"Counting Calories" - December 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

AnnP wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:13 pm Many of you seem to get the solution right after you post that you're at sea so here goes....hey Bob, I'm still on the boat, waiting for inspiration. ;)
We call that "Post Enlightenment".
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Got it finally. Thank you Meta Gods. Now for a good night’s sleep under the stars.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:40 pm Not seeing it at all and I have to go away Sunday so it will be three weeks of no solving. Maybe I had better rethink my META talents.
I’m right there with you Dr T. I was on a roll all summer but things started to go downhill with HORSEPLAY and then the last three weeks have been brutal. I think we’re being punished for saying the metas were getting easier!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Tim, Tom and Tom at the bar
next round's on me

and great Bob Seger quote
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On shore with a slight nudge. Very clever by Mike/Marie
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Colin

Post by Colin »

On board, but not in bar - playing games, reading books and goofing around with my granddaughter. Grid not started, maybe later while she naps. Who am I kidding, I’ll be napping too!
One world. One planet. One future.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Made it to shore! Inspiration came after early Mass. Thoroughly enjoyable grid and meta :)
Hanukkah Sameach 🕎 🔯 Merry Christmas 🎄⛪
And good luck to all on winning the mug 🤞 🍀
jag

Post by jag »

Still officially on the boat. I think I see a pathway, and have guessed an answer that makes sense and is the logical conclusion of that pathway...but am missing some steps in my approach that gets me there. Can't quite make it work...
KayW

Post by KayW »

For those of you having trouble, there are tips that can help you on the Hints for Solving Meta Puzzles FAQ forum .

I know there's a LOT there, so most of it won't pertain to any given puzzle. But when I get stuck, I will reread through that page (that is, when I can get "It's a Small World" out of my head :D ). It helps me with both specific puzzles I'm stuck on and meta-solving in general. Given the plethora of tips there, I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say you will find help in some of the posts there. Of course, if anyone disagrees with me about that being a spoiler, please say so and I will redact this comment post-haste!

And thanks again to all the muggles who contributed to that forum! And all the forums. And Brian and Bob for overseeing all this madness. Happy Holidays and Happy Meta-Solving to all!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

not (enough) of a spoiler, HAHA
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:39 am On shore with a slight nudge. Very clever by Mike/Marie
This week's puzzle was by Matt!
Re: the Poinsettia, I had a glass and you are right, it was delicious AND potent!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore (finally). I must say, AL's comment was spot on. I had the right idea early on but threw up an initial hurdle (mistake) that prevented me from seeing the shortest distance to the finish line (errors of my ways). If it wasn't for the help of a little Christmas Elf, I probably never would have recovered! I feel like a marathon runner who gets a trophy that says 'Participant'.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday muggles

Before we start, on Friday night on the local news, they had a story of a guy driving through the front door of a 34A. After struggling for 24 hours my wife and I laughed and wondered if it was a muggle trying to find something that they were selling so he could solve the meta.

anyway there has been progress to shore and we now have 26 on the ship and 60 on the shore.

New to the ship are:
Ann P
Jean
Nalugirl
Susan H
Natalie
DrTom
and Colin

Making their way to shore are
the Commodore
Joe R
rexthree
WBYonder
Glyn
RDaleHall
MaryCC
garryj
Alan H
Brian M
Janet P
Maine Marge
and your humble cruise director (whose blood pressure is back to normal after the Pats game)

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

huh, I didn't know that 34A offered a drive-in option, I'll head that way now to see if that helps me. I'll count everything on the way, "there and back again".
ALS

Post by ALS »

Firmly planted on a bar stool aboard ship. Perhaps post enlightenment will help.

ALS
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

I have spent three days with Isaac raiding The Stube's private stash.

Doc Bricker says he could sterilize his scalpel with my blood alcohol content.

Better luck, I hope, next week.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

We were close to shore early on but it was a bit too foggy to see the lighthouse. As the fog lifted this morning we found that we had washed up on the beach. On shore for sure. We're enjoying a visit from our son, his wife and our 4 year old granddaughter and wish everyone holiday joy.
TrojanMan

Post by TrojanMan »

I have no idea how to solve the meta part of this.....
Meg

Post by Meg »

CallMeShane wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:37 pm I have spent three days with Isaac raiding The Stube's private stash.

Doc Bricker says he could sterilize his scalpel with my blood alcohol content.

Better luck, I hope, next week.
Ah, Doc Bricker......such a hottie! Btw, post-enlightenment seems to work only when you don’t NEED it to work. So, just sort of pretend to be commenting because you have something of interest to say.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

After a long swim (and help from my wife) I am on shore. Now back to Matt’s other puzzle this week. At least I have another day and a half to solve that one.