"Backdrops" - November 1, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

The rules for the WSJ contest are here:
https://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/2016/05/13 ... ial-rules/
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Happily ashore after seeing something that serendipitously led to the answer. Very nicely tied up with a bow. Kudos to Mike.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

The final count is 10 of us on the ship and 82 on the shore.

Good luck to all on the shore winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Sheesh! Well, the summer puzzles were fun, and we had prayed that Mike would continue on that path, but he's clearly gotten back to serious metas!

We took the boat to shore, but we fret that we're heading to the wrong shore -- time will tell! (Usually, when you have it, you know you have it, so we probably don't have it!)

Looking forward to the explanation in a few hours!

Rita and George
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I was up at 4:40 am yesterday morning after one heckuva long work week. My youngest, who has a driver’s license, preferred to have a parent drive him to hockey practice, which started at 6:00. With travel time and time to get dressed, I had to be up at that awful time (for a Saturday). I took my printout of the meta with me, and once he was at the rink, I headed to a nearby Dunkin’ Donuts for coffee and a breakfast sandwich - and a look at the meta.

Inspiration struck! I finally got out of a rabbit hole which had been a black hole, sucking me in every time I decided to have a go at solving it. It fell into place! I grabbed Gabe (without his knowing it) a Boston Cream pie donut and chocolate milk. When he got back to the car, he was thrilled with his breakfast. And I was thrilled to have solved the meta!

But what about Dom? I knew he would get it, but the clock was ticking down on Sunday evening. I encouraged him without offering hints (other than the generic “think about the title”). And within minutes, he had solved it too! So my son and I are on shore (but I got there first this week 😉).
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

thx, I struggled in the surf, but managed to get onto dry land (with a helpful hint)

and ... just because someone gave me a hint, doesn't mean (a) it was a good one or (b) that I understood it correctly. So ... I still had to do a fair amount of work on this one.

(takes a bow and exits)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
JimmyJam

Post by JimmyJam »

On shore!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Lost at sea, hoping for post-enlightenment.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

We have a rule against posting spoilers or hints because many people read the forum before completing the meta and we don't want to ruin their solving experience. This was also the rule at the original WSJ blog, and we have carried it over here.

Collaboration is not prohibited or even discouraged, as long as it is done privately in email or Private Message.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

The use of collaboration is acknowledged and tacitly permitted on the MGWCC, so long as you indicate that you did a non-solo solve. I see no issue with accepting a nudge so long as you give a hat tip to the nudger if you intend to trumpet your success.
Alas, I’m still with Isaac, with the meta alongside my margarita.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I had solved the meta 14 weeks in a row, and then last week and this week my little boat was swept way out to sea, with the shore totally out of sight. Perhaps I need another drink.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the beach. Post-enlightenment strikes again!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well Isaac, it is you, I and a few others left here. Pour me nice G&T, Fevertree Elderflower tonic please. I need refreshing.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I fell asleep and woke up at 11:50 and figured it out at 12:01
One minute too late
STAGE
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

that's what I got also, and gave back a hint in my response (above) about "taking a bow and exiting".
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Green Flash the last word backwards is Half if you drop the S
Teaser Rate the last word backwards is Ear if you drop the T
Tax Year the last word backwards is Rey if you drop the A
Los Angeles the last word backwards is Selena if you drop the G
Ham Omelets the last word backwards is St Elmo if you drop the E
Half, Ear, Rey, Selena, and St Elmo are other answers in the puzzle leaving STAGE
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I was temporarily in a pickle because I went with "Rex" for the king, when that was Latin, not Spanish. Once I realized that error, I was good.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:13 pm The final count is 10 of us on the ship and 82 on the shore.
Make that 11 please Bob. I’m that guy in the dark corner of the bar trying to look intelligent but not really pulling it off.
One world. One planet. One future.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

WSJ Solution in Monday crossword's PDF:

20191101 BACKDROPS WSJ Solve.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, fantastic construction. I can safely say I was not even close so I don't feel as bad as if I had been on the right track and just missed the signs. I got all caught up in something being a backdrop for something else. What bunny holed me forever was LOSANGELES and right below it LAPDESK. Certainly I thought, Los Angeles is the background for the LAPD and then looked and looked fo rthe other confirmations. Then I got caught up in the fact that you could spell most of the clue words with letters very nearby in other squares, but I could not get a single mechanism to make it all work. I looked at SELENA several times but never thought that it was almost ANGELES nor did I see the OMELETS and STELMO - DRAT, well guess i have to start a new streak. Each time I miss I learn something to tuck away in my solving banks for the future. Now I just hope I remember the "tricks"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!