"Leading Men" - October 4, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

Submitted an answer...not sure I love it
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Unable to post until now because my wife and I have been hanging with our grandson at his annual college family weekend. The answer I just submitted doesn't quite feel like a 100%er to me but, at the same time, appears solid enough that if I'm wrong, I will be able to mount a credible argument in my defense (which I will do after the deadline if it turns out that I am indeed incorrect).

Stu K
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

In the hope Bob can report a record, I contribute my report as being on shore. (I have been since Thursday night but have been traveling). For solvers of a certain age I think this one is easy; but others may find it quite hard. Regardless, hat’s off to Mike.
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

I am in with an answer but feels like I am missing something.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore after once again making a wrong assumption.
jhcogan

Post by jhcogan »

I signed up to the Forum on Friday after my first time solving a Friday Contest grid :)

I spent a while since then reading the FAQs and hints (Thanks!), and then reading some of the conversation about this week's contest, and I was encouraged a bit by comments indicating that the meta was not generally seen as being as hard as it is sometimes.

Then I sat down with my printed grid & my pen for about another hour this afternoon, and with no previous experience here, I think I have arrived on shore!

I submitted my e-mail answer a couple hours ago.

It's a good feeling! My new word-of-the-day (or weekend) is Muggle :D

-John from Vermont
Louwers

Post by Louwers »

My answer doesn’t tie neatly to the puzzle title, but I dare Matt to tell me my answer is wrong. (So I am arguably ashore.)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

jhcogan wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:04 pm I signed up to the Forum on Friday after my first time solving a Friday Contest grid :)

I spent a while since then reading the FAQs and hints (Thanks!), and then reading some of the conversation about this week's contest, and I was encouraged a bit by comments indicating that the meta was not generally seen as being as hard as it is sometimes.

Then I sat down with my printed grid & my pen for about another hour this afternoon, and with no previous experience here, I think I have arrived on shore!

I submitted my e-mail answer a couple hours ago.

It's a good feeling! My new word-of-the-day (or weekend) is Muggle :D

-John from Vermont
Welcome to the clan. Good luck winning the mug. Where are you in Vermont? My niece's husband is from Beebe Plain.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 6 on the ship and 123 on the shore

And we have another new muggle - jhcogan

Since noon Doug M,
Anomander,
Candy B,
Doug C
Kris
Phofer
Louwers
and jhcogan have found their way to the beach

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

I’m still stuck on the boat. After trying to jump ship a few times, I’m giving up and having another drink with Isaac.
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Well Duh! I just looked at it again and it jumped out at me. I am finally ashore.
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

Ashore, I think.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Unspoiled weekend musings:
  • PERAMBULATE fit, until it didn't.
  • A leadoff double, no less.
  • Thou dost protest too much, me thinks.
  • Youth will out.
  • Hope there's not a "De Niro" going on...
  • Don't give up hope.
  • Subtle: "In the hope Bob can report a record..."
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
darthdriessen

Post by darthdriessen »

I chose the wrong Bob. Went with Elliott, and answered TOES!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Host.

I didn’t understand all the doubts, as a host certainly leads.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Ps. Go Cats! #25 this week!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Last edited by Inca on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I got it but I was WAY less sure than other puzzles. The LEADING MAN kind of pointed me to (1) a male (2) something to do with the start of something. I did not consciously get the first one, but my brain said BaseOnBalls - BOB. I had seen HOPE in the grid and I then went to the next and saw TONY and knew that I had seen ORLANDO as well. What threw me for a loop was the DiNiro (BOB) and Elliot (TONY) - however both were a stretch because if you say Bob I would probably answer Hope (plus the Clemson Offensive Coach is hardly a leading man). So the stretch would have been to go with other names, which thankfully spelled nothing useful. But when I got the HOST then I was a bit uneasy. Yes Bob Hope was a host for sure, Tony Orlando also for sure, even Sly Stone co-hosted a Mike Douglas show, but Rip Torn was only associated with a host. I struggled because I was stretching the last two to fit, but they fit too well so I went that way.

I did kind of freak out when I saw Lead Out Double but if you didn't know the way home that was not really gonna help you find it. The I hope Bob...was more of a HOO BOY, but it seems it did not help and it was darn clever a way to sneak that in (not condoning because as much as I have wanted a hint sometimes, and also wanted to slip in a tongue in cheek spoiler I think we should not).

So, glad I got it, but not getting cocky because everyone has been saying how easy they are.Oh, was there any "MEGA HINT" like Mike throws in at times (like the "A friend from here would be useful this week" - MEXICO when we had CLOSING NUMBERS or "What are you looking at" - CLUE with the FOR GOOD MEASURE)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:02 am Unspoiled weekend musings:
  • PERAMBULATE fit, until it didn't.
  • A leadoff double, no less.
  • Thou dost protest too much, me thinks.
  • Youth will out.
  • Hope there's not a "De Niro" going on...
  • Don't give up hope.
  • Subtle: "In the hope Bob can report a record..."
Joe, I see the potential spoilers in PERAMBULATE = WALK and related to BOB. Leadoff double because it also relates to baseball and two Bobs, Hope there is not a DeNiro for sure and the one that made me gasp and chuckle "In the hope Bob...". But how were the other two related?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!