"Leftovers" - November 29, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:31 pm KS, they're getting closer and closer ... come to me, little mug, please!
If only that helped. Some time ago the mug was won by someone about 30 miles away so I was hopeful but alas......
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:25 pm Congrats to this week's winner: John Haug of Roeland Park, KS!
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:52 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:31 pm KS, they're getting closer and closer ... come to me, little mug, please!
If only that helped. Some time ago the mug was won by someone about 30 miles away so I was hopeful but alas......
So, I shouldn't be encouraged that I had the first two letters and was only one short of the total number of letters in the name? Dang.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

well, that would give you at least one letter towards the answer to the mug meta ...
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:16 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:06 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 pm The nuns always told me my bad penmanship would get me in trouble some day.

I'll blame them for not getting the answer.
I blame my bad penmanship on being left handed. I remember in sixth grade having to pass a Zaner Bloser penmanship test using a fountain pen. I had more ink on my left hand and shirt cuff than on the paper. They had three levels of passing and I passed the lowest level - just barely - and probably by the grace of a generous teacher.
Oh the days when penmanship was important! As a wannabe calligrapher and third grade teacher, cursive practice was my favorite part of the school day. I like to think I was more nurturing and supportive than Tom's nuns and that some of my students actually enjoyed those lessons. (And I simply can't believe that those very students will be turning 50 in a couple of years! Yikes!) I post this hoping you will not envision me as a prim and proper school marm with a tight bun on the nape of my neck! And I realize that I only reinforce that image when I tell you how glad I was that a bill was approved in 2013 by NC lawmakers requiring that public schools teach cursive handwriting once again. My children will happily report that their mother is anything but prim and proper. :lol:
Don't know if you've seen it but there's a fun cartoon post it that reads
"Someday old folks will use cursive writing as a Secret Code 😁"
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Actually, that day is already here. Plus we also use punctuation, where it belongs, not just "where I want to use it".

But ... 56 isn't old, is it?
steveb

Post by steveb »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:06 pm Actually, that day is already here. Plus we also use punctuation, where it belongs, not just "where I want to use it".

But ... 56 isn't old, is it?
:lol:
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:06 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 pm The nuns always told me my bad penmanship would get me in trouble some day.

I'll blame them for not getting the answer.
I blame my bad penmanship on being left handed. I remember in sixth grade having to pass a Zaner Bloser penmanship test using a fountain pen. I had more ink on my left hand and shirt cuff than on the paper. They had three levels of passing and I passed the lowest level - just barely - and probably by the grace of a generous teacher.
The other problem (other than smeared ink) with using a fountain pen in the left hand, is that with the split in the nib; the left half of the nib catches on the paper and when it releases it spatters the ink. I know this from personal experience. Being designed for right handed people, it is meant to be pulled along the paper and when writing with the left hand, we are pushing the pen. I think this is the reason I have trouble using mechanical pencils as well. the lead is so thin, it catches like the fountain pen nib.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Quick survey: How many left handers do we have in the Muggles Club?
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

does ambidextrous count?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 pm Quick survey: How many left handers do we have in the Muggles Club?
I am left handed.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:26 pm does ambidextrous count?
Sure. I am sort of ambidextrous. I do a lot of things with either hand and some things exclusively with my right hand. I write and eat with a spoon and fork with my left hand, but during a meal use my right hand to cut with a knife. Although I use my left hand for spreading butter, etc. I did practice printing with my right hand so as not to have to continually put down the fork when eating and working crossword puzzles at the same time.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:48 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:25 pm Congrats to this week's winner: John Haug of Roeland Park, KS!
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:52 pm
So, I shouldn't be encouraged that I had the first two letters and was only one short of the total number of letters in the name? Dang.
Pretty close... but your comment reminded me, a long while back, I REALLY did a double-take, when “Seth Allen of VA” was the winner!! Just a few off from “Beth Albers of PA”. I gasped.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 pm Quick survey: How many left handers do we have in the Muggles Club?
I *was* left handed. Then the nuns got hold of me and forced me to use my right hand. Ergo, bad penmanship.
Rufus T. Firefly
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:25 pm Another challenging contest! Your correspondent (like someone above) also assumed that 23A, "Glutton's Thanksgiving helping" (THIRDS) was a tipoff to look for the third letters... nice head-fake, Mike.

We had 1096 entries, about 80% correct.
The incorrect ones included DIET (32) and many variants: DIETING (8), NEWS DIET (2, so close!), and LOW CARB DIET, GO ON A DIET, BEGIN A DIET, RAW DIETS, and STRICT DIET.

Congrats to this week's winner: John Haug of Roeland Park, KS!
What no EEW DIET! Gosh, it seemed to make so much sense then...granted I did not use that answer but I almost did.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!