"Leftovers" - November 29, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

I'm obviously missing something. Just a couple empty holes so far. Maybe some Hendricks will shed some light. Can't hurt anyway.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Highly recommend Pink Floyd
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

Whew finally ashore. Didn't think I'd make it this time, and I don't even have the excuse of lavish Thanksgiving celebrations.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Thurman8er wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 pm Just home from driving through snow over the southern California grapevine. Grateful for a 7-minute puzzle fill and a 1-minute solve.

Bed now. MGWCC tomorrow.
Hats off if you can solve it. I found it completely opaque. I have no idea what to make of the one or perhaps two anomalies or the seven pitches.
Jay
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Water, water everywhere. Isaac, my usual. Neat, if you please.
Commodore Whisky.jpg
Last edited by Commodore on Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

https://www.thefooddictator.com/legenda ... -stuffing/

If someone already posted the recipe for Morton Thompson's Turkey, forgive me for being repetitive, but this particular turkey recipe is almost as much fun to read as it is to experience the end product (but, trust me, a royal pain to prepare). Someone mailed (yes, I meant "mailed") the recipe to me decades ago. I tried it that Thanksgiving, but never repeated it because of the effort required, even though it was possibly the juiciest and best tasting turkey I have ever eaten, before or since. Anyone else familiar with it?
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

I'm obviously missing something too. Got a late start but no excuse. I just don't see the path to shore yet.
Make some room at the bar please.
elan

Post by elan »

I've really enjoyed the turkey talk. In my family, we gave up on turkey years ago and now do Polish sausage with our favorite sides of old: homemade cranberry relish, roasted potatoes, Parker House rolls, balsamic maple onions, pumpkin pie, cran-apple pie, etc etc.

BUT ... the best turkey I ever had, bar none, was a deep fat fried turkey on Guam. I still think of it fondly over a decade later.

Now... after a lot of snow removal from my own eroding beach, and done with the leftovers, I'm kicking back with a Hendricks and looking forward to next week's puzzle & chatter.

Stay safe out there!
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

I have an answer, and it's entirely based on clues from title and themes. I have no mechanism to connect it to the grid, so it's probably wrong, but been out of town and unable to do my usual paper-grid method until tonight. The last bit has not been fruitful, but I gave my answer, so again, I find myself shopping for a nice beachside warren, but I'm definitely hanging with Isaac. Keep 'em light, sir; I have to work tomorrow.

As per suggestions in previous thread, I'm going to start a hints thread over in the lounge. If the posters would be so kind as to specify the level of hint, well before the hinting, that would be great. Bob and other mods, can we active the and BBCode tabs so that such things can be hidden? That way our successful Muggles can offer different levels of hints without compromising those who wish not to see the whole thing.

Edit: the curious and helpful can click [url=forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=238]here[/url} (erm, it's not supposed to look like that, but the link works, so...)
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Even at this late hour I have nothing! For statistics, still aboard ship. I find these with parenthetical numerals particularly puzzling!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 9 on the ship and 86 on the shore

Since noon Scott M, Commodore and rexthree have made their way to the ship's bar

and Jimmyjam, 31 Down, Debbie, Jeremy and Devilbunny have made their way to the shore.

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

So far I have nothing except bunnies and Isaac.

EDIT: As happens so often, no sooner did I post that I had given up hope than I suddenly saw the festive lights guiding me to the tiki bar. On shore!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

It took longer than it should have. I had to think like a Mike Shenk puzzle. Then I found my first hint and was off to shore like Mark Spitz!
MJD_NY

Post by MJD_NY »

On shore late this week.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

From the Monday puzzle:

The contest answer is NEW DIETS. If you drop one
letter from each word of the four leftovers and
rearrange the remaining letters, you can get
another answer in the grid (LIMA/LAM, BEANS/
NABS, WHITE/I THE, MEAT/MAE, CANDIED/
CANDID, YAMS/AMY, CREAMED/RACEME, CORN/
ORC). The dropped letters, in the order given by the
parenthetical numbers, spell the contest answer.

Completely missed the connections. First time on the boat in a couple months. Time to start a new streak this week.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
BethA

Post by BethA »

NEW DIETS

It took me a day to shake off using the numbers in parentheses as indices into the theme answers, which led nowhere. They were only to be used as ways to put the letters in order. Finally realized that there were no repeated numbers! Candied and candid helped me a lot!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

This was distinctly one of those โ€œIโ€™ll be darnedโ€ puzzles. Soon after I entered CANDID before CANDIEDYAMS but was almost immediately stuck by the closeness of their spelling and now having done a bunch of METAS said โ€œhey wait a minute, that seems like too much a coincidence.โ€

Then I saw LIMA and LAM and knew I was on the right bunny trial. So, I went through looking for words from the clues that were one off. I had a difficult time with YAMS until my eye caught AMY, but NABS, ITHE and RACEME (that was such an odd and rarely used word that I knew it had to figure in there somewhere). So I was left with MEAT and CORN, and there is where I went astray. My search found candidates that fit the bill RECON and MATTE so I set to work. I wasnโ€™t sure what the numbers in parentheses meant but since there were two words to each answer I tumbled to the idea that one letter of each word must be the key, and then LEFTOVERS was the final push. Whatever letters were left over had to be what I was looking for and the numbers meant their order in the answer. MATTE was OK because there was a letter left over and it was T, but RECON gave me fits because the leftover was E???

Putting them all together in the numbered order yielded EEW DIETS and, though indeed that is my general feeling about diets, I could not fathom that being the answer when NEW DIETS obviously made more sense. Besides, the solving method mean I had to sometimes use a leftover letter from the clue word and sometimes from the anagram word and that was soooo "unMIkelikeโ€. I struggled with that for some time until I happened to see the ugly face or an ORC (in this instance rendered beautiful) which gave me my N for NEW DIETS. But wait a minute, I still had to use a varied solving method for one word, that seemed even odder?

It was not until I went back and looked at the puzzle that I saw my giant mistake, when doing 5 down I remembered back to my own attempt to get into grad school and I had to take the GREs. Because there were no GMATS then. I had started to fill in GR and unfortunately having seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof so very long ago, and living in the South where RAE is certainly as common as MAE it did not look odd to me. But finally I figured that GRATS was incorrect , tried to stuff my professional bias in there and make it GCATS (CAE โ€“ naw) and finally gave up an Googled the โ€œCat onโ€ฆRoofโ€.

So, I had the right answer but got to it in a rather circuitous fashion. Plus Iโ€™d have to give credit (maybe WSJ would not but I would) to EEW DIETS.

A very fun and, for me, difficult META and a lot of great turkey ideas (by the way the Thompson Turkey sounds WONDERFUL and if I ever cook for 6 or more I am going to try it, but for 2-3 it is not worth the hassle) from my Muggle Comrades
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Jazzvibist wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:41 pm https://www.thefooddictator.com/legenda ... -stuffing/

If someone already posted the recipe for Morton Thompson's Turkey, forgive me for being repetitive, but this particular turkey recipe is almost as much fun to read as it is to experience the end product (but, trust me, a royal pain to prepare). Someone mailed (yes, I meant "mailed") the recipe to me decades ago. I tried it that Thanksgiving, but never repeated it because of the effort required, even though it was possibly the juiciest and best tasting turkey I have ever eaten, before or since. Anyone else familiar with it?
Remove battery from smoke detectorโ€”lol
Colin

Post by Colin »

I was too hung up on the numbers being coordinates! Nice one and congrats to solvers.
One world. One planet. One future.