"Go With The Flow" - October 11, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore forks in hand..........good one and we're on a roll. Luck to all!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Yum!
I got it...but I feel that my meta mojo has left me. I first looked at this and looked at it and saw nothing. It's like I feel resigned right at the start. I don't know why that happened. It was only after I came here and saw muggle after muggle declaring how easy it was that I decided I should be able to do it, and then I got it.
Sean

Post by Sean »

On shore!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.
Bill Harts

Post by Bill Harts »

On shore. Easy peasy. Expect the beach will be pretty crowded this week.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Enjoyed this one. On shore.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 pm Wasn't there an earlier puzzle with a similar gimmick? How else would I have known so quickly how to interpret the clue that unlocks the meta?
(I also wonder if Matt originally had the idea of using a Braves pitcher but then had to give it up for a less subtle entry.)
Yes, there was, in summer 2017, but if I said more it would be a spoiler. I thought the same thing -- about the gimmick, that is; I know nothing about whatever sport it is that involves a pitcher.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

WDunbar wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 pm Ashore. Definitely an easy one, or at least I happened to grok it right away. Way less than ten minutes for the grid, and less than a minute for the meta. Good one though. This would be a good one to show beginners I think.
"Grok"! We must be of the same vintage age-wise, WDunbar!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Inca wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:59 am Yum!
I got it...but I feel that my meta mojo has left me. I first looked at this and looked at it and saw nothing. It's like I feel resigned right at the start. I don't know why that happened. It was only after I came here and saw muggle after muggle declaring how easy it was that I decided I should be able to do it, and then I got it.
I won't say "I see nothing", but so far all the bunny tracks I see are leading nowhere.
So I'm keeping Isaac company - even though he's never heard of a reverse Guinness. But I took an envious peek at the happy and rapidly growing crowd on shore, so I'm not giving up just yet!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
gamera13

Post by gamera13 »

First time ever to solve the meta before completing the puzzle. Yay! On shore.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Liked this one, needed some of Mr. G's advice, but safely ashore.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:22 am
Bird Lives wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 pm <sniip>
(I also wonder if Matt originally had the idea of using a Braves pitcher but then had to give it up for a less subtle entry.)
<snip> I know nothing about whatever sport it is that involves a pitcher.
You mean that Warren Spahn and Phil Niekro are not household words in the Walker household?
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ashore.

Fun puzzle! Followed some interesting rabbit holes and allowed a couple of other distractions after the AHA! moment.

I'll have two ibuprofen, please, with a Guinness chaser.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:18 am
Bird Lives wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 pm <sniip>
You mean that Warren Spahn and Phil Niekro are not household words in the Walker household?
Then Wendy would probably not know Lew Burdette = from the Boston and Milwaukee Braves
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 am
Bird Lives wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:18 am

Then Wendy would probably not know Lew Burdette = from the Boston and Milwaukee Braves
I remember listening on the radio to the game where Harvey Haddix pitched 12 perfect innings (1.33 perfect games) for the Pirates and lost to Burdette and the Braves. (I was young at the time, lying in my bed in the dark with Bob Prince's voice from the radio on my night stand.)
Jay
Inca

Post by Inca »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 pm Wasn't there an earlier puzzle with a similar gimmick? How else would I have known so quickly how to interpret the clue that unlocks the meta?
Yes, there was, in summer 2017, but if I said more it would be a spoiler. I thought the same thing -- about the gimmick, that is; I know nothing about whatever sport it is that involves a pitcher.
This is just one of the (many) reasons, that although my track record with the metas is pretty good, I'll never be up there with the greats. I have no recollection of all the previous gimmicks; it's done and kind of forgotten (unless someone brings it back for me.) I use no strategies. I fill the grid quickly so I often fail to realize the "obvious" words of direction in the grid or in the clues. I just kind of look at the puzzle and either it strikes me or not. I guess it's mostly my subconscious mind that sees the connections and sometimes decides to bring them forth.
Inca

Post by Inca »

KayW wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 am
Inca wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:59 am Yum!
I won't say "I see nothing", but so far all the bunny tracks I see are leading nowhere.
So I'm keeping Isaac company - even though he's never heard of a reverse Guinness. But I took an envious peek at the happy and rapidly growing crowd on shore, so I'm not giving up just yet!
I'm confident you'll get it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles.

As recent weeks go, this has been a normal first 16 hours with one on the ship and 68 on the shore.

Good luck to all in getting the meta and hopefully we will have another muggle win the coveted WSJ mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

On shore! Clever construction by Matt!
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Ashore - no help from Dom, and I beat him to the beach! I will let you know if and when he joins the party.