"Go With The Flow" - October 11, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

BethA - Nice racing. You're so fast, like a blurrrrr!
After many successful 5Ks, I ran my first half-marathon yesterday in Lake Placid. Beautiful, beautiful course. Start on the Olympic oval, run through town, around Mirror Lake, out to the ski jumps and under Whiteface Mt. Fantastic scenery in the Adirondack mountains that are brilliant with fall color. Sore legs today, but not so bad that I couldn't row to the beach for complete recovery at the Tiki Bar.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BethA wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:50 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:21 pm
BethA wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 pm Thanks, Joe! That’s still a big help!

You're welcome, Beth! It seems that the solutions for the WSJ Saturday Puzzles are only published in print. If you wish, I can post each week's solution to the Non-Meta Crosswords & Other Puzzles.

Don't hesitate to remind me to post the solutions.

How'bout them BEARCATS?
Thanks, but I don’t need to add to your weekly chores. I usually solve all the other variety puzzle types except the cryptic Cox/Rathvon. I’m slowly initiating myself into the cryptics!

Just saw the Bearcats moved up to #21 this week! Great! I showed my Bearcat pride at the Monaca 5K yesterday! Sorry this is my first attempt to post a picture 😀

6706843C-2FB0-4908-ABC5-17E523453D9E.jpeg
How do you post a picture in the comments?

And what was your time?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

Ashore, fun meta!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:57 pm
Bob,

BrianMac has an excellent post here for posting photos. He has great tips for sizing photos correctly.

Instead of Quick Reply, be sure that you click on Full Editor & Preview.

Click on Attachments tab below the text box. Add files & follow the yellow brick road to the photo you want to post.

Select the place in the message where you wish the photo to appear, then click on Place inline next to the uploaded photo.

TIP: Allow two blank rows before & after the photo name that will appear within your message box. This will give one blank row between your photo & the preceding & following lines of text or other photos.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Commodore wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:55 pm BethA - Nice racing. You're so fast, like a blurrrrr!
After many successful 5Ks, I ran my first half-marathon yesterday in Lake Placid. Beautiful, beautiful course. Start on the Olympic oval, run through town, around Mirror Lake, out to the ski jumps and under Whiteface Mt. Fantastic scenery in the Adirondack mountains that are brilliant with fall color. Sore legs today, but not so bad that I couldn't row to the beach for complete recovery at the Tiki Bar.
Congrats on your half-marathon, it sounds great! I will continue to aspire to that, have done a bunch of local 5K, 5 mile, and 10K races so far.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:57 pm

And what was your time?
I see Joe responded already about posting a picture. Many people seem reluctant to share their race times, I don’t know why. To me, it is what it is, and I really am only competing with myself. If I wanted to just put a positive spin on it, I could say that I won the 2nd place age group medal!🥈 Actually, I was astonished to get that with a 35 minute time. And the 1st place person in our age group was Divine! (that’s her name)!

In past years, I was mostly in the under 30 group, and plan to get back to that!! 🏃🏻‍♀️
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final report since shuttles to the shore have come to a complete stop over the last few hours.

We have four on the ship and 105 on the shore. Glyn, the Commodore and Matthew M have made it to shore while Sew Young will be keeping Isaac company until Thursday

I hesitated posting this until the last minute but since it is related to a grid answer and not the meta, here it is. I almost choked when I saw the answer to 26 down as I have collected them from all over the world on my travels - much to the annoyance of my wife. Here is a picture of some of them
IMG_1544-2.JPG
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Guess I’ll have to swim to shore now, since I missed the last Muggle shuttle. I see a big bonfire on shore- looks like the party is really getting going. And looking forward to seeing you all shipside next Thursday/Friday🙋‍♀️
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

I have a bunch of Coke cans from all over the world too!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Feeling a bit dull today - so sitting it out with Isaac and wondering if a lightbulb will appear before midnight.
One world. One planet. One future.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

Ashore. Did it Friday but have been too busy to remember to post.

Didn't get it at first, but then the clue to the first part of the answer jumped out at me.
jhcogan

Post by jhcogan »

Solved the grid on Friday again, and have been contemplating it on & off since. Not getting anything more. Looks like I'm staying aboard the ship this week.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Dom is not feeling it this week - turning in early without turning in a solution.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

pddigi wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:47 pm Dom is not feeling it this week - turning in early without turning in a solution.
And not ten minutes later, he hits with me a text with the correct answer! I guess he wasn't willing to go down without one last try, and it was a success!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

pddigi wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:57 pm
pddigi wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:47 pm Dom is not feeling it this week - turning in early without turning in a solution.
And not ten minutes later, he hits with me a text with the correct answer! I guess he wasn't willing to go down without one last try, and it was a success!
Post-enlightenment once removed? I think that's a new one!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

BethA wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:29 pm Congrats on your half-marathon, it sounds great! I will continue to aspire to that, have done a bunch of local 5K, 5 mile, and 10K races so far.
Beth, you are more ready than you think.
And I concur, less about time and pace, more about participation, personal improvement, and social fun. Kinda Muggle-like!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Whew! Finally ashore, with little time to spare. I suspected that this was the answer on Thursday, but I didn’t discover the path to get there until now. My streak continues.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

GWtF WSJ Solution.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

I guess the WSJ publishes on Columbus Day. Anyway, the answer just got revealed.

Hope you had a pleasant slice of MOLTEN LAVA CAKE. :) :lol: