"Backdrops" - November 1, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:46 pm Looks like I’m done tiptoeing through the 🌷 in the back garden for this week. On shore. Hope some other Muggles will keep planting those spring bulbs for us. Still have lots of my own to get in the ground - yikes! It’s November already.
Good one Mike/Marie.
I'll be putting in daffodils and crocus this week, Marge. That is, in between trips to the bar and chasing those wascally wabbits!
Count me LAS again.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Phew, finally made it to shore. There was a big red herring in there, or something unintentional that stymied me.
David R

Post by David R »

Quick and easy, did it late last night. It was solve the meta or fall asleep and I solved it just before my eyelids closed.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Always happy when I solve the meta by Friday, when its a 100%-er, and when and I don't have to rev up the search engines. I am very impressed with the construction skills.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:58 am Muggles, did anyone else do Patrick Berry's Variety Puzzle, "Valley of Tears," from Saturday's paper? It was really fun. After reading the instructions I thought, no way, this is impossible -- too many variables! -- but once I got started I managed to figure it out. Highly recommended!
I thought that puzzle was great fun. Took a little bit to get it but once I did, it flew. I always enjoy his puzzles.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:58 am Muggles, did anyone else do Patrick Berry's Variety Puzzle, "Valley of Tears," from Saturday's paper? It was really fun. After reading the instructions I thought, no way, this is impossible -- too many variables! -- but once I got started I managed to figure it out. Highly recommended!
I thought that puzzle was great fun. Took a little bit to get it but once I did, it flew. I always enjoy his puzzles.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

As for this week's--I'm feeling snakebite. This could be the third week in the row that the meta goes over my head. So, for now, LAS.
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖

Could not get started til after lunch today. Flailed around awhile, but finally saw the light!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I've missed a few weeks here and haven't been very successful during them. Just popped in today to report my lack of ability to crack the meta. And figured it out almost immediately. I'm never missing another week.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm on shore! I left it and came back to it probably about six times and finally saw it. I really thought I wasn't going to get this one so I'm excited to be on the beach with everybody else!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On shore, finally! My first idea was closer to the intended method, but before I could really take it all the way I noticed something else that sent me into a series of rabbit holes for a while. Nice misdirection, Mike!
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

I'll second Wendy's recommendation. I really enjoyed it, too!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Greetings, all, from the suddenly shivery Keystone State. (Fear not; a cold Happy Hour beer is still in fashion, dipping temperatures notwithstanding.) It took me a little while, but I made it. Count me ashore ... however belatedly.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done. Two rabbit holes and I went down the wrong one first. Nice misdirection, if intentional.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

4" of rain up here in the Adirondacks did us a trick on Halloween eve. Roads washed away.
Power out all day. But, late in day the juice came back on, and I've done the grid.
Shall enjoy a juicier juice at Isaac's. I'll work on the other 6-D tomorrow.
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

I feel like I’m very, VERY close but am struggling with a couple letters. Should I try to be vague or would someone be willing to nudge me in PMs?

EDIT: Inevitably, as soon as I post something like this, it clicks. Count me ashore, I believe - if only WSJ had a way to track whether I was right or not.

As an aside, is there a place where I can find out who won each week?
Last edited by jakeorjacob on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Erg. Week three with Isaac here. Hopefully I’ll get this one eventually.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore!!!

Whew. I think I battled the same red herring a few others mentioned; should be an interesting discussion on Monday. Clever meta!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Made it to the beach.

Too busy to play last week.

It’s nice to be back.
Jack Sullivan
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

jakeorjacob wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:07 pm As an aside, is there a place where I can find out who won each week?
If you mean a single list with all the winners, not officially, as far as I know. You can look at each Friday's PDF for the previous week's winner:
https://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/category/c ... d-contest/

And someone here tracks data about the winners and has posted the number from each state. I don't remember who or know how much detail he/she has or would be willing to share.