"Leading Men" - October 4, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
damefox

Post by damefox »

On some shore somewhere. I submitted an answer mostly through process of elimination. The options for how I'm going to feel when I see the solution are 1) really lucky, 2) really stupid, or 3) like there's no way I ever would've been able to see that.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

I have an answer I don't like, I'll be stewing over it at a table in the corner of the bar,...
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:55 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:28 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:01 pm Had a momentary worry, seeing 16A and 29A that this was going to be that subject I know almost nothing about. But all is well. I’m joining the shore party 🥂
Barbara
This is the month to fill in your missing knowledge
Last week a friend commented that he'd be staying home that evening to watch the baseball game. I was confused - thought I'd heard somewhere that baseball season was over. Apparently there is still something going on though.
Barbara if you're in Chicago like me, baseball season IS over :lol:

And like you, I thought I was in for rough seas when I saw 16A and 29A. But nice smooth trip to shore. Clever and fun meta - no search engines needed! Since it's early, I'll make mine a Stiegl Radler graperfuit.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore and sure, but not very excited.

ALS
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Ashore! Finished the grid quickly yesterday but a couple of bunnies popped out of holes that were dead ends. Had Isaac fix a martini before he trundled off to find Marge in the garden.
This morning with pen and paper all became clear.
Good luck to all on winning the mug!
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Ashore! Not 100% positive, but good enough to get an alternate answer mug if I'm wrong.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

When you open the thread on Friday morning and it's already to page 5, you know you should get it! This was one I actually got before finishing it--that is so rare for me that I may have an early Bloody Mary!! On the beach, happily.
juliet

Post by juliet »

I'm onshore, and it's too early for drinking anything except coffee. Usually, for me, the grid is a chore, the meta process is interesting, and the meta-aha is delightfully satisfying. This puzzle was all in reverse, but maybe I'm missing something. Okay, maybe it's the coffee that's missing something. A little Bailey's? Yes, thank you!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Ah. What a relaxing swim to the beach this week! Count me on the shore. Good thing, too, since the rest of the weekend is so busy.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I beat Dom to shore - that might be the first time in over a month. 100%er! He says he is still working on it, so I will have to update with my son's status later. Have a good weekend all!
Hector

Post by Hector »

damefox wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:36 pm I think I've got the first one and a half steps, but now I'm stuck. Since everyone else seems to think it's pretty straightforward, I wonder if I might be about 40 years too young for this puzzle...
That's a distinct possibility.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

KayW wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:14 am Since it's early, I'll make mine a Stiegl Radler graperfuit.
I find it best with a shot of Malört at the bottom of the glass. :)
Inca

Post by Inca »

I thought this was actually a very well done meta. As someone who has virtually no knowledge of the topic in play (I "knew", as in recognized at all, 50%), it was possible for me, based on the title to google away to get the other 50% that I was sure had to be there. The answer fits perfectly so, although I did this whole puzzle (including the grid) mostly by feel (like a blind man in a dark room), I'm quite confident in my answer.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore! Forgot to post yesterday. Got caught behind all the Guinness trucks headed for the beach.

Still at sea on pgwcc and hoping for a lay-up from Matt's return with a Week 1 in a few minutes.
Saxerbrau

Post by Saxerbrau »

Statistics for the last 200 Puzzles!

As a celebration for the 200th Contest Crossword (started tracking online for the puzzle: "You Better Shop Around" on 12/11/15 by Matt Gaffney), I thought I would share some interesting statistics regarding winners, states, and more! If you would like more information about any of the stats below, let me know in a reply.

By the way, I am on shore this week, and looking forward to another 200 contests.

Top 5 states for Winners
  • California – 22
    Massachusetts – 19
    New York – 17
    Ohio – 12
    Texas – 12
Top 5 Cities for Winners
  • Portland, Oregon – 3
    Colorado Springs, Colorado – 3
    Berkeley, California – 3
    Cotuit, Massachusetts – 3
    Palo Alto, California – 2
Winners with more than one win
  • Laurie Dings, Cotuit, MA – 3 Mugs Won
    Kurt Huddleston, Lisle, IL – 2 Mugs Won
    Melanie Frost, Colorado Springs, CO – 2 Mugs Won
    Yossi Fendel, Berkeley, CA – 2 Mugs Won
States that have yet to win a contest crossword
Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.

Duplicate titles
  • City Folk – 2 Times it has been used
    Secret Ingredients - 2 Times it has been used
    Marking Time - 2 Times it has been used
Number of Titles by Author
  • Gaffney, Matt 100
    Kelly, Marie 63
    Shenk, Mike 16
    Berry, Patrick 13
    Gordon, Peter 6
    Muller, Pete 1
    McClary, Todd 1
    Grand Total 200
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Saxerbrau wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:51 am Statistics for the last 200 Puzzles! ....
Sweet! I love data. Thanks for this!
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Ashore.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

We thought we had a plausible solution Thursday evening but had second thoughts because it didn't seem to have that "aha" feeling. We spent the night with Isaac admiring MaineMarge's garden and decided this morning that our answer was the best we could do. Ashore!
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Hanging out with Isaac again. Maybe I’ll have an epiphany on Saturday, like last week. This seems like something I should be able to get, but not sure I am going the right way.
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

Fairly straightforward, though there was one brief sleeping policeman (I’d call it a speed bump, but the forum seems only to have a choice for British English when signing up, so...).

Long-time lurker, first-time poster, happy to be ashore. I’ve had a decent run lately, so I am sure that failure looms large in the near future. Oh well; I shall take my good fortune where I find it.