"Location Finder" - January 17, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
elan

Post by elan »

Alas. My Packers. Sniff sniff. Even though I suspected it was coming, it still pains me. I've been a Packers fan since the day I was born in Green Bay on a Packers Sunday over 50 years ago.

If you're a 49'er or Chiefs fan...well done. We''re all looking forward to a great game. Your teams are fun to watch!

And may I just quietly hope for a mug to ease my pain?
Ffrohbose

Post by Ffrohbose »

Nope. Not this week.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore. Almost didn’t get there this week.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Submitted what I would call an educated guess.

Can not get it all to work but no harm in trying.
asechres

Post by asechres »

No joy this week
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I am hopelessly lost, I see step one I think but to quote some very bad old movies "watch that first step, it's a doozy!" From the sounds of the posts I need to either find fiends, get the wife's help or have children to get further than I have already. Unfortunately my friends think I am odd for liking these things, my wife echoes their sentiments and could not be bothered and I'd never have kids before the deadline so I may be enjoying the onboard festivities. I'll look once more but I see nothing past the obvious.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

your torture will end in about 8 minutes
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

the deadline has passed
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

so we have 5 themed answers:

INITIALHERE
SECONDPLACE
MIDDLEAGE
CLEANUPTIME
FINALNOTICE

there are two parts to these - the first parts are positioning for the answer, the second parts are to help us find those answers.

Note that the HERE, PLACE, AGE, TIME and NOTICE are ... the start of 5 of the clues.

HERE: He resides in Valhalla - which is ODIN
PLACE: Placenta or Pancreas, e.g., - which is ORGAN
TIME: Timex alternative - which is ROLEX
NOTICE: Not Iceland's Nearest Neighbor, by far - which is QATAR

ODIN
ORGAN
FDA
ROLEX
QATAR

Take those five answers, take the first letter "O", the second letter of the second - the "R", the middle letter of the next - "D" (middle - because we were told 'middle', not 'third'), the fourth letter of the fourth - "E" and the fifth letter of the fifth - "R", and you get:

ORDER

which is a five letter word and was my submission

I tried and tried to force fit "ATLAS" and, for some stupid reason, "NICHE" into the clues and the grid, and failed.  But when I started looking at the clues and the strange wording and realized that "He resides" was "HERE" and "Placenta" and "PLACE" overlapped, I had to keep looking at that.  And finding "Not Iceland" and the others cemented that that was a valid path (or a very strange coincidence which could not be a coincidence).

It took a bit to play with ODIN, ORGAN, FDA, ROLEX and QATAR to get ORDER, but once it fell out, I was pretty sure that it was correct - no anagram needed, it's a five letter word, but I just wish it more neatly fit the "LOCATION FINDER" name of the puzzle.

Very nice construction, Mr. Gaffney!
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Tomorrow is a holiday. We *will* not get the official answer for another 23 hours & 57 minutes.

MLK Holiday 2019 - No Monday Puzzle, Friday CC Solution.gif

*EDITS*
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I also got ORDER. Nice writeup MajordomoTom!
Is cleanup in the fourth theme answer a baseball reference to batting fourth?

It was the "Not Iceland's nearest neighbor, by far" which got me going. The wording of that was so weird. At first I only saw the "ice" part, then an hour later I saw that it was "notice". I'd also noticed time / timex earlier but didn't think much of it. Maybe I was preoccupied on thinking how strange it was to compare it to a Rolex

My biggest rabbit hole was the OREIDA answer and the fact that other 3/4 letter state abbreviations exist. ARI in Arigato. FLA in Inflame. CAL in caldera. IDA (again) as Ida. PENN in Kal Penn. I thought that I was looking for actual locations in the grid. Now that I look back on it, I should have given up on it earlier.
Last edited by Eric Porter on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BethA

Post by BethA »

My recent attempts at cryptics helped tip me off on this one. I started reading the long answers, as if they were cryptic clues, parsing them differently, and came to: FINAL-NOT-ICE. NOT ICE sounded familiar and all kinds of bells started ringing, ding-ding-ding!!! Found the oddly-worded clue for 68A “Not Iceland’s...”, and knew I’d found the right path! Had tried 4 or 5 other things before stumbling onto this path. Enjoyed it!

Ps. Niners are my backup team. It was easy to root for them when I lived in the Bay Area from 1985 - 2001, including the Joe Montana and Steve Young eras. But it was funny - I thought it was weird no one wore their jerseys on game day, like in Pittsburgh!
Last edited by BethA on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:01 am so we have 5 themed answers:

INITIALHERE
SECONDPLACE
MIDDLEAGE
CLEANUPTIME
FINALNOTICE

there are two parts to these - the first parts are positioning for the answer, the second parts are to help us find those answers.

Note that the HERE, PLACE, AGE, TIME and NOTICE are ... the start of 5 of the clues.

HERE: He resides in Valhalla - which is ODIN
PLACE: Placenta or Pancreas, e.g., - which is ORGAN
TIME: Timex alternative - which is ROLEX
NOTICE: Not Iceland's Nearest Neighbor, by far - which is QATAR

ODIN
ORGAN
FDA
ROLEX
QATAR

Take those five answers, take the first letter "O", the second letter of the second - the "R", the middle letter of the next - "D" (middle - because we were told 'middle', not 'third'), the fourth letter of the fourth - "E" and the fifth letter of the fifth - "R", and you get:

ORDER

which is a five letter word and was my submission

I tried and tried to force fit "ATLAS" and, for some stupid reason, "NICHE" into the clues and the grid, and failed.  But when I started looking at the clues and the strange wording and realized that "He resides" was "HERE" and "Placenta" and "PLACE" overlapped, I had to keep looking at that.  And finding "Not Iceland" and the others cemented that that was a valid path (or a very strange coincidence which could not be a coincidence).

It took a bit to play with ODIN, ORGAN, FDA, ROLEX and QATAR to get ORDER, but once it fell out, I was pretty sure that it was correct - no anagram needed, it's a five letter word, but I just wish it more neatly fit the "LOCATION FINDER" name of the puzzle.

Very nice construction, Mr. Gaffney!
Well done Mr. Gaffney and all those who solved this. A definite KAS 5 for me. I took apart the long answers and combed the clues for hints but never saw the path.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yes, "cleanup" is often fourth in an order, but not always - usually in NL ball, not always in AL ball.

and it's a very rough direction to "#4" in the word, but ... it works.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, not if I had had three weeks. I guess I am not yet morphed into a META solver (would that be a metamorphosis?). I did notice the odd "Not Iceland..." but it did not click, and lets face it DERP is just as weird an answer and had nothing to do with it. What I find amusing was that I was going to submit ORDER based solely on my initial reading and seeing what was a batting ORDER (yes there was no lead off, but CLEANUP was enough to make me go there). I didn't do that because, well because that was not solving that was a good educated guess and I'd feel bad if it got the mug while someone who was clever enough did not get it. So, I'll applaud the solvers, applaud the construction and not feel overly bad because for me this was a 5 and I'd never have solved it.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Inca

Post by Inca »

I strongly suspected that the clues were involved and that was just one reason that I wasn't enthusiastic about this meta (just my own preference...not a judgemental statement). But even if I decided to go looking at the clues, I doubt I would have seen those beginnings nor taken them through the next step. Hope one of you brilliant solvers win the mug!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:03 am Tomorrow is a holiday. We *will* not get the official answer for another 23 hours & 57 minutes.

MLK Holiday 2019 - No Monday Puzzle, Friday CC Solution.gif

*EDITS*
Curious minds want to know: How do you have the listing with the name of the Tuesday crossword?
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I was able to get the answer with the aid of a few “nudges” but thank you Eric Porter for the one that put me over the top. I had the INITIAL, SECOND, MIDDLE, etc, and I knew I had to do something with the second word of each themer. But I just needed to discern the awkwardly (doesn’t the word “awkward” look awkward in itself)? worded clues to arrive at the meta.
Softie

Post by Softie »

Ugh, I had a hunch the Timex clue was involved but I was never going to NOTICE the overlap with the others.
elan

Post by elan »

Thanks for the writeup! I had INITIAL, SECOND, MIDDLE, and FINAL but took way too long (two days!) to understand CLEANUP until a random family conversation today when I was reminded of the baseball meaning.

So even with ORD_R, and seeing the E in the appropriate fourth position of ROLEX... I didn't think it was a sure thing on Thursday because normally when I find my way ashore everything falls into perfect ORDER. But every other rabbit hole was much worse.

My mind was too much on football (alas, my still-pained heart) and not on baseball. Maybe a FOURTH down clue would've been appropriate this weekend?

Such a fun puzzle though!

See you all next week.

By the way... my split-second thoughts from reading the title were: ATLAS or GLOBE. Fortunately, I quickly realized neither was going to work. This was a tough match to the title!
Last edited by elan on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.