"Leftovers" - November 29, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

On shore, needed an extra look this morning to incorporate the final confirming step.
As for turkeys: SPATCHCOCK. Would make a great puzzle answer.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore, my timelier arrival hampered by the multiple desserts attached - temporarily, I pray - to my waist. A fun meta, to be sure ... and a solid vote for "turkey-numbed somnolence" as the unofficial slogan of the holiday. Extended weekend wishes to all, with safe travels for anyone in the storm track.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Oh dear. With Isaac again. I always struggle with this type (numbers in parentheses). Also working this one on my phone instead of paper, which probably isn’t helping.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:58 am if you are brining a turkey, you need a fresh, never-frozen bird. The frozen ones are never completely thawed and it won't work.
Won't work how? I mean plenty of salt got into the meat, that was the problem. How does an unfrozen bird prevent that? I'm not challenging, I just really want to know if there is a physiological or culinary reason. I read that a frozen bird would not take up the brining solution as well though was still better off for the brining, but mine sucked up the solution like a sponge. Is the meat not always really salty after? Thinking about it logically after the fiasco I should have guessed it would be, but perhaps there is some mechanism in an unfrozen bird that limits the absorption or at purges it when cooking?

I think I am going to just go with the bird's natural juices (and a healthy dollop of butter) for next year.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I lack first hand knowledge and was only repeating something I heard earlier this week, so perhaps I should have pushed for a deeper explanation.

These past few years, we've done the lazy thing and purchased a never frozen already smoked turkey. The leftovers are ... fantastic.

EDIT: did a bit of "research" online, many frozen birds are already brined, so that might be part of the issue. See #3 on this list https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne ... yone-makes
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning Muggles. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and safe drive home.

And I want to thank all my muggle friends from the Midwest who are sending us about 12 inches of snow starting Sunday afternoon and going into Tuesday am.

And I want to thank all the Cowboys fans for sending their illness to the Patriots. There are 17 Patriots listed as questionable for the game tomorrow with whatever illness was brought from Dallas

On a positive note, our newest muggle, SeanS, is sitting on the warm sunny shore with his new friends

So far we have 3 on the ship and 70 on the shore and a bunch of us just getting to the contest.

On the ship are Meg, SewYoung and Beth C

Basking on the shore are
Al
damefox
Mike H
Wendy
David K
Les
Chris
Toby
streroto
Beth T
BarbaraK
Jazzvibist
cindy
Frank H
Call Me Shane
Frankie
Mark L
joequavis
DB Miller
Julie O
Jim and Anita
Laura
Eric P
Tony S
Steve B
Bird Lives
Patty
kay
ALS
Janet P
MajorDomoTom
oldjudge
horsesense
eric h
SeanS
Deb F
jeanrosz
ky-mike
Hector
Cynthia J
Beth A
Juliet
Peter L
ImOnToo
Jennifer
WBYonder
Inca
troysail
Heidi
Tina
scooby
Brian
sharkicicles
Ed S
Brian M
Joedbee
Patrick
Susan G
Richard
Doug M
billkatz
RDaleHall
David Wa
leslie
tim1217
DrTom
Glyn
Diane
elan
and Jacksull

Now to get to the contest before the snow flies

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

I finally found the right rabbit hole! Safely ashore, but I was with Isaac so long I almost slid off the bar stool! Good luck Muggles.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:55 pm I lack first hand knowledge and was only repeating something I heard earlier this week, so perhaps I should have pushed for a deeper explanation.

These past few years, we've done the lazy thing and purchased a never frozen already smoked turkey. The leftovers are ... fantastic.

EDIT: did a bit of "research" online, many frozen birds are already brined, so that might be part of the issue. See #3 on this list https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne ... yone-makes
Well, that makes a lot of sense. I did not check to see if it was pre-brined - and I made at least 10 of the 17 other mistakes. I'm keeping that article until next year. Of course I may just keep it to show to the person from whom I buy a never frozen already smoked turkey! Please tell me you live near Jacksonville and have the name of someone close by I can buy it from!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

everything's relative ... Jacksonville, IL, yes, I live in St. Louis, MO, but I see you mean a different Jacksonville.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I finally got some time to work on this and after a few wrong rabbit holes, the answer got squeezed out and I am on the shore. Unfortunately my shore is going to get a bunch of snow so I am dressed for it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore! Now, back to the nap (multiple day tryptophan effect)
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore! Now, back to the nap (multiple day tryptophan effect)
Last edited by Guy on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Bob - Although I hope that my status changes soon, I am still on the boat. 😒
I DO appreciate your confidence in me, however! 😉
Konnie
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Glad to know that I have a couple of other friends still on the ship with me. I had circled some things in my finished grid, so on the theory that I can't see past that to the solution, I have printed a fresh copy. I will fill it in later tonight and hope the solution jumps out at me.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Another double Wild Turkey straight up please Isaac.
One world. One planet. One future.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:49 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:58 am if you are brining a turkey, you need a fresh, never-frozen bird. The frozen ones are never completely thawed and it won't work.
Won't work how? I mean plenty of salt got into the meat, that was the problem. How does an unfrozen bird prevent that? I'm not challenging, I just really want to know if there is a physiological or culinary reason. I read that a frozen bird would not take up the brining solution as well though was still better off for the brining, but mine sucked up the solution like a sponge. Is the meat not always really salty after? Thinking about it logically after the fiasco I should have guessed it would be, but perhaps there is some mechanism in an unfrozen bird that limits the absorption or at purges it when cooking?

I think I am going to just go with the bird's natural juices (and a healthy dollop of butter) for next year.
I put softened butter mixed with sage under the skin, stuff it with cornbread dressing, and put it on my Weber grill. An hour before pulling it off the grill (indirect heat) I baste it with melted butter and sage. Done in 2 1/2 hours. Made it this way for years, comes out great and I've never poisoned anyone!
Heidi
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Yo, Ishaak...Ol’ buddy, ol’ pal... slide me another Makers and soda.
Loosh like imma be here for a while. *hic*
Konnie
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Colin wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:54 pm Another double Wild Turkey straight up please Isaac.
(referring to your signature block) Missing George on the 18th anniversary (yesterday) of his passing . We played "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" in his honor last night...
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:33 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:49 pm

I put softened butter mixed with sage under the skin, stuff it with cornbread dressing, and put it on my Weber grill. An hour before pulling it off the grill (indirect heat) I baste it with melted butter and sage. Done in 2 1/2 hours. Made it this way for years, comes out great and I've never poisoned anyone!
Get a turkey fryer and 3 gallons of peanut oil. If you've cringed at the thought of deep-fried turkey, I can tell you I did the same thing 20 years ago when I first heard about it. But once I 'went there', I've never looked back. There's no breading, so it's not greasy like fried chicken. When the bird hits that 350 degree oil, it immediately sears and seals the skin. Total cooking time is 3 1/2 minutes per pound, so 42 minutes for a 12 lb bird. Perfectly juicy on the inside (even all of the white meat) and thin crispy skin on the outside. There's also no seasoning (although some inject a spice mix inside before cooking, but I like to cook it plain).
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

LaceyK wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:27 pm As for turkeys: SPATCHCOCK. Would make a great puzzle answer.
I kept thinking of that word while I was doing tomorrow's Sunday NYT Magazine Spelling Bee.
Jay