"Ringing In the New Year" - December 27, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Have just arrived in the home port. This 50-A looking very much forward to Tuesday Eve's annual 50-D with his good lady.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Made it ashore. Nice puzzle!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I finally sorted out the comments from the food/pun jokes. Not an easy task but it did bring a smile to me, however the Rudolph and a couple of others, I think I heard last in about fourth grade

With that said, we have 10 on the ship and 84 on the shore. This is one where the veterans will scream that it was a Kas4 and others will claim it was a Kas5 but learn a definite lesson from it.

New to the ship are
colin
ALS
Guy L
and SewYoung - prepping to bore her family during a three hour drive home

and on the shore are
spotter
Meg who was there all along but I missed her because my binoculars from the ship yesterday were fogged
rolias
alan H
Joedbee
Kas
your enlightened Cruise director
Doug C
Beth C
metaAddict
Kris
and Inca

Now make sure that the rain in Boston stops by Tuesday as will be there for First Night
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:16 am
Inca wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:16 am
MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:04 pm A-pear-antly, you do-nought have a response.
Orange you glad I was away for the weekend so I had no thyme to weigh in?
(They say there is no rhyme in the English language for the word 'orange', so I'm glad I could get it in here.)
Dick Cavett challenged brilliant Broadway lyricist Stephen Sondheim to find one and he came up with "An orange or / a porringer."
Well if anyone could do it, it's Stephen Sondheim. From "Into the Woods":

We've no time to sit and dither
While her withers wither with her--
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:51 pm I know it is always easier when you finally solve the meta to see how everything fits together, but I think we are being a bit disingenuous when we are saying how easy this one was or that Mr. Shenk was merciful. I found this DARN hard and it was only by trial and error (and remembering things from some other METAS) that I got all the various steps right. I could have just as easily completely whiffed on this one and I feel it was a 4 at least.

Don't despair all those still sitting on the boat drinking, read over the hints to solving METAS, think about the title and search for other clues. It is not easy but despite what you think you are not incapable of getting to the beach. I was sure I was stumped and then I noticed something that said to me "Hey wait a minute...". That glimmer of an idea proved to be the way home. We are rooting for you, honest!!!
Thanks for the encouragement, I had given up but now will give another look....
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yes, it's worth sharing your work with someone who's not done it, they can sometimes see the path that you've missed.

that's what happened here late Thursday night - once seen, the path is bright and shiny (and 100%), but until you look into the right nooks and crannies (no hints there that I'm aware of), I was frustrated too.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

An intrepid explorer went to visit the island nation of Fer Rey soon after a volcano had erupted. In general everything had fared well except for some minor fissures, potholes and a few burnt areas. The Chief of the Fer Reys, known for his splendid full head of red hair, had unfortunately gotten caught outside during the first wave of volcanic ash and, though not sustaining severe burns, had lost a substantial portion of his mane to the fiery "rain". When asked if this had caused any loss of status or embarrassment all answered:

No, chief has gone from "Scarlet of Haira" to "Fer Rey with the singe on top"!

(aren't you now sorry you read all the way through!) :roll:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

A marine biologist developed a race of genetically engineered dolphins that could live forever if they were fed a steady diet of seagulls.

One day, his supply of the birds ran out so he had to go out and trap some more. On the way back, he spied two lions asleep on the road.

Afraid to wake them, he gingerly stepped over them.

Immediately, he was arrested and charged with -- transporting gulls across sedate lions for immortal porpoises.

(Google the "Mann Act" if you aren't aware of that law)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

A C corporation and an S corporation walk into a bar.

They each take a bar stool and order a round of beers. Then another round.

The S corporation finishes his second beer and excuses himself. He returns.

They have another round or two.

The S corporation finishes those and excuses himself. He returns.

They have another round.

The S corporation finishes that one and excuses himself.

While he's gone, the bartender says "hey, what's with your friend?".

The C corporation says "don't worry, he's a pass-through entity".

NOW AREN'T YOU SORRY?
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

I once told ten puns in hopes of getting a laugh. No pun in ten did.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

did you 55A them?
BobC1547

Post by BobC1547 »

Consider myself an amateur at this, but confident about this one and got the last two. So looking forward to continuing the winning streak in the new year. Happy New Year to all!
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore and headed to the Tiki bar for an ice-cold Kolsch.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

I wasn't able to start this one till yesterday, but swam ashore this morning, and now am lounging on the beach with a seasonal cocktail in hand. This puzzle was so clever and well-constructed. Happy New Year, all, and here's to 2020!
Memay131

Post by Memay131 »

Finally on shore after flubbing the last couple metas. Happy New Year's from Michigan!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:40 pm A C corporation and an S corporation walk into a bar.

They each take a bar stool and order a round of beers. Then another round.

The S corporation finishes his second beer and excuses himself. He returns.

They have another round or two.

The S corporation finishes those and excuses himself. He returns.

They have another round.

The S corporation finishes that one and excuses himself.

While he's gone, the bartender says "hey, what's with your friend?".

The C corporation says "don't worry, he's a pass-through entity".

NOW AREN'T YOU SORRY?
Oh, urine trouble now!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So this dog walks into a bank carrying a small porcelain figurine and approaches the teller, one Patricia Whake, to inquire about obtaining a home loan...

I'm betting there are almost none of you who cannot finish this very old, very "ooooh" pun/joke - am I right?? I mean I will finish it if you want but I'm almost certain several would drive to my house and pummel me. (please don't arrive on an Arabian stallion, I'm afraid of pummel horses!) :twisted:
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

omigosh! just made it to shore. i couldn't see my way for a few days but stuck with it. the puns provided much entertainment while i puzzled along the way.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BobC1547 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:40 pm Consider myself an amateur at this, but confident about this one and got the last two. So looking forward to continuing the winning streak in the new year. Happy New Year to all!
Welcome to the group. Most of us are amateurs and get some and miss others but we keep at it. Good luck winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TrojanMan

Post by TrojanMan »

Came up with a random answer that makes no sense, but I can never get these metas.