"Who Says?" - January 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Gosh, there are so many people on the shore that maybe I should stay on the boat just to have some room?

NAW, I'm going to the quarterdeck and hopping in the next liberty launch to leave. Maybe I'll get a coffee on shore and dream about drinking it from my Mug? (well I did say dream didn't I?)

Please count me ashore Cruise director
Shore leave.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

Ashore ... having a nice cognac ... very enjoyable
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I am safely on shore.
Softie

Post by Softie »

Grateful for an easy one after the last two weeks made my 2019 end on a whiskey sour note with Isaac. On shore, though I am concerned about a pageant.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Maybe he's planning a nyt style thing this year where each one is more difficult, but through the whole year not just the week? Looking forward to December then...
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

On shore. Indeed, perhaps Matt heard the request from this floating bully pulpit for an increasingly difficult meta as the month goes by? Or perhaps not. 🙋‍♀️
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Sidling up to the bar with Isaac, nursing an adult beverage...

...no, in fact just like every other previous post, quickly on shore. My working theory is that they published the easiest meta of all time to start the new year in order to establish the gross number of people who attempt to solve the meta in a given week, as anyone who attempts it will correctly guess it. That, or Matt constructed the most devious meta ever, in order to identify the one person who didn't fall into the trap.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Woke up earlier this morning in Dallas than I had planned. All 4 kids were with me before departing yesterday by car. I had made plane reservations that have me here until this afternoon.

So as I lie in bed in my hotel room, I decide to tackle the meta. At the end of it, I’m thinking “It can’t be that easy, can it?” I then came over here, and saw lots of comments along the same lines. If it’s a pageant, I’m a victim. I’ll check on Dom’s progress later today. He’s off to a wedding in Indianapolis, so I will miss him when I get back to Nashville tonight.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Wow. Even I'm on shore!
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

Counting myself among the Ashore and Suspicious. Will find out soon enough if we're all passengers on Oceanic Flight 815. W.B. Mason-flavored black coffee's as close as I can get to a Guinness right now unfortunately.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On shore.
Sean

Post by Sean »

On the beach! Hope it's the first of many walks in the sand in 2020.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

So happy to join the party! Love the Gaffney video, ha!
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! (We think!). As with other commenters, it's either this or really a pageant.... but we think we got it!

George and Rita
RedtheRed9

Post by RedtheRed9 »

Just joined the group. First post. Agree that this one seems waayyyy too easy, but count me ashore ( I think that is the correct vernacular :) )
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

RedtheRed9 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:56 am Just joined the group. First post. Agree that this one seems waayyyy too easy, but count me ashore ( I think that is the correct vernacular :) )
Welcome to the land of the muggles. This one will either have many, many on shore or a lot of us on the back of a whale that is about to dive

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

Happy New Year to all. I am onshore but nervous. I don't see a PAGEANT but who knows...
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

I believe I am onshore and not on the back of a whale. Have scuba gear along just in case.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning on a very crowded shore.

First we welcome our two newest muggles: Dan Kravitz on the WSJ page and RedtheRed9 here.

And we have 84 on the shore, very quickly, and Isaac is very lonely on the ship
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

To submit or to torture myself until Sunday night looking for a PAGEANT?... Oh, what the heck, I'm sending in my answer and hoping the contest really is as easy as it seems. Like many others, I used the meta to complete the grid.

On a side note, while watching the YouTube video link that Kay posted, I was laughing loudly enough for my husband to hear me in his office upstairs. He came down and watched for a few seconds over my shoulder. I was about to explain why I was chortling when he said (after seeing the title), "Oh, Matt Gaffney!" and proceeded to head into the kitchen to make his lunch (probably rolling his eyes as he did so). Hey - I was impressed that he even recognized a constructor's name!

You can count me ashore, oh great CD Bob!
Sara