"Location Finder" - January 17, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I thought I had a good answer with Atlas. Better luck next time... By the way I think order works well for location finder (unless you are my husband trying to find the location of an object in our "orderly" house)! Nlobb
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Nlobb wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:41 pm I thought I had a good answer with Atlas. Better luck next time... By the way I think order works well for location finder (unless you are my husband trying to find the location of an object in our "orderly" house)! Nlobb
Have you been talking to my wife? :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm just glad we spent the last two pages here discussing the correct answer ...

:)
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:26 pm If nothing else, this contest had the longest writeup I have seen in the paper.

Here is the writeup (with the line spacing as in the paper)
The contest answer is ORDER. The letters of the
second word of each theme answer begin a clue":
HERE begins 56-Across, PLACE 69-Across, AGE
19-Across, TIME 14-Across and Notice 68-Across.
Take the letter of each of those answers indicated
by the first word of the corresponding theme
answer to get the contest answer: the INITIAL
letter of Odin, the SECOND of ORGAN, the MIDDLE
of FDA, the CLEANUP (fourth, as in baseball)
position of ROLEX and the FINAL of QATAR.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

20200121ziggy.png
I couldn't resist posting this, from today's comics page.
Cynthia
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

This was a tough one! Your faithful correspondent was duly stumped. (That odd "Not Iceland's nearest neighbor" clue should have been the tipoff.) So were many of you: We had 829 responses, only about 52% accurate.

A large turnout for IDEAL (78), which, as some solvers noted, contains (rearranged) the first letter of the first theme answer, the second of the second, etc. Also ATLAS (45), SONAR (14), GLOBE (7) and many many others.

Congrats to this week's winner, Tim Tebbe of Shoreview, Minn.!
xivxav

Post by xivxav »

Took a break 2-hour from MIT mystery hunt to try to keep the my streak alive... with no luck at all. I was so sure at one point that the "Not iceland" clue was terrible enough it had to be part of the extraction, but I never found the connection and went down many, many, many rabbit holes after that.

But, credit to Matt for another good one. Whether you got it or not, if it makes you slap your forehead and say "I definitely should have gotten that", it's a good one.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

xivxav wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 pm Whether you got it or not, if it makes you slap your forehead and say "I definitely should have gotten that", it's a good one.
That puzzle didn't make me say that, though...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

ORDER, ORDER IN THE COURT
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.