"Ringing In the New Year" - December 27, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

So it was Christmas Eve and Rudolph and his wife were settling down by the fire in their dacha in Russia to relax.

And his wife looked out the window and noted, "Rudolph, I think it's starting to snow".

He responded, "no, dear, I think that's rain".

She insisted, "no, Rudy, it's snow, I can see the flakes".

He affirmed, "no, it's rain - I can definitely see the drops, not flakes".

She insisted again, "really, it's far below freezing, it can't be rain, it's snow".

He replied: "Rudolph, the red, knows rain, dear".
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I know it is always easier when you finally solve the meta to see how everything fits together, but I think we are being a bit disingenuous when we are saying how easy this one was or that Mr. Shenk was merciful. I found this DARN hard and it was only by trial and error (and remembering things from some other METAS) that I got all the various steps right. I could have just as easily completely whiffed on this one and I feel it was a 4 at least.

Don't despair all those still sitting on the boat drinking, read over the hints to solving METAS, think about the title and search for other clues. It is not easy but despite what you think you are not incapable of getting to the beach. I was sure I was stumped and then I noticed something that said to me "Hey wait a minute...". That glimmer of an idea proved to be the way home. We are rooting for you, honest!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:07 pm So it was Christmas Eve and Rudolph and his wife were settling down by the fire in their dacha in Russia to relax.

And his wife looked out the window and noted, "Rudolph, I think it's starting to snow".

She insisted again, "really, it's far below freezing, it can't be rain, it's snow".

Ouch; and I say that only because you have told one of my favorite "ooooh" jokes! Seems to me I read it years ago in a magazine that gentlemen swore they looked at only for the articles and the jokes. That if course was a completely different bunny to follow.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:07 pm So it was Christmas Eve and Rudolph and his wife were settling down by the fire in their dacha in Russia to relax.

I know another Russian based one that ends:

"Tour all Ural Laura, too raw Laura lie"

But I doubt that would be acceptable on this forum.
Inca

Post by Inca »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:04 pm A-pear-antly, you do-nought have a response.
Orange you glad I was away for the weekend so I had no thyme to weigh in?
(They say there is no rhyme in the English language for the word 'orange', so I'm glad I could get it in here.)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

It's only a banana, Anna.

apologies to Tom Lehrer.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:56 pm

I know another Russian based one that ends:

"Tour all Ural Laura, too raw Laura lie"

But I doubt that would be acceptable on this forum.
A doctor made it his regular habit to stop off at a bar for a hazelnut
daiquiri on his way home. The bartender knew of his habit, and would
always have the drink waiting at precisely 5:03 p.m. One afternoon, as
the end of the work day approached, the bartender was dismayed to find
that he was out of hazelnut extract. Thinking quickly, he threw
together a daiquiri made with hickory nuts and set it on the bar. The
doctor came in at his regular time, took one sip of the drink and
exclaimed, "This isn't a hazelnut daiquiri!" "No, I'm sorry," replied
the bartender, "it's a hickory daiquiri, doc.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Inca wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:16 am
MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:04 pm A-pear-antly, you do-nought have a response.
(They say there is no rhyme in the English language for the word 'orange', so I'm glad I could get it in here.)
In Peru, a gallant cavalier fished a drowning maiden out of a lake
-- and married her before the Inca was dry.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Inca wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:16 am (They say there is no rhyme in the English language for the word 'orange'.)
Screenshot_20191229-0144541_01.png

Nor Andge
Screenshot_20191229-023818.png
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

my god, what have I done?
Colin

Post by Colin »

It’s getting pretty lonely onboard. I’m worried Isaac may close early tonight...
One world. One planet. One future.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hanging with Isaac, and anticipating ringing in the new year with him.
Meg

Post by Meg »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:51 am my god, what have I done?
It’s a bit late for that, isn’t it?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Didn't think I'd solve the meta this week because I couldn't find a rabbit hole at all. Finally I was able to find it and it quickly led to the solve. Very clever construction this week. Done and done. Good luck Muggles!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Still on the ship. We are up at the lake with houseguests but I keep picking it up and looking hoping that something will jump out at me. I see a couple of rabbit holes, but I can't make anything of them. Leaving for home in a few hours. Maybe something will be revealed on the three hour drive.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I had resigned myself to a mug-less 2019, but suddenly my hope was revived and I still may be "drinking in the new year" from a Meta-mug. D&D.

(Thank you, Joe, for your template. I could have done it without, but it sure made it easier for me.)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Inca wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:16 am
Dick Cavett challenged brilliant Broadway lyricist Stephen Sondheim to find one and he came up with "An orange or / a porringer."
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

LLinNC wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:52 pm As the only crossword fanatic in my family, I am always amazed when one of my children help me solve a meta. Went down a few rabbit holes, then gave the puzzle to my home-from-college son with the command, "Figure this out for me," which he did within two minutes. A celebratory beverage is in order for us both!
WOW! With all the horror stories about higher education that we read in the WSJ, sounds like your son's school is actually teaching something useful: critical thinking skills!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ALS

Post by ALS »

Apparently, I am not seeing what is obvious to most others. Don't even see a paw print.

ALS
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore. I worked the grid on Friday and spent some time on the meta without success then put it away for the weekend. This morning I picked up the paper to throw in the recycling bin and AHA there it was. Nice to finish 2019 with a solve.