"Leading Men" - October 4, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

damefox wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:36 pm I think I've got the first one and a half steps, but now I'm stuck. Since everyone else seems to think it's pretty straightforward, I wonder if I might be about 40 years too young for this puzzle...
If you are trying to make most of us feel old, you are succeeding. :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:28 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:01 pm Had a momentary worry, seeing 16A and 29A that this was going to be that subject I know almost nothing about. But all is well. I’m joining the shore party 🥂
Barbara
This is the month to fill in your missing knowledge
Last week a friend commented that he'd be staying home that evening to watch the baseball game. I was confused - thought I'd heard somewhere that baseball season was over. Apparently there is still something going on though.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Toby wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:03 pm Solved. Nice classic meta that took just the right amount of time to solve.
Where have you been. I have not seen you in a few weeks. Hope everything is OK
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MaineMarge wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:29 pm 🤸🏼‍♂️ Finished the grid and meta, but no way I’m leaving the garden this early. It needs some TLC, (and Isaac too) so I’m staying aboard for the weekend. So Bob, count me as 12d in the stern garden for the time being. It’s a lot warmer there than in my own Maine garden now- first snowflakes coming tomorrow. Hope it’s not going to be an 18d situation.
Isaac agreed to help you with the garden as he has a small customer base this week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
alexis'mom

Post by alexis'mom »

on shore, and now for a matt gaffney week 1
JimmyJam

Post by JimmyJam »

With less than 100% certainty this week, I’m ashore. A post-submission Stella or two may edge me closer to certainty.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on the sand again.......seemed rather straightforward - hope there's not a "pageanting" going on. If so, we'll be PO'd!

Luck to all......
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Got a late start on this one, but I’m safely ashore and staking out a spot, ‘cause it’s gonna get crowded! ... 😜
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore (99% confident)! First submittal on a Thursday night (were initially reluctant to post as the print edition doesn't show up until morning!).

Folks have commented that these have seemed 'easy'..... we're perfectly happy to be able to solve some, so don't ratchet up the puzzles too fast!

Rita and George
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Sean

Post by Sean »

On the beach!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Pretty sure I’m ashore
WBYonder

Post by WBYonder »

On shore. And another Thursday first-timer.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

damefox wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:36 pm I think I've got the first one and a half steps, but now I'm stuck. Since everyone else seems to think it's pretty straightforward, I wonder if I might be about 40 years too young for this puzzle...
Pretty sure I couldn’t have solved this when I was 2. :)
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

On the beach in under ten minutes from start to finish. Either these are getting easier, or I'm getting smarter - and I am NOT getting smarter!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was not bad at all - done and ashore with abut a 98% confidence. I can make 75% of the information fit nicely into a packet but cannot seem to cram the last bit in there. I am sure I am overthinking it because the coincidences would be far too great for what I came up with not to be correct.

Gosh, now I have to do some actual work this week-end, DRAT!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Well, I have an answer, and it's a 4-letter noun, but I don't like it. I'll be with Isaac until I look around some more.
Cynthia
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Quick swim to shore this week.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good morning muggles
A very early report as we will be out all day
First we welcome our two newest muggles - Alexis'mom and StElmoFlash.

The beach is very crowded and is getting more crowded by the minute. We already have 66 on the shore and 4 on the ship. Those on the ship have an answer but want to have their morning coffee with Isaac before the fight for beach space.

Good luck to everyone winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director