretch, SIGN and GNAT (so close to At Sign!!!) and STAR had STAY in the puzzle as well.

Other things that misled me - SUPER and SUER, 'TIPE' in centipede (for just my type), ASHE and ASH.

Oh well, there's always next week. my 2/3 solve rate took a hit the last two weeks.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

You have just described exactly what happened with me. I never saw the right answer either... Always next week.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

elan wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:59 am
Martin wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:56 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:43 pm DASH is also a symbol on the same row on the keyboard as ^, %, @ and *.

That's why it's the answer.
That's a hyphen. There's no dash, neither emdash nor endash, on the keyboard.
- is the minus key
⇧- is _, i.e underscore (like ⇧5 is %)
⌥-i is –, i.e. en dash
So is a minus different from an en dash?
Cynthia
boharr

Post by boharr »

Does everyone call the * symbol a "star"? I only know it as an asterisk. Too long in the newspaper biz maybe.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I call * an asterisk and the caret the proofreading symbol for inserting a missing word, symbol or phrase. Just not up to date I guess...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Nlobb wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:14 am I call * an asterisk and the caret the proofreading symbol for inserting a missing word, symbol or phrase. Just not up to date I guess...
I'm still resisting the Oxford comma, still putting two spaces after a period, and still not accepting the "singular they," so I guess I'm not up to date either (okay, so maybe I do sometimes put the comma before the last term, as I just did in my "still" list).
Hector

Post by Hector »

Yeah, I recently ran across these singular theys. Looking for the guy's email address to tell him what for.
There's not a man I meet but doth salute me
As if I were their well-acquainted friend.

Now leaden slumber with life's strength doth fight;
And every one to rest themselves betake,
Save thieves, and cares, and troubled minds, that wake.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

the "singular they" is one that I have trouble with, and we have a trans-daughter who wants us to use "she/her/hers" OR "they/their/theirs".

She points to Shakespeare and Austen to support the singular they, but fails to see that each time they (plural) use they (singular), it's in reference to a single individual of unknown gender. As in Hector's quotes, above - unknown gender, even though "man" is used to reference the "human being" in question.

It's not the world we grew up in, and mostly that's for the better, so my wife and I are doing what we can to support her.

The past 12-16 months have been ... interesting.

And she's 31 years old and very tall/large, so it's ... it's difficult.

If we as a society can figure some way to use a non-gendered pronoun in all cases, it would really be a good thing. She flinches when someone says "sir" to her. As though she'd been physically struck.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

MajordomoTom wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:28 pm If we as a society can figure some way to use a non-gendered pronoun in all cases, it would really be a good thing.
YES. I struggle with 'they' as a singular, but am trying to adapt. Full support for your daughter.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

thx.

I saw something recently that while we struggle, the German language is even worse at accommodating this, so it could be worse.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
FISHMAGIK

Post by FISHMAGIK »

What was the answer to this one?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!