"Counting Calories" - December 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

I just made this harder than I needed to, finally found the party!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Finally got back to this and found a way to shore. Happy holidays to all.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TrojanMan wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:51 pm I have no idea how to solve the meta part of this.....
First - welcome to the land of the muggles.

On our Come Aboard page under FAQ community, there is a page with a lot of ways of attacking meta contests. Everyone is different so these are general guidelines. There is also a considerable learning curve so do not be discouraged if it take a while to get the hang of it.

After midnight on Sunday, there are explanations posted both here and in the puzzle in the WSJ. People here will also give you their approach for both right and wrong answers which is also instructive.

Good luck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Jim and Anita wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:51 pm We were close to shore early on but it was a bit too foggy to see the lighthouse. As the fog lifted this morning we found that we had washed up on the beach. On shore for sure. We're enjoying a visit from our son, his wife and our 4 year old granddaughter and wish everyone holiday joy.
Have fun with the granddaughter. They don't stay young for very long and 4 is a great age. (but don't spoil her too much :lol: )
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

welcome - I just discovered these about 8 weeks ago, have been able to solve a few without any assistance (ALSO, GLANDS) and a few with some nudges, and last week's - destroyed me. I had the right mechanism and an answer that worked, but not the answer that MG wanted, so ...

These things are wicked and nasty by design, and ... it feels so good when you figure it out. Even with a nudge or two.

Come by the bar, Isaac will serve you the cold beverage (or hot, if that's your preference) of your choice. I'm buying this round.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

OMG, on shore!
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

Hi all, happy holidays. New poster. Solving/submitting for the last five months or so but never a mug winner! I might be ashore on this one and went ahead and submitted but worried there is a second step (or third, depending on how you'e counting) that I'm missing.
Last edited by maprasad on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I guess I'll be hanging with Isaac for the holidays.

Can't even smell a rabbit right now.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all.

Mele Kalikimaka and Hauʻoli Hanukkah if you're doing the hula at the tiki bar.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

maprasad wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:35 pm Hi all, happy holidays. New poster. Solving/submitting for the last five months or so but never a mug winner! I might be ashore on this one and went ahead and submitted but worried there is a second step (or third, depending on how you'e counting) that I'm missing.
Welcome to our happy clan and happy holidays. We will se in a little over 7 hours if there are those second or third steps

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

at least the answer this week is not PHIL SIMMS nor BART STARR. Last I saw, 34A had retired both of them for the season.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:03 pm at least the answer this week is not PHIL SIMMS nor BART STARR. Last I saw, 34A had retired both of them for the season.
But they were selling Marie Kondo books
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Softie

Post by Softie »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:43 pm I guess I'll be hanging with Isaac for the holidays.

Can't even smell a rabbit right now.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all.

Mele Kalikimaka and Hauʻoli Hanukkah if you're doing the hula at the tiki bar.
Right there with you. Getting a little seasick at this point but at least I have company.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:29 pm I have been making chocolate covered cherries this week and so have two jars of cherry juice left over. Being reluctant to pour it out I am mixing it with ginger ale and vodka. Not a bad little holiday drink and a lovely pinkish/reddish color. Now I just need a name for my drink. I looked on the internet to see if such a drink already had a name and couldn't find it. Sounds like a task for the Muggles. Please help me name my drink.
All I got is Tinsel Tonic. Cheers!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:20 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:03 pm at least the answer this week is not PHIL SIMMS nor BART STARR. Last I saw, 34A had retired both of them for the season.
But they were selling Marie Kondo books
Signed by Yma or Margret?
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I literally came off a cruise ship yesterday. But for this meta, only just now got off the LAS cruise. Made it much harder than it needs to be as the path is related to something I was considering; and a red herring didn't help.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our final count is 25 on the ship and 67 on the shore.

We also have two new Muggles - TrojanMan on the ship and maprased on the shore

New to the ship's bar are ALS and Trojanman

New to the shore are
Jim and Anita
ky-mike
Jennifer
Nalugirl
maprasad
MajorDomoTom
Frank H

and finally guess what time sunrise is tomorrow in Boston - you guessed it 34A. A Matt Gaffney coincidence? I think not.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, with help from my daughter who's visiting for Christmas. (Why didn't I think of the correct tactic sooner?)
Cynthia
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I am on shore, late in the game as usual, and amazed that Matt and Mike (and others) can construct these beauties. Hats off!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thank you all for a year of inspiration, motivation and avoidance of frustration! It helps to know that others are (sometimes) in the same boat!
With Isaac this week - Season’s Greetings to all!
One world. One planet. One future.
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

I struggled with this, but managed to swim to shore just in the St. Nick of time.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah!