"Go With The Flow" - October 11, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Got it! Phew!
bunella

Post by bunella »

Just really dense today. Finally onshore with help from an inner tube. And yes, I have the pretzels. rofl
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got it. Nice meta. More on Monday.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

bunella wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:59 pm Just really dense today. Finally onshore with help from an inner tube. And yes, I have the pretzels. rofl
About time. You are lucky that we have plenty of (insert food answer here). LOL
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Guinness. Pretty in plastic. Prettier on the tongue.

gUINESS IN pLASTIC.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

Made it to shore yesterday and forgot to post. Fun puzzle.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I was worried for a bit, seeing how it seemed so easy for many. But finally got it and now on shore.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Got it! Hung out with Isaac a bit. I had the answer without having the full meta, so I was unsure. Finally figured out what was missing. I liked this one.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, everybody feels it is so easy and are so sure. I got nothing! I'll go back a few times of course but I am not seeing anything that even remotely looks like a path, even a bunny path. Well, although I am usually against it I'll Google to see if it helps. Obviously my current knowledge set isn't enough.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oops, no sooner uttered than proven wrong - dang if that is not often my story...

Anyway, perused one more time, saw something that looked kind of suspicious but relevant and found more of relevant's relatives that really related the realty of my realization - ASHORE. Now I'll get my R's out of here.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh, and I admit I had to use Google to confirm my suspicions. Thanks Mr. G
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Sad to say, I am still on the ship. Been out of town and very busy and not sure what I did with the completed puzzle. When I find it I will look it over again and hope for post enlightenment in time to submit the answer.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

An early Sunday report as we will be out all day

We have 4 on the ship and 102 on the shore

Sew Young joined the group on the ship

and joining the shore party are
Lacangah
Nalugirl
Geoduck
Bunella
Stukmn
Orsys
Olaf
DrTom
ErikThor
and susan G

Final report later tonight
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

And I have to give a shout out to my husband. I was looking for the second step to help justify the answer. - he found it and that confirmed it for me!
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

Just got back from a week of golfing and fishing in Florida so this week's contest was a welcome change of pace. A quick solve and a refreshing swim to shore for a pina colada and meditation on the meaning of life.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Sorry this is off topic. I checked the Cryptic section of this board, and didn’t see anything about it. I made the mistake of trying the Oct 5 Shifty Business cryptic, and now reading the comments on the wsj site, appears I’ve again picked a more challenging one, for a novice.

Can anyone tell me if the solution is available online? All I see are mentions that it’s in the print edition of yesterday’s wsj. Thanks!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BethA wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:38 pm Sorry this is off topic. I checked the Cryptic section of this board, and didn’t see anything about it. I made the mistake of trying the Oct 5 Shifty Business cryptic, and now reading the comments on the wsj site, appears I’ve again picked a more challenging one, for a novice.

Can anyone tell me if the solution is available online? All I see are mentions that it’s in the print edition of yesterday’s wsj. Thanks!
This doesn't answer your question re: online solution, but here is the print edition solution:

shifty biz.gif
Apologies for the horrible focus!

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
BethA

Post by BethA »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:46 pm
BethA wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:38 pm Sorry this is off topic. I checked the Cryptic section of this board, and didn’t see anything about it. I made the mistake of trying the Oct 5 Shifty Business cryptic, and now reading the comments on the wsj site, appears I’ve again picked a more challenging one, for a novice.

This doesn't answer your question re: online solution, but here is the print edition solution:

shifty biz.gif

Apologies for the horrible focus!
Thanks, Joe! That’s still a big help!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BethA wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 pm Thanks, Joe! That’s still a big help!

You're welcome, Beth! It seems that the solutions for the WSJ Saturday Puzzles are only published in print. If you wish, I can post each week's solution to the Non-Meta Crosswords & Other Puzzles.

Don't hesitate to remind me to post the solutions.

How'bout them BEARCATS?

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
BethA

Post by BethA »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:21 pm
BethA wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 pm Thanks, Joe! That’s still a big help!

You're welcome, Beth! It seems that the solutions for the WSJ Saturday Puzzles are only published in print. If you wish, I can post each week's solution to the Non-Meta Crosswords & Other Puzzles.

Don't hesitate to remind me to post the solutions.

How'bout them BEARCATS?
Thanks, but I don’t need to add to your weekly chores. I usually solve all the other variety puzzle types except the cryptic Cox/Rathvon. I’m slowly initiating myself into the cryptics!

Just saw the Bearcats moved up to #21 this week! Great! I showed my Bearcat pride at the Monaca 5K yesterday! Sorry this is my first attempt to post a picture 😀
6706843C-2FB0-4908-ABC5-17E523453D9E.jpeg