"Backdrops" - November 1, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I got a late start on the puzzle. The grid came pretty quickly, but, for a long time, I drew a complete blank on the meta. Finally, I had the epiphany moment and now I am safely ashore. I don’t feel particularly bright for taking this long, but long is better than never.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Got it. Ashore.

ALS
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Jazzvibist wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:58 pm Ashore (enjoyable solve and, as expected, an ingenious Mike Shenk construction).
When I posted this yesterday, I neglected to mention something that I encountered when I first began solving the meta which, if it had held up, would have constituted (for me) a remarkable frosting on this already impressive cake. If I can remember, I'll post it Monday morning.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Back-stroked ashore.

Looking forward to the extra hour of Guinness on Saturday night!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Muggles, did anyone else do Patrick Berry's Variety Puzzle, "Valley of Tears," from Saturday's paper? It was really fun. After reading the instructions I thought, no way, this is impossible -- too many variables! -- but once I got started I managed to figure it out. Highly recommended!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:58 am Muggles, did anyone else do Patrick Berry's Variety Puzzle, "Valley of Tears," from Saturday's paper? It was really fun. After reading the instructions I thought, no way, this is impossible -- too many variables! -- but once I got started I managed to figure it out. Highly recommended!
I have it printed out but have not started it yet. Had the same thought looking at the instructions. Glad to hear it's not as futile as it sounds.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:58 am Muggles, did anyone else do Patrick Berry's Variety Puzzle, "Valley of Tears," from Saturday's paper? It was really fun. After reading the instructions I thought, no way, this is impossible -- too many variables! -- but once I got started I managed to figure it out. Highly recommended!
I just pulled up the pdf and decided I was not smart enough to attempt it. But after coming here to say so, and reading your post again, I shall go print it out. With any luck, Matt will give us a real Week 1 today, and I'll need some outlet for my puzzling. Thanks for the recommendation!

Update: I had to do lots of erasing, but that was neat! And another good test for these dang contact lenses.
Last edited by FrankieHeck on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KayW

Post by KayW »

LAS.

Singing my same old song - finished the grid, staring blankly with no clue on the meta. I'll hang with Isaac for a while and wait for inspiration.

I chuckled at reminders of two recent metas at 13A and 15D.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Ashore after being adrift for 2 weeks. The tiki bar calleth.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:53 am I got a late start on the puzzle. The grid came pretty quickly, but, for a long time, I drew a complete blank on the meta. Finally, I had the epiphany moment and now I am safely ashore. I don’t feel particularly bright for taking this long, but long is better than never.
"Long" is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. A Friday solve for me is "short." Long would be sometime Sunday.
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm a week or so behind on puzzles, except for the WSJ crossword contest. Lots of trip preparation. I'll get to Patrick's on the plane tomorrow.
Cynthia
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Sorry Isaac, heading to shore. Catch you next week.

Solved, on a very messy page by the time I was done. Spent some time in side rooms of the burrow before finding my way to the Tiki bar.

Patrick Berry always has great puzzles.
Rufus T. Firefly
damefox

Post by damefox »

On shore! I'm surprised by the average difficulty rating on here of only 2 (as of my posting this). I think the mechanism is a little more challenging than that. (It took me longer to see than both of the previous two.) Still, very neat and tidy once it falls into place.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning fellow muggles

Hopefully everyone had a safe Halloween

and for anyone in California near the fires, please be safe

Another challenging contest from Marie/Mike. That is three in a row so I guess the summer ego boost is over

Currently we have four on the ship with Isaac and 41 on the shore.

Good luck to all
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
juliet

Post by juliet »

Ashore as well.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Felling warm sand under my feet which is good because 20 degrees in north central Illinois on November 1st is crazy!!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Got it! Once you see the path, it’s not too bad!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Looks like I’m done tiptoeing through the 🌷 in the back garden for this week. On shore. Hope some other Muggles will keep planting those spring bulbs for us. Still have lots of my own to get in the ground - yikes! It’s November already.
Good one Mike/Marie.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Count me in the shore party despite the stormy weather and high winds in this part of the country.