"Counting Calories" - December 20, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

I was in the right ball park but was playing the wrong game. Should have bunted but punted instead. My consolation is that the Eagles won.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

MaineMarge wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:42 am My eyes kept going back to the matching RoseRed and SkyBlue at the bottom, which was where I finally saw the 7. Otherwise I was going to Hail Mary with Mellow Yellow to complete that colorful group.
Thanks Matt. Another nice gift to the Muggles.
Yes. Lingering on RoseRed and SkyBlue was my way to the 7 also. I wonder if it was an intentional gift. I'll take it as such, and thanks!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Aaagh! I actually had all the 7 and 11 letter entries written out but in 2 different columns so I never made the connection.

At least I have Bears football. Ugh.

Happy holidays everyone!
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Gaffney got me good with this one...urgh. Thought about 7 from left/down, and 11 left/down. But didn't think about 7 and 11 letter long answers. Duh...
BethA

Post by BethA »

I sent in 3 Musketeers. Thought it seemed more correct because the hint is “something you can buy at 34-Across”, and the actual name of the candy bar uses the number “3” rather than spelling it out. It also seemed nice because the actual store name is “7-Eleven”, so they both follow a number-word format. Felt like it gave me a slight final confirmation click! What can I say, I grew up in a family of sticklers! 😀 Hopefully both ways would be acceptable.

Happy Holidays, MUGgles! Looking forward to another great year of meta-puzzling with you!
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

A Purloined Letter contest this week, deviously hiding in plain sight. We had 903 entries, only about 2/3 correct. A giant vote for SLURPEE (148, including Slurpee Lite, Diet Slurpee, Blue Raspberry Slurpee and other variants). Also 18 for ICEE, 17 for SODA (including No-Cal Soda, citing 40 Across).

Congrats to this week's winner, Patrick Jordan of Ponca City, OK!
And a very happy holiday to all!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:47 am A Purloined Letter contest this week, deviously hiding in plain sight. We had 903 entries, only about 2/3 correct. A giant vote for SLURPEE (148, including Slurpee Lite, Diet Slurpee, Blue Raspberry Slurpee and other variants). Also 18 for ICEE, 17 for SODA (including No-Cal Soda, citing 40 Across).

Congrats to this week's winner, Patrick Jordan of Ponca City, OK!
And a very happy holiday to all!
Right back at you, Mike! Thanks for all you do for the Muggle community!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
juliet

Post by juliet »

xivxav wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:33 pm
If it wasn't already clear, this muggle had way too much time to himself this boxing day. I created a spreadsheet to track all of the millionths of a mug I've (imaginarily) earned each week:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

If you'd like to play along, feel free to add your name to a column of the spreadsheet, and mark what submissions you've gotten right so far (and submitted correctly – no lying!). Make sure to bookmark it so you can continue getting points in future weeks – There's really nothing more satisfying than watching pointless numbers go up.
What a great contribution on a "counting" meta puzzle! I downloaded the spreadsheet and am looking forward to seeing my odds increase with each entry!