"Who Says?" - January 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Gwert

Post by Gwert »

Greg W on shore. Muggle lurker just posting so Bob can break record.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

I started the puzzle a short while ago. Now all done, on the beach. That was easy. I'm too late to be included in the record book, but better late than never.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

WSJ Solution

20200103 Who Says WSJ Solution.gif

And you muggles were more than gross this week.
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

That sound you hear is 1000 puzzlers exhaling!
Cherrs!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

Wow, that's what I submitted but I was sure there had to be more to it--why these six Ted's, and why in pairs? Based on the "Close Quote" answer I found the other three quotation clues, the answers of which were canit, yknow, and sure, which unscrambled are antic, wonky, and ruse, which I thought were a clue that there was more going on!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I left off the TALKS, as the name of the YouTube channel is simply TED.

:(

EDIT: almost submitted both options, the other with my wife's email, but failed to remember to do so.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

matthewmoravec wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 am Wow, that's what I submitted but I was sure there had to be more to it--why these six Ted's, and why in pairs? Based on the "Close Quote" answer I found the other three quotation clues, the answers of which were canit, yknow, and sure, which unscrambled are antic, wonky, and ruse, which I thought were a clue that there was more going on!
I was also confused by the "Close Quote", but when "Fluid Ounce" had nothing to do with the puzzle either, I ignored it.
Why six Teds? I wondered that myself. That's how many Gaffney was able to fit in the puzzle. It's not like "Five Guys" where it was important.
Why in pairs? Gaffney wanted to make it obvious that they were theme entries, probably.

I was about to start going down some rabbit holes looking for something else, but after reading this forum where everyone said it was easy I stopped doing this crossword puzzle and went back to work.
"Ted Talks" was the first thing I thought of, but I wish Gaffney had used the word "channel" instead of "series". When I realized that the title was in the same form as the answer, I submitted. "Who Says?" -> "Ted Talks".
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MajordomoTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:38 am I left off the TALKS, as the name of the YouTube channel is simply TED.

EDIT: almost submitted both options, the other with my wife's email, but failed to remember to do so.
I did too so we will see what WSJ decides.

I guess technically there is a difference but in Googling both a few minutes ago and not being a TED aficionado, it is hard for me to clarify what the differences are.

Perhaps someone can explain it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:42 am
MajordomoTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:38 am I left off the TALKS, as the name of the YouTube channel is simply TED.

I guess technically there is a difference but in Googling both a few minutes ago and not being a TED aficionado, it is hard for me to clarify what the differences are.

I had the same concern - if you go to the youtube page titled TED you will see TEDx talks and a slew of other TEDs. But no TED TALKS which is what I've heard them called (tho the sound may be muffled by the cave I'm in/rock I'm under). I ended up submitting TED TALKS because that seemed to fit the title of the meta. I added a little note in the email body that I hoped I wouldn't be disqualified on a technicality.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I for one was glad it was not the dreaded "Pageant" puzzle but everyone had me worried! It was relatively easy given some of the ones we have had lately (and that I have missed by a mile) but I actually though that the CLOSEQUOTE was a hint to the answer as opposed to a red herring. After I saw all the TEDS and knowing that a close quote comes at the end of something someone said I immediately exclaimed (loud enough for my wife to say "What"), "TED TALKS" (where Talks of course was a verb not a noun).

As an aside, did you ever have one of those moments when you looked at something and said "hey is that spelled right?" I just did a triple take on Talks which just looks wrong, but is of course correct. My spell check did not flag me, but that has happened before with disastrous consequences, just a commentary on this odd language of ours.

At any rate, I am delighted that I am at 100% for 2020, that is sure to change but I'll enjoy it while I can. Hopefully I'll be able to do this Friday's without an eye patch on since, luckily after I did the puzzle, this weekend I managed to poke myself in the eye with a car door (yep strange I know, but with some effort I managed to accomplish it) and spent Saturday in an Urgent eye-care center. Perhaps Matt will grace me with a Pirate puzzle?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

I never had the chance to log in but for your record count, I too made it to shore and submitted the answer.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

KayW wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:31 am

I had the same concern - if you go to the youtube page titled TED you will see TEDx talks and a slew of other TEDs. But no TED TALKS which is what I've heard them called (tho the sound may be muffled by the cave I'm in/rock I'm under). I ended up submitting TED TALKS because that seemed to fit the title of the meta. I added a little note in the email body that I hoped I wouldn't be disqualified on a technicality.
FWIW, here is the "About" page from the TED youtube channel.

TED youtube About.gif

EDIT(s): If you visit the official TED site, ted.com, nearly everything in its history, who they are, & what they do is dominated by references to "TED Talks".
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:35 am Hopefully I'll be able to do this Friday's without an eye patch on since, luckily after I did the puzzle, this weekend I managed to poke myself in the eye with a car door (yep strange I know, but with some effort I managed to accomplish it) and spent Saturday in an Urgent eye-care center.
Not to poke fun... Well, maybe a little:

DrTom.gif

Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:02 am

TED youtube About.gif

EDIT(s): If you visit the official TED site, ted.com, nearly everything in its history, who they are, & what they do is dominated by references to "TED Talks".
If the title of the channel is "Ted Talks", why does the logo only say "Ted"
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:11 am
DrTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:35 am Hopefully I'll be able to do this Friday's without an eye patch on since, luckily after I did the puzzle, this weekend I managed to poke myself in the eye with a car door (yep strange I know, but with some effort I managed to accomplish it) and spent Saturday in an Urgent eye-care center.

DrTom.gif
EYE Matey!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:19 am If the title of the channel is "Ted Talks", why does the logo only say "Ted"
I would point out that the instructions for the meta asked for "a series you can find on YouTube," not the name of a YouTube channel. I think most people would describe the series in question as "TED Talks," even if the channel/organization is just "TED."
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:19 am
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:02 am

TED youtube About.gif

If the title of the channel is "Ted Talks", why does the logo only say "Ted"
I believe it is the reference to Technology Entertainment Design although I can see why some would have submitted that as the answer but this weeks "Rules" were that the answer was a series you could find on YouTube. It does not ask for the name of the Channel. The Ted Talks are a series of talks on Youtube, and if it was supposed to be TED I'd imagine there would not have been the necessity for 6 different quotes by Teds. Still, in the grander scheme of things I'm sure the WSJ folks will be considerate of the possibility that there might have been two possible answers. I'd take either actually (hint, hint Ye Gods of WSJ mug selection).
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

damefox wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:38 am
Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:19 am If the title of the channel is "Ted Talks", why does the logo only say "Ted"
I would point out that the instructions for the meta asked for "a series you can find on YouTube," not the name of a YouTube channel. I think most people would describe the series in question as "TED Talks," even if the channel/organization is just "TED."
Well we obviously think alike - based on that I would point out that you are probably in serious trouble! Still, I am sure it did not just happen spontaneously and by now you are used to the slings and arrows of thinking like me. Unless of course it is I who is used to the slings and arrows of thinking like you? Sign post up ahead - Twilight Zone..do do do do, do do do do, dah, dah, dah, dah (and if you do not remember or never knew Twilight Zone you are looking at the computer puzzled and saying WHAT???)
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

For all the hand wringing and my own "unsure" anxiety, it turns out the best clue in the grid was 5D!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:11 am

DrTom.gif
OH, and you forgot an important component!
Image3.jpg