"Third Time's The Charm" - January 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:21 pm
Hidden in 3D wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 am
DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:16 am Cruise director - as mentioned by many before me, thanks for all your work in keeping up on who is and is not coming ashore. If I might ask, how many muggles are there? Obviously there are a LOT of participants, but I doubt they are all member of the Muggles.
DrTom:

Our great Cruise Director Bob told me on 11/18/19 that I was the 500th Muggle, but lots of folks have joined our happy group since then! And Meg noticed yesterday (see Introduce Yourself) that this forum has 499 members. See her suggestions for how we should reward the next person to join. :D

P.S. I went so far as to add a personal plea to Mike Miller in my post back to Bob on 11/18 asking if a second mug couldn't be awarded for my milestone. I know - I have no shame...but I want that mug!! :lol:
Sara et all, currently we are at 527 muggles who have posted since I took over from Sally in April 2017. We get about 2-4 a week joining us. Of the 527, only 330 have posted since we created this blog in April 2019.
Well then we obviously need another 423 members - wouldn't that be grand! BUT, I think there needs to be a MUGGLE Cup and an Non-MUGGLE cup (or we can award to a husband and wife MUGGLE team and that would be the MUGGLE Cup COUPLE Mug!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Carla

Post by Carla »

SeanS wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:09 am I may have been the only one still keeping Isaac company this week. Went down the wrong rabbit hole. Couldn't get past the dual appearances of ONE and TWO in the puzzle, and the potential THREE in the top right. Oh well-- we're on to Cincinnati.
I was there with you! Found the 6 pairs of matching words. Just didn’t understand what to do with Third Time’s clue. I went down many rabbit holes!
LesY

Post by LesY »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:12 am
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:54 pm It's always a huge treat to have Patrick Berry, one of the true geniuses of puzzledom, contribute a contest crossword, and this construction was characteristically brilliant. And popular: We had 1850 entries, about 93% correct. 17 of you got quite close with LAUREL. Another 14 guessed AMULET. Also TRIPLE (5) , CINEMA (2), and sundry others.

And as noted above, congrats to this week's winner, a muggle in this group: David Rosenberg of Sherman Oaks, Calif.!
Well glad to see I was not the only one who saw LAUREL (though I followed the usual rules and got ALLURE too which fit the theme and the mechanism better). I guess all of those folks deserve a HARDY congratulations for getting close.
Didn't see LAUREL - but I did see YANNY.... :)

#StaleInternetSensationReference
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Carla wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:02 pm
SeanS wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:09 am I may have been the only one still keeping Isaac company this week. Went down the wrong rabbit hole. Couldn't get past the dual appearances of ONE and TWO in the puzzle, and the potential THREE in the top right. Oh well-- we're on to Cincinnati.
I was there with you! Found the 6 pairs of matching words. Just didn’t understand what to do with Third Time’s clue. I went down many rabbit holes!
That makes three of us. I would like to think that if I had had time to look at it one more time, I would have found the answer. ...but probably not...