"Ringing In the New Year" - December 27, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hector wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:58 pm This seems like a really difficult construction, not that I know much about constructing. For each n from 1 to 10 there has to be an entry naturally associated with n and with the 11-minus-nth letter of NOISEMAKER in position n. That seems like a lot to ask for, but it was done with basically zero artificiality.
My guess is that with the number of words in the grid, you could relatively easily spell out other 10 letter words associated with New Year's. Creating the clues with the appropriate number in each one, I would think would be fairly easy.

That is easy to say but may be more difficult. Maybe I will try it this afternoon since we have sleet/snow/rain/freezing rain northwest of Boston

and I read through your n and 11-n without batting an eyelasth.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

MaineMarge wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 am At first glance I was struck by the NYC related references- Hudson, Apple, Tribeca, SOHO, thinking Times Square countdown. NOGO there.

Early on I always spend a lot of time with the clues, and this time it paid off. I didn’t even try anagramming the resulting 10 first or last letters, as I remembered someone posting that the meta is never an anagram ( almost never?) Luckily I next tried the correct method.
10 stars for you on this one, Mike!

Happy New Year to all you Muggles friends!
And may you never hear, nor utter, any cross words in 2020.
Not to mention TIME and HOUR can be found in 2x2 squares in the lower middle of the grid!
CHEERS!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Thanks Mike, Matt and the occasional guest contributors for a great year of metas. this one made for a great finish to the year.

I failed this time, losing myself in various rabbit holes. One started with the fill-in clues: TOS APAR TEA. Two's a party? I even had NOISEMAKER among my futile backsolve attempts (along with champagne, ball drop and fireworks). I should have remembered those two important meta solving rules: 1.) if you can't find anything in the grid, go back to the clues, and 2.) go back to the clues again.
Jack Sullivan
TrojanMan

Post by TrojanMan »

I thought it was "A Party" because of the words "Apar" and "Tea" were next to each other and had fill in the blank clues.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I got NOISEMAKER but spent time trying to back-fill RESOLUTION (also ten letters) and struggled with FISH TRICKS for a while.

Last I checked, the movie with Richard Gere did not involve a fish.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:43 pm I got NOISEMAKER but spent time trying to back-fill RESOLUTION (also ten letters) and struggled with FISH TRICKS for a while.

Last I checked, the movie with Richard Gere did not involve a fish.
I actually tried to backsolve RESOLUTION because of the central NEUME... i. e. “New Me”.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yes, thanks, that was one thing that made me think RESOLUTION was a possible answer.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

First of all, apologies for a holiday gremlin printing error! Wrong puzzle ran in today's print paper. The correct puzzle is online, so you can see the solution to this (brilliant) contest.

We had 1176 entries, about 80% correct. 33 of you worked with the theme entries' initial letters (sort of) to come up with FIRST KISS. Another 41 submitted TIMES SQUARE or variants (TIMES SQUARE BALL, TIMES SQUARE COUNTDOWN, etc.). Plus another 14 COUNTDOWNS, RESOLUTION (8), TOAST (and variants, 5), among others.

Congratulations to this week's winner: Joel Berghoff of San Rafael, Calif. And a very happy 2020, with solutions to all your puzzles!
Bee

Post by Bee »

Hello all!

It's been a long time since I was here. I'm sorry, but I can't remember how to find the meta solution. It wasn't in this morning's paper. Could someone please guide me?

Thank you,
Bee
Hector

Post by Hector »

Hi Bee,

Here you go:

Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bee wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:58 pm Hello all!

It's been a long time since I was here. I'm sorry, but I can't remember how to find the meta solution. It wasn't in this morning's paper. Could someone please guide me?

Thank you,
Bee
Bee
I am not sure why it was not in today's print edition but the answer was in the PDF on line.

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bee

Post by Bee »

Thank you, Bob and Hector. I *thought* the numbers had something to do with it, but didn't follow that rabbit hole far enough. Oh well, maybe next year.... ;)

Happy New Year, all!
Bee
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:32 pm First of all, apologies for a holiday gremlin printing error! Wrong puzzle ran in today's print paper. The correct puzzle is online, so you can see the solution to this (brilliant) contest.

We had 1176 entries, about 80% correct. 33 of you worked with the theme entries' initial letters (sort of) to come up with FIRST KISS. Another 41 submitted TIMES SQUARE or variants (TIMES SQUARE BALL, TIMES SQUARE COUNTDOWN, etc.). Plus another 14 COUNTDOWNS, RESOLUTION (8), TOAST (and variants, 5), among others.

Congratulations to this week's winner: Joel Berghoff of San Rafael, Calif. And a very happy 2020, with solutions to all your puzzles!
Wow - someone from my city! Congratulations!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hector wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:58 pm This seems like a really difficult construction, not that I know much about constructing. For each n from 1 to 10 there has to be an entry naturally associated with n and with the 11-minus-nth letter of NOISEMAKER in position n. That seems like a lot to ask for, but it was done with basically zero artificiality.
Hector - please do not think I was being snarky with the "math major" comment. I do use math in my profession of course, but I do not think in mathematical constructs so what you said made sense even if I would not have been able to follow it or repeat it if I had seen it outside the context of the puzzle.

Mathematicians impress the heck out of me because I never could seem to grasp the "real number" idea and though I understood the golden rule I did not get the golden ratio. As for numbers in general I never found them amicable, friendly or social and though I have told a fib or two in my time I never told a Fibonacci (though loved it in DaVinci Code!)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I thought perhaps they hadn't wanted to put that Monday print edition puzzle online to avoid traumatizing certain muggles during the holidays. If it ends up online tomorrow evening (as I suspect it will) solve at your own risk. ;)

Does anyone use the WSJ app to solve crosswords? I just installed it on my iPhone, wondering if it would give me a way to see the whole puzzle at once while I'm solving or working on the meta. I can't find the current puzzle anywhere in the app. When I search on "crossword" I get a random selection of older ones, and when I click one of those, I only see an option to get the PDF.
BethA

Post by BethA »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:27 pm I thought perhaps they hadn't wanted to put that Monday print edition puzzle online to avoid traumatizing certain muggles during the holidays. If it ends up online tomorrow evening (as I suspect it will) solve at your own risk. ;)

Does anyone use the WSJ app to solve crosswords? I just installed it on my iPhone, wondering if it would give me a way to see the whole puzzle at once while I'm solving or working on the meta. I can't find the current puzzle anywhere in the app. When I search on "crossword" I get a random selection of older ones, and when I click one of those, I only see an option to get the PDF.
Click on Menu in the upper left, then Crosswords in the lower left, and a list should come up! I use it sometimes, but never for metas! 😀
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I don't have a Menu in the upper left. I've got "Sections" there, and there is no Crosswords on the list of options.

This is just the regular "The Wall Street Journal" app, right? Not something special for puzzles?
BethA

Post by BethA »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:21 pm I don't have a Menu in the upper left. I've got "Sections" there, and there is no Crosswords on the list of options.

This is just the regular "The Wall Street Journal" app, right? Not something special for puzzles?
I think it’s the regular app. Just a big WSJ on the icon on a white background. I’m stumped!

Ps. I’m looking at my iPad though, not iPhone.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:27 pm Does anyone use the WSJ app to solve crosswords? I just installed it on my iPhone, wondering if it would give me a way to see the whole puzzle at once while I'm solving or working on the meta. I can't find the current puzzle anywhere in the app. When I search on "crossword" I get a random selection of older ones, and when I click one of those, I only see an option to get the PDF.
Search on "CROSSWORD CONTEST", which will give you a sorted-by-relevance (whatever that means) list of the latest 13 CC puzzles, or search on a specific title.

Like you, Barbara, I only get links to the PDFs. It seems the phone app doesn't support the solving software.

These results are on an android phone.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, MUGGLES!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

MAKE NOISE
MAKE NOISE
MAKE NOISE