"Take A Number" - October 25, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore, after comments should be interesting!
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Finally got to the puzzle today -- loved the meta this week -- count me ashore and happy about it.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Dom beat me to shore easily. He prodded me a bit to keep me on track and I ultimately made it as well. I will take it after a very busy week at work. Also, it’s my 29th anniversary today (well, my wife’s too!).
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

pddigi wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:28 pm Dom beat me to shore easily. He prodded me a bit to keep me on track and I ultimately made it as well. I will take it after a very busy week at work. Also, it’s my 29th anniversary today (well, my wife’s too!).
Happy Anniversary! (Heidi)
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 16 on the ship (good number for four bridge tables for the week) and 78 on the shore

Making their way to the shore since lunchtime are
Frank
David K
Bunella
Jeremy
Bird Lives
Guy L
tony S
Paul D
Domenic

Good luck to all winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Finally ashore with a little help from a friend. I was stuck in the correct rabbit hole but the little guy wanted to come out the back door, not the way I was pulling him. Back to the stern garden next Thursday with Janet P and other helpers.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Well, for the first time in a few weeks, the entire weekend is being spent with Isaac! Oh well, he's a pretty good joke teller, at least!

Pour me another long one, Isaac!

George and Rita
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Any guesses on the Under/Over? I'm going with 600.
Jay
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Lost at sea with only solving online and no printer access. Quick grid solve but the meta has been hard to find. Lots of ideas and chicken scratch on a note pad. Will be interested to see the result tomorrow.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I’m where I was before, lost. Solved the grid, check-found the “gimmick”, check-highlighted and redid, check-even see what I feel MUST be a hint.... This is so frustrating because I know I’m going to be so mad at myself come midnight.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Inca

Post by Inca »

With a bit over one and half hours left, I just realized that I never sent in my answer...I would have been really upset if I had forgotten
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Inca wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:35 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:06 pm AARRGGHH! I got through the grid no problem, I struggled through the theme answers with initial difficulty until I saw the light, but the last step WOW??? I am getting nothing that makes any sense, or at least nothing I don't have to interpret. I know that interpreting what is meant in the past has gotten me into real trouble so I am sitting at the bar ruminating and pulling my hair out (well that is rather figurative speech at this point but if I had any I would!). I'm following the usual association of numbers of theme answers with letters in answer but I cannot make them work at all.

I am wondering what this miraculous grid that was developed is? I have seen reference to it twice but nothing anywhere to tell me where to get it. I am grasping at straws here. I can't even find the kid whose raft I stole last week...selfish little devil.
If you are referring to the template that Joe Ross shared, it is Post #51 on Come Aboard > FAQs - Community (and quoted below.) I love Excel and redoing the puzzle by filling in the grid a second time and then being able to highlight/erase highlights and write comments....all neatly and quickly without printing did the trick for me.
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:12 pm Link to Friday, 10-25-19, TAKE A NUMBER WSJ Crossword Contest

Good luck, muggles!
Wow - a tad complex but brilliant! I have used Adobe Acrobat to turn the pdf to a “fillable” pdf, but then you have to print the filled pdf so you can go back into adobe and highlight. I’ll have to try this.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

Last minute inspiration! Got stuck at the 80%; then got the 20%; then almost sent in the wrong answer even tho it didn't make sense; almost sent in a second wrong answer bcause it made some sense; finally got to what I think is the right answer. For me, a difficult puzzle. But fun as always.
jhcogan

Post by jhcogan »

Started & finished grid this morning.
Could not get the meta this time.
Maybe next week :-)
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

Submitted an answer but I don't think it's right, I can't quite make the final connection.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bad news - still in bar with Isaac.
Good news - still in bar with Isaac!
One world. One planet. One future.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20191026 Take A Number Solve.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I’ll be a son of a gun! I had it all along, I just made one error of conclusion. However minutes before the deadline I sent in IN TWO because I kept getting INTNO and it frustrated the heck out of me. I thought IN TWO for a day now but did not see that my assumption of DUBYA as BUSH TWO ( I mean he was the second Bush) was in error. But IN TWO was too attractive, fi the title too well and described the division. Hmmm-trust the force Luke!!!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Neither the WSJ Monday pdf nor crossword fiend spells out plainly enough for me why IN TWO ties back to the hint/answer. Is it because part is a word and part is a number? Like catch-22? I got it but didn’t feel a real solid CLICK!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

BethA wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:11 am Neither the WSJ Monday pdf nor crossword fiend spells out plainly enough for me why IN TWO ties back to the hint/answer. Is it because part is a word and part is a number? Like catch-22? I got it but didn’t feel a real solid CLICK!
Beth-I thought the “In Two” might be the fact that there are two answers for each theme clue. I agree that it didn’t click like some answers do, but it was a clever puzzle.